Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 23:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued

According to a media report, Volvo has discontinued the V40 hatchback and S60 sedan in India. The S60 is still listed on Volvo India's website as some dealers reportedly have a few left in stock. Volvo has also discontinued their respective Cross Country versions.

Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued-volvov40.jpg

The V40 is expected to be discontinued soon in the international market and is unlikely to get a direct replacement. On the other hand, Volvo is expected to offer the next-generation S60 in India.

Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued-2016volvov40crosscountryt51.jpeg

The V40 was powered by a 2.0-litre diesel engine that produced 148 BHP and 320 Nm of torque. The V40 Cross Country was offered with a 2.0-litre petrol producing 177 BHP and 240 Nm and a 2.0-litre, 148 BHP diesel engine. All engines were mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued-s60.jpg

The S60 came with 2.0-litre, turbocharged petrol and diesel engines. The S60 Polestar was offered with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged and supercharged petrol engine that is capable of developing 362 BHP and 470 Nm of torque. The S60 Cross Country was offered with a 2.0-litre diesel and 2.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine.

Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued-s60-cc.jpg

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2019 at 12:50.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 23:32   #2
BHPian

re: Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued

Correction: the v40 cross country was also offered as a diesel; the petrol was lower spec and barely sold. I’m glad I bought the v40cc before it was discontinued. I love this car to bits !
reihem is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 07:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The V40 is one of the most handsome looking cars available in India. Alas.
Old 6th July 2019, 07:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

+1. Ever since the V40 has been launched, I have been in love with it. It was the car that changed Volvo's brand perception in our country from old boring designs to the current futuristic design language.

India still might not be mature enough to accept a premium hatchback but why is such a gorgeous car struggling to sell in western markets, so much so that Volvo is discontinuing it?
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 08:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Correction: the v40 cross country was also offered as a diesel..
That Ford-derived 5-cylinder motor is truly a gem! Sounds incredible for a diesel car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
India still might not be mature enough to accept a premium hatchback but why is such a gorgeous car struggling to sell in western markets, so much so that Volvo is discontinuing it?
Hatchbacks have become passé, and with the introduction of the compact XC40 SUV, it may not have made sense to continue with a large hatch especially in its cross-country format.

SUVs are gaining traction at an alarming rate these days, and the preference for soft-roaders / compact SUVs over a hatch/sedan is evident.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 10:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

S60 was probably the most Indian road friendly Euro sedan, sad to see it go! Hope Volvo extends its support for the current owners.
giri1.8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 11:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

So this means we can get some good mouth watering discounts for the S60 Polestar considering that the industry is struggling to sell even relatively fast moving luxury sedans properly. I do love that powerful engine in it.
Old 6th July 2019, 11:47   #8
BHPian

Sad indeed! This car is a class apart. Makes for an excellent pre owned buy. The competition has always been lacking:

1.A class: No usable boot space and average petrol engine. Also really long (almost the same as a Laura IIRC) plus expensive Merc spares, repairs, servicing
2.1 series: poorly specced and very cramped rear
3.Mini: Very quirky design, So-many-circles. 3 door, cramped rear and small equipment list

Coming to the Volvo, it has a very usable boot and has a size practical for the city, comes in the CC version for poor roads, has the r design petrol for enthusiastic driving, great diesel engine too, has a lovely design and top notch interiors plus equipment. Plus if Mr. VNarayan's reviews are anything to go by Volvos are very very reliable and reasonable to maintain. All in all this baby is as stunning and luxurious as an A class, almost as fun to drive as a Mini, and as reliable as a 1 series. Only issue is the lack of service centres.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th July 2019 at 10:31. Reason: Spacing
Old 6th July 2019, 16:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
So this means we can get some good mouth watering discounts for the S60 Polestar considering that the industry is struggling to sell even relatively fast moving luxury sedans properly. I do love that powerful engine in it.
On a whatsapp group, there was a post of a S60 Polestar AWD unregistered demo car going for 25L ex-showroom. Could be worth checking out.

That being said, a friend picked up a Volvo S60 - and boy that CBU suspension is just brilliant compared to it's peers. Waiting for the new model to come out.

The V40 on the other hand, there are owners who love it, but in general - it's a slow segment so I don't think it makes sense for Volvo to invest in launching a new model - rather focus on the XC40 which is compact + more Indian road friendly.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 16:46   #10
BHPian

I own the the rare V40CC petrol version. It's been a brilliant car,I got mine polestar-ed and added a heico sport exhaust. It's been worth every bit to own the car. The ground clearance has been pretty good and after having polestar done, the car has been exceptional to drive. Had the engine bed replaced recently, total cost of ownership has been lesser than my Skoda yeti.
ninjax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 18:07   #11
BHPian

Oh no! Im glad I have my 2016 V40! Love the build quality, the 5 cylinder 150hp engine is FAST and the all black interiors are classy, its a CBU so no compromise there.

Only thing below par is the ride quality due to the low profile tyres offered with the R design variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo V40 & S60 discontinued-dsc_01872.jpg  

Y@SH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 19:02   #12
BANNED

I think V40 has been discontinued in Sweden since quite a few months now. I rented a V40 in Stockholm in May this year, and wanted to learn about a few unique features in the car so that I could use them properly, but to my dismay, the model' information was not showing on the website. Upon further research, the website said the model has been discontinued and replaced with XC40. So, it was just a matter of time, it had to go from the Indian market too. It was a nice car (cross country) and I enjoyed driving it for a week in Sweden, but I guess our country is still not ready for such cars.
Old 6th July 2019, 19:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
On a whatsapp group, there was a post of a S60 Polestar AWD unregistered demo car going for 25L ex-showroom. Could be worth checking out.
How safe is it buying a demo car of a model that is being phased out?

Especially considering that the new model is not a facelift, but a completely new platform (SPA). How long will Volvo support the car? and what about spares?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th July 2019 at 10:31. Reason: Spacing
Old 7th July 2019, 01:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
How safe is it buying a demo car of a model that is being phased out?
Especially considering that the new model is not a facelift, but a completely new platform (SPA). How long will Volvo support the car? and what about spares?
Going by Volvo’s history (globally), support and spares will probably be available forever !
Old 7th July 2019, 02:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

That being said, a friend picked up a Volvo S60 - and boy that CBU suspension is just brilliant compared to it's peers. Waiting for the new model to come out.

The V40 on the other hand, there are owners who love it, but in general - it's a slow segment so I don't think it makes sense for Volvo to invest in launching a new model - rather focus on the XC40 which is compact + more Indian road friendly.
Could you shed some more light on this polestar available for sale please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks