Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:27   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Rumour: Toyota to launch Yaris in dual-tone colour option

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

But yes - this is the worst idea. They should publicly accept what is the worst kept secret in the Indian auto industry - rationalize prices and revitalize it. This is pointless.

I couldnt agree more.
Cars are priced through the stratosphere in general.

Take the case of any car whose top spec used to be priced around 10 lacs 8 - 9 years ago. All of those are now in the 17- 18 lac price range today!

Even the humble I20 when we bought the top spec earlier version in 2014 cost us only 7.5. The top spec 1.4 litre AT version was priced at 8.5.

Now the I20 Elite AT costs almost 11.5 on road! Crazy hey?

I think the manufacturers ought to rationalise prices and create their own demand and the government really should step in and help a bit with the Tax rates in terms of road tax and GST and all that so that consumer sentiment revives.

Else the whole concept of owning a vehicle will go down the tubes.

Ok, if the government intention is to price cars and taxes so high as to deter car buyers and force adoption of public transport then they need to really kick these state governments into hard action ref infrastructure.

For example all Central Govt property like the National Highways etc ( in general) are top class compared with State owned state highways.

In this manner, taking a cue from that, wouldnt it be sensible for the Central Govt to take over all the city metro rail / MRTS and flyover construction and road widening projects and push hard for their completion so as to relieve the lives of the tax paying commuters and at the same time, to gradually push people towards greater adoption of public transport?

Bangalore/ Karnataka is the perfect case in point for this as one of the highest tax contributing cities/ states in India both in terms of personal income tax as well as GST on goods consumed.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd September 2019 at 07:34.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:07   #17
BHPian

re: The Toyota Yaris dual-tone edition, now launched at Rs. 8.65 lakhs

It's just matter of time before Ciaz comes with Toyota badge.

Pointless to consider serious / expensive upgrade to address actual concerns to improve sells number.

Only move left for Toyota to do relatively easy & cheap cosmetic mods to try & clear the stock or keep it rolling till Ciaz gets the Toyota badge.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

My wishful thinking wishlist:

1. All black interiors not the sea of beige
2. Auto Folding ORVM's
3. Auto dimming IRVM
4. Auto headlights/wipers
5. telescopic steering adjust
6. Better infotainment system Android Auto/Apple carplay
7. Better designed alloy wheels (Even if they still go for 15)
8. Something about the centre armrest which eats into the space at the back
9. Rationalized Price (drop it like its hot!)
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:50   #19
BHPian

Yaris in sedan form doesn't evoke curiosity but this can be a good competitor for i20 should they launch as hatchback and price will naturally reduce as well.
Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how long they continue with this before eventually settling with re-branded Ciaz.

While offering seven airbags is a welcome move, Toyota also decided to charge a premium for it. Toyota could have kept the 7 airbags only to top variants and offered the car at a lower starting price tag to attract customers OR have only couple of variants like Glanza which came loaded.

Besides these, that oddly placed centre arm rest(Literally in the centre) itself was a deal breaker for me.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Look at the tagline "It's your success. Flaunt it" and Yaris sold just 51 units in July!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
If Toyota wants to salvage this, they should bring in a Diesel asap.
I don't think a Diesel will help much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishp View Post
Boring looks.
Engine.
Cramped rear space.
Better options available (Ciaz, City)
Over the top pricing.
True it was a combination of the above.
Those who wanted better rear space had the City and Ciaz to choose from, those who found it expensive had the Verna (which also had a sportier engine).

Yaris had only 2 USPs: Good safety kit - 7 air bags (even in the base model) and excellent build quality and NVH. Unfortunately for the average Indian customer these USPs don't matter too much.

As for the rest, Viid6639 has listed about everything that was wrong with the car. Although I do prefer beige to black.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Toyota being Toyota will continue to do experiment with pricing. The overall slowdown in Auto Sector has also impacted sales.

Etios twins were upgraded beyond initial launch and finally taxi segment started buying it as no-nonsense mover from point A to B. I think few changes here and there, small correction in price can help it go past 1000 copies per month and that should make Toyota happy till it brings badge engineered Ciaz in its portfolio.

Rather a badge engineered Ciaz with Toyota CVT can help them make it big in the C2 segment.

Last edited by i74js : 3rd September 2019 at 11:57.
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:22   #23
BHPian

Once failed in this market, a price cut or cosmetic changes will not be able to save the product. Examples - Ford Fiesta, previous generation Jazz
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the highlighted pluses and many minuses of the Yaris, I would also like to add that the success of the ubiquitous Etios is a big turn-off to many first-time buyers looking at the Yaris. Toyota is less a premium brand now in the sedan space. Altis is forgotten while Camry is non-existent.

The overwhelming majority now have the Etios (or at best the lower variants of the Innova) in their minds now. That unfortunately means a hardcore 'taxi' image coupled with the seemingly flimsy build and hard plastic grey/beige interiors. It is a difficult image to dislodge for a brand new similarly sized Yaris.

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd September 2019 at 12:30.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I find much of the hate heaped on the Yaris quite silly
+1

J CVT is still under 10L ex-showroom and has 7 airbags.

I have posted it before. They just need to add rear defogger, speed sensing auto lock, and do something about that arm rest. It is much better choice than buying under powered top variant automatic hatch backs.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:20   #26
BHPian

Toyota should have directly launched Yaris hatchback which they are currently offering in Thailand, and plonk the brilliantly tuned 1.5 litre petrol engine of Etios sedan into it.
A diesel could have followed later.
They could have kept the price reasonable with hatchback version. Afterwards they should have moved towards launching the current sedan followed by a sub 4 meters version. They should have followed the strategy similar to what Suzuki had done with Swift from the time they launched first generation version.

But Toyota became greedy and were overconfident about value of their badge.

Now a days most of the cars are reliable, except for Germans. Toyota cannot keep playing reliability card again and again and charge premium for the same.
Even the humble Santros and Swifts are reliable.

Customer looking to buy a small car won't look what the bigger sibling is offering. Someone buying Wagon R won't care what Ertiga is upto. Each car should have its own USPs which Maruti and Hyundai are able to create and sell.
I feel even Honda is losing way somehow. City's success kind of inflated their ego as well.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

They will most likely drop the price and a few airbags along with it.

In reality, the best way to sell the Yaris is with a Suzuki badge.
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
They will most likely drop the price and a few airbags along with it.

In reality, the best way to sell the Yaris is with a Suzuki badge.
I read somewhere that there will be a new base variant with 3 airbags. Also a new top variant with dual tone roof, Android Auto/Apple Carplay and better seats-may be black leather, I am not sure. I am unable to recall the source though.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:43   #29
BHPian

Finding a Yaris is as rare as finding pink flamingos in my town or rather in my entire State. I once saw it near a Toyota Showroom, probably a test drive vehicle. It looked bland and small at that instance.

Coming to adding "dual tone" to a dull looking car is another joke itself because as far as I know, this car was never meant for " I want to buy a dual tone" kind of people.

For whom exactly Toyota thinks is this car positioned for?
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Finding a Yaris is as rare as finding pink flamingos in my town or rather in my entire State. I once saw it near a Toyota Showroom, probably a test drive vehicle. It looked bland and small at that instance.

Coming to adding "dual tone" to a dull looking car is another joke itself because as far as I know, this car was never meant for " I want to buy a dual tone" kind of people.

For whom exactly Toyota thinks is this car positioned for?
This is probably final push to clear the inventory. They are offering massive discount in tune of 3-4L for employees. Minor Feature addition / stickers always indicate at growing inventory. The company thinks they can spruce up a model with little effort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks