Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 12:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki Dzire leads the compact sedan segment with a market share of 61 per cent, based on the total number of vehicles sold between April and July 2019.
Should be corrected as between April 2007 and July 2019.

If it is only compact sedan then Why are Etios and Verito in the list? They are both well above 4m. Shouldn't the list be named as Entry level sedans rather than compact? Just asking!

Coming to Dzire holding the crown position, while the first and probably the second gen sold mainly for the Maruti name, the third gen has been a completely brilliant product with proper looks, good interiors and to some extent premium feel. If not for the build, Dzire has got everything right for a compact sedan.

Also, in the list, I admire the Tigor. If not for the mediocre engine, it has got everything too but does not sell even quarter as much. That is definitely because of the brand.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2019 at 12:04. Reason: Removed repetitive paras. Thanks. :)
Old 6th September 2019, 13:08   #17
VVN
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Dzire - The best selling compact sedan for a decade

I am no fan of MSIL but have to a give it to Maruti. They came up with a near perfect product and the Brand Name just helped them set the record charts on fire. Coming to the car, it is a lovely car. Looks balanced, feels premium, is reliable and loaded with equipments. Amaze is a distant challenger but thats about it. The compact sedan segment has nothing else to talk about. Tigor is lovely but that 3 cylinder engine just does not belong there. Aspire has the potential and I personally prefer it over Dzire and Amaze. Ameo just doesn't cut it in terms of looks (Subjective) and reliability and VWs attitude for India is borderline pathetic. Dzire deserves to be right up there.
Old 6th September 2019, 15:52   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
I am no fan of MSIL but have to a give it to Maruti. They came up with a near perfect product and the Brand Name just helped them set the record charts on fire. Coming to the car, it is a lovely car. Looks balanced, feels premium, is reliable and loaded with equipments. ..
Dzire has to be the most ugly car(Subjective) to ever exist on this planet. It looks like an egg on four wheels but hey, it's got LED headlights & DRLs so that might make it the "best car" for some. "Deserves" is subjective as well.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th September 2019 at 16:03. Reason: trimmed quoted post
kumaranurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 16:08   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranurag View Post
Dzire has to be the most ugly car(Subjective) to ever exist on this planet. It looks like an egg on four wheels but hey, it's got LED headlights & DRLs so that might make it the "best car" for some. "Deserves" is subjective as well.
Mahindra Verito/ Logan is not a compact sedan but it has not got its due.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:15   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranurag View Post
Seems like you live in an area which is 8-10 years back where only the first gen Dzire is available, and the ones like Sunny, Scala and Verito are not launched yet.

Have you seen the third gen Dzire? It is far better than many sedans including xcent, zest, tigor, amaze etc.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 19:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hated the 1st-gen Dzire, the 2nd gen was decent, but it's the 3rd-gen that absolutely hit the bull's eye.
I agree with you on 1st and 3rd gen, but not the 2nd. They just chopped off some boot from already ugly looking 1st gen Dzire and given couple of squared edges to it and voila! sub-4m Dzire is ready to take the position as one of the top 5 best selling cars.

In general, for any car, the back glass should be properly aligned to the windows. In fact, in most of the cases, depending on the angle of black glass, we can tell the sedan's positioning in the lineup. For sub-4m cars, this is the biggest challenge. If they slant the window too much, it eats away into that boot box and if the angle is less the proportions are lost. In this case of 2nd gen Dzire, there were 2 problems. First, Swift's window is small at the back, so the proportionate slanted window will look small. Second, to give that sedan effect, the back glass cannot be angled much. The whole thing resulted in not so good looking 2nd gen. But they corrected it in the 3rd gen, the angle starts from A-pillar to get that round effect that merge neatly into the back.
vijayshouree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 21:07   #22
BHPian

Taxi?

There is a slight concern, because the data includes commercial vehicles too. Especially Indigo. Infact the all the top 5 vehicles are very popular with the Taxi/Uber/Ola segment. But Dzire is the king of privately owned compact sedans too, just that the difference margin might be a little skewed.
Old 7th September 2019, 11:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Presume this data includes both the Compact Dzire and the normal Dzire. I personally find the compact sedan a terrible concept - you get rid of bumpers and interior space to provide a boot. But agree that the Swift Dzire’s implementation given the constraints is the best of the lot - especially in the latest generation. Still get shocked at how Maruti maintains such a high market share - living in Central Bombay, you would never believe that.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 13:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Dzire shows is dominance, apart from leading the compact sedan segment, once again becomes the largest selling car in August 2019.

Maruti Suzuki Dzire - The best selling compact sedan for a decade-1.jpg

Source :auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th September 2019 at 13:32.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 09:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Dzire, a top 10 candidate all throughout the year( a few exceptions due to the product change), shows its prominence in Maruti's line-up.

Maruti Suzuki Dzire - The best selling compact sedan for a decade-1.jpg
Old 8th September 2019, 10:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree. Indians wanted a sedan with a hatch footprint. People with design sensibilities find the chopped areas hard to digest, but it does tick all the boxes. My only wish is that it have better quality sheet metal, rest is livable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I personally find the compact sedan a terrible concept
Old 8th September 2019, 13:16   #27
BHPian

Maruti dzire wasn't really an intended torchbearer like say baleno/swift, but people loved it and so did maruti, which is why they did a commendable job with 3rd gen dzire.

I feel if hyundai had added some more bling to xcent, it could've challenged the crown. Nevertheless xcent is still popular among cab operators here, they vouch for its frugal engine and great ride quality.
Old 9th September 2019, 15:53   #28
BHPian

Being a owner of Dzire ZX+ AMT, i can say yes, this car provides almost all features and a price point which isn't seen in any other car in its segment.
The metal and pain quality sure leaves a lot to be desired.

But for me, who primarily uses this car for my daily commute in a congested bangalore, this car made perfect sense. Thefeature set provided in this car was what i wanted from my next car: From spacious cabin, to touchscreen infotainment system to LED projector headlamps with DRL and Keyless entry.

how does AMT perform? i would say initially i didn't like it at all, but with over 18K KM on the odo, i have come to anticipate the gear changes and take my foot off the gas to get a smooth shift without any jerks. The car pulls wonderfully even in AMT mode but a slight incline and AMT starts to change gears leading to irritation!

Manual mode is bliss to drive though with auto downshifts one would really enjoy the sweet 1.2L K12 engine.
Almost 2 years of ownership and so far i am very happy with my decision
Old 9th September 2019, 18:04   #29
BANNED

Even though a vast majority of our forum loves the 3rd gen Maruti Dzire, I have not find peace with the front end design till now. It feels somehow weird in my eyes. Even the new s-cross front facia feels weird to me. As we say ‘beauty is in the eyes of beholder’.
Old 9th September 2019, 18:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hated the 1st-gen Dzire, [/url].
Don't agree on this. Yes it has it's own drawbacks but had lots of positives also. Positives were -
- Bang for your hard earned money. Offered many features at really low price. Petrol models were really VFM.
- Very, very good boot space. No car offered so much proper boot space at that price that time, apart from Indigo.
- Maruti peace of mind and reliable A.S.S. as always.
- Decent space.
- Decent drivability till speeds of 80-100.
- Very good family car.
- First diesel sedan to be launched at such a low price apart from Indigo i guess.

It was such a good package that it killed its own sibling, SX4. I have used 1st gen Dzire for 60 K kilometers and never ever faced any issue apart from one single failure (that too my mistake, ignored battery warning in dashboard :( )
aniketi is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks