Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 17:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh

Mod Note: BHPian Godzilla's Nissan Kicks Diesel Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The Nissan Kicks diesel is now available in an entry-level XE trim. It is priced at Rs. 9.89 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh-new-nissan-kicks-diesel-variant.jpg

The XE variant is equipped with automatic climate control, rear air-con vents, 2-DIN audio system with Bluetooth connectivity and a cooled glove box. It also gets safety feature such as dual front airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist and rear parking sensors.

Additionally, Nissan has updated the features list on the XL, XV and XV Pre variants. The XL variant now gets Vehicle Dynamics Control, Eco mode, 17-inch alloy wheels, front fog lamps, roof rails, multi-function steering wheel, 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh-nissan-kicks-xe-variant-infographic.jpg

The XV trim gets LED projector headlamps, smart card for keyless entry, engine start/stop button, cruise control, hill-start assist, 2 tweeters and electrically adjustable and foldable ORVMs.

The XV Pre variant is available with a dual-tone black & brown interior theme with carbon fibre finish, leather seats and leather wrapped dashboard, 360-degree camera, side airbags, automatic headlamps with cornering front fog lamps and rains sensing wipers among other features.

The Nissan Kicks is available with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 105 BHP @ 5,600 rpm and 142 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm and a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit putting out 108 BHP @ 3,850 rpm and 240 Nm of torque @ 1,750 rpm. The petrol engine comes paired with a 5-speed manual transmission, while the diesel engine gets a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

XE - Rs. 9.89 lakh

XL - Rs. 11.09 lakh

XV - Rs. 12.51 lakh

XV Pre - Rs. 13.69 lakh

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 18th January 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Adding review link
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 17:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh

I think we can expect that this strategy will be followed by other manufacturers too. They can't reduce the price of existing models as it would seem that they launched the vehicle with higher prices in the first place, but instead they can introduce a base model with lower price.
Old 7th August 2019, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Most underrated car - if they take a cue from the Yaris and introduce an automatic for all variants including XE, it will resurrect the Kicks' flagging fortunes
JishD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 17:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Most underrated car - if they take a cue from the Yaris and introduce an automatic for all variants including XE, it will resurrect the Kicks' flagging fortunes
You're assuming that Nissan actually cares enough to push the vehicle and aggressively market it, which I don't see them do. I saw a couple of ads probably and then nothing.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 18:39   #5
BHPian

They should have done it earlier but it's never too late. Both Hyundai Creta and Maruti Suzuki Brezza are the big names in the segment. But 'Kicks' failed to create the buzz it was expected. Even the new entrant Hyundai Venue is a hit among the masses.

Unless a product makes an impact on it's arrival it's very hard to sell. Pricing is the key which Nissan failed to notice. Good Luck now
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The XE variant is equipped with automatic climate control, rear air-con vents, 2-DIN audio system with Bluetooth connectivity and a cooled glove box. It also gets safety feature such as dual front airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist and rear parking sensors.
Seems to have the basics covered barring rear wiper/defogger. Looks to be a more practical buy at this price than the mid variants of the cramped sub 4 metre cars. Gets a good proven diesel engine too with 6MT box. Anything critical I'm missing other than the poor Nissan brand experience?
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 19:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Seems to have the basics covered barring rear wiper/defogger. Looks to be a more practical buy at this price than the mid variants of the cramped sub 4 metre cars. Gets a good proven diesel engine too with 6MT box. Anything critical I'm missing other than the poor Nissan brand experience?
That is main critical point. The level of service and cost of service drives people away. Quite contrary to Japanese experience. Non availability of AMT (which is also not available in Captur) is also pushing probable buyers like me.
Old 7th August 2019, 20:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I read somewhere recently that Nissan sold more Terranos in the same month compared to the Kicks. Is that right? (I'm confused because I thought the Terrano was discontinued.) Pardon my ignorance.

If that is true - it tells the real reason why the Kicks isn't selling.
  • It doesn't look exactly what we Indians consider as an SUV. Too quirky. Not a "Safe" design.
  • People know its based on the Duster platform. Its now considered old. Rightfully so.
  • Nissan-Renault's broken marriage is well known and there is uncertainty about future.
  • After sales services are not that cheap for this brand.

I don't think adding a base trim level will make any difference in this car's fortunes at all. They got the pricing wrong. They got the trims wrong as well. Such blunders can't be rolled back in this industry once you have customers on road who purchased it. If you suddenly lower prices / add more features - those existing customers get estranged & word of mouth spreads fast that this brand is not good.

I'm astounded that Nissan made a mess at launch - AGAIN. Look at MG, KIA (expected), heck - even the now SUV leader Hyundai with the Venue. At launch the cars MUST be priced aggressively in this market for them to be looked at by customers. You should target heavy profit making 2 years down the production run.

It seems this industry hires the most incompetent bean counters .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 22:09   #9
BHPian

Nissan KICKS got the much needed prime time Ads,during the ICC World Cup. But that too didn't help its fading fortune. But with (just) 132 units, its stands as a best seller among Nissan Cars for July 2019.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2019 at 15:33. Reason: typo
india008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

They could have went Hero's 200cc pricing strategy which targeted the lower segment, this way they can have multiple USP that others in no way can match (space, size comfort and so on). Such tangible difference will convince the buyers even before the sales person has a chance to open his mouth.

P.S : I just love the way kicks looks and what it is as a package! If they had better sales/service and an autobox, would have tilted towards it

Last edited by giri1.8 : 7th August 2019 at 23:54.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 05:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

I so wanted to pick the Kicks after phenomenal ownership experience with my Terrano. I was keen on a fully loaded model after experiencing my spartan Terrano for almost 5 years. The pricing of XV Pre killed it for me, it was just too expensive for a car which was just going to be clone my current car in facny clothes. Eventually I picked the XUV but given an option I would love to replace my ageing Terrano with this just for the sake of good time I had with my Terrano. I still absolutely love it.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 07:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I so wanted to pick the Kicks after phenomenal ownership experience with my Terrano. I was keen on a fully loaded model after experiencing my spartan Terrano for almost 5 years. The pricing of XV Pre killed it for me, it was just too expensive for a car which was just going to be clone my current car in facny clothes. Eventually I picked the XUV but given an option I would love to replace my ageing Terrano with this just for the sake of good time I had with my Terrano. I still absolutely love it.
The new duster might be an interesting option for you in that case.
Old 8th August 2019, 08:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The new duster might be an interesting option for you in that case.
I just picked the XUV. Terrano is my secondary car now. An immediate replacement is not on cards. I mentioned that too reiterate my love for Terrano.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 09:08   #14
BHPian

Good move but too late for it to work now. This should have been the case from launch itself. The top spec pricing was dangerously close to Creta with lesser equipment.

Also, Nissan has not done any changes on the petrol variants. With diesel getting extinct from next year, the focus should have been on petrol variants and Nissan has completely missed that. I would call it lack of vision.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 10:28   #15
BHPian

They seem to have packed it even better than I thought. It has rear defogger, driver seat height adjustment, electrically adjustable mirrors, adjustable headrests for both rows etc. All essentials seem to be in place . Just get the car and drive. No need to go and get any accessories like what is generally needed for base variants. They have even given it a 2 DIN audio system with all the connectivity options along with front and rear speakers. Considering that it comes with 16 inch steel wheels, I'm guessing the tyres are of decent size too - at least 195s.

Great VFM product in these times of eyewatering prices everywhere. Should have come at the launch though. It's too late I'm afraid like mentioned by many.

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh-kicks01.png

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh-kicks02.png

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh-kicks03.png

Nissan Kicks diesel available in base XE trim. Launched at Rs. 9.89 lakh-kicks04.png

Last edited by theredliner : 8th August 2019 at 10:41.
theredliner is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks