Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 21:17   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Dzire - The best selling compact sedan for a decade

Maruti Suzuki Dzire leads the compact sedan segment with a market share of 61 per cent, based on the total number of vehicles sold between April and July 2019.

Maruti Suzuki Dzire - The best selling compact sedan for a decade-1.jpg

Quote:
Recently the compact sedan has recently crossed the 19 lakh sales milestone in India.
Maruti Suzuki claims that one new Dzire sells every two minutes in India.
The Dzire petrol is also the first sedan to become BS6 compliant.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 07:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki Dzire - The best selling compact sedan for a decade

Hated the 1st-gen Dzire, the 2nd gen was decent, but it's the 3rd-gen that absolutely hit the bull's eye. With its bling and sweet interiors, the car definitely had the wow factor on launch. It even became the best-selling car of India in 2018, outselling cheaper cars like the Alto! Related Thread (Maruti Dzire dethrones Alto as highest selling car of 2018).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 07:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It even became the best-selling car of India in 2018, outselling cheaper cars like the Alto!

Do you think there will ever be a non MS car which will be able to emulate or do better than what Dzire has achieved in the Indian Market?
We know even today there is Ford Aspire which is actually better than Dzire apart from the wide spread service network but still most of fellow Indians will never think beyond Maruti for generations.
Dzire has everything a car at this price point can offer. Best features, best mileage, best after sales service, best resale value and low service costs. Enthusiast rant about the paper thin metal sheet but Maruti Cars are to be driven sedately at all times and in my opinion no car is safe above 80 kmph.
The plastic quality in the interiors is also looked down upon but in my view they are on par with Ford, Toyota and Honda these days. No match to VW and Hyundai, but MS has done considerably well in last few years in this aspect.
VWAllstar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 07:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Do you think there will ever be a non MS car which will be able to emulate or do better than what Dzire has achieved in the Indian Market?

The plastic quality in the interiors is also looked down upon but in my view they are on par with Ford, Toyota and Honda these days. No match to VW and Hyundai, but MS has done considerably well in last few years in this aspect.
In my opinion, Honda and Toyota burnt their hands trying to achieve exaggerated cost cutting. If you remember the 1st gen Amaze and Etios, how cheap were the interiors, seat quality and body shell. I am not a fan of Maruti but still DZire did no look cheap in comparison to a Honda or Toyota. Tata spent too much of time with their 1.4L diesel engine.
deehunk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 08:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The current generation Dzire is definitely a very well packed car. But I would not say it is the best as the current generation Amaze and Aspire are equally well built and feature loaded and might actually offer more in terms of a proper AT box and better built quality.

But what drives the Dzire sales is the Maruti badge. Slowly and steadily the others are catching up with more number of dealers entering tier II and III cities. But ofcourse there is still a long way to go before they can match Maruti's presence.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

52.9% market share in a decade, and leaving only 47.1% for other 9 competitors!

Think it is only due to badge value? Partially yes, but not the sole reason. DZire, especially in the current generation is an extremely well-rounded product. Aspire may have a better diesel engine, Ameo build quality, Tigor better looks, Amaze a better diesel automatic, etc - but none of these cars offer a full and complete package as the DZire does IMHO!

Would have been a very easy-to-recommend product if only MSIL took safety a lot more seriously!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We know even today there is Ford Aspire which is actually better than Dzire apart from the wide spread service network but still most of fellow Indians will never think beyond Maruti for generations.
Actually the Aspire is superior mainly in the build quality & metal strength. So was/is the Tata Zest and Tigor to some extent. However, as "well-rounded" product, the DZIRE in its current generation sure is a better product. Its not just the brand that is selling I think. It offers very practical and specious cabin with excellent storage spaces, low and wide stance that handles well together with sufficiently sized wheels. Feature list is quite good too. The previous 2 DZires surely sold purely for the brand and cars from other car makers were significantly better in comparison in most aspects.

Today its different. The DZire makes far better sense to put money on. The brand and A-S-S peace of mind is actually much lower in the list of pros for this gen. (Build quality and cabin stability never mattered to fellow Indians. Still doesn't!)
Old 5th September 2019, 09:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Actually the Aspire is superior mainly in the build quality & metal strength. So was/is the Tata Zest and Tigor to some extent. However, as "well-rounded" product, the DZIRE in its current generation sure is a better product.(Build quality and cabin stability never mattered to fellow Indians. Still doesn't!)
Aspire has better features as well with Ford's Sync 3, best touch screen in the segment, 6 air bags, looks better and more importantly does not look like a boot slapped on a hatchback. Pricing is also better than Dzire. Diesel engine is frugal and more powerful than the Dzire. Petrol engine although new has better performance than that of Dzire. Aspire caters to everything we Indians need with additional safety. The service cost of Ford is transparent and cheaper than that of Maruti (Currently own a Figo and had owned a Dzire before) Aspire loses out in the resale value but for everything else I feel it is better than any other compact sedan available in the market.

Looks : Aspire
Engines: Aspire
Transmission: Dzire (AMT available readily and mostly on all variants)
Performance: Aspire
Handling: Aspire
Fuel Economy: Both
After Sales Service: Maruti (wide spread network)
Service Cost: Both (Ford being more transparent)
Brand Value: Maruti
Resale Value: Maruti
Safety: Aspire
Interiors: Dzire
Ownership Gratification: Aspire (subjective)

So, Dzire - 7 and Aspire - 7 (Surprised myself, thought Dzire shall have more)

Last edited by VWAllstar : 5th September 2019 at 10:14. Reason: Addition of Safety parameter
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Aspire has better features as well with Ford's Sync 3, best touch screen in the segment, 6 air bags, looks better and more importantly does not look like a boot slapped on a hatchback. Pricing is also better than Dzire.
Hey I love the Aspire myself. I love Ford infact for its careful product design with no corners cut. But then -
  1. Looks in your list should be subjective too. Looks shouldn't decide which car is better as everyone has own likings and tastes. If you ask me - the Aspire actually looks like a boot slapped on a Figo. Dzire in current gen has a lot of distinction from Swift & the boot integration is very well executed. Face of the Aspire/Figo looks like a frog to me!
  2. While on looks - the Aspire looks severely under-tyred with its smallish wheels and large bulk above. DZire looks far more balanced. It has a subtle European proportionate something about it. Not able to pinpoint what it is! The look sure grows on you.
  3. When it comes to Petrol power - Nothing matches the Suzuki K12B in refinement and mileage. The Ford Dragon is good, but its a 3 pot motor and a proper 4 cylinder engine wins hands down.
  4. Diesel - both 1.3MJD and 1.5TDCi have their clear pros and cons for use cases. I'd pick the 1.5TDCi myself any day. Come April - Dzire might not have a diesel at all and Aspire might find a new lease of life. If Suzuki decides to put the 1.5 DDiS in it (they must!) - things will change again in DZire's favour.
  5. One big point for the list is space for all passengers & utility spaces - I think Dzire wins there?

And the biggest thing working against the Aspire and for the DZire is actually Ford's ambiguous behaviour off late. Partnership with Mahindra, talks of pulling out own product / R&D setup from here and what not. Doesn't inspire confidence. They should put some effort into PR to maintain brand confidence from a future perspective.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Aspire has better features as well with Ford's Sync 3, best touch screen in the segment, 6 air bags, looks better and more importantly does not look like a boot slapped on a hatchback. Pricing is also better than Dzire. Diesel engine is frugal and more powerful than the Dzire. Petrol engine although new has better performance than that of Dzire.
Unless you are talking about the 1.5L Dragon in Aspire Titanium AT, I would still pick K12 as the better Petrol engine. Team-BHP review claims the same too. Also, the 3rd generation Dzire looks less like a "boot slapped on a hatchback" than Aspire. But then I could be biased as I own the new generation Dzire. I do agree that, overall, Aspire is ahead of Dzire by a long shot. Apart from the (poor) built quality, the shoddy paint quality of DZire deserves a separate mention.

One plus point of Dzire, that you have missed out, is the ample back seat space. of course, for us who are always on the driver's seat, that hardly matters.

Last edited by DaptChatterjee : 5th September 2019 at 10:31.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Aspire looks severely under-tyred with its smallish wheels and large bulk above.
With the new Aspire, the tyre sizes are 15" for the top two trims which is same as that of Dzire. Again part of looks so quite subjective.

Quote:
One big point for the list is space for all passengers & utility spaces - I think Dzire wins there?
Looking at the rear space I sometimes feel MS has fooled the government and are selling a >4m compact sedan in the name of <4m.

Quote:
And the biggest thing working against the Aspire and for the DZire is actually Ford's ambiguous behaviour off late..
This is where MS wins by a long way. There is no match to their perception management efforts in India. Not even Toyota is better than them in this.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Looks : Aspire
Transmission: Dzire (AMT available readily and mostly on all variants)
I don't agree with you on these two points. I feel looks wise, nothing beats the Tigor. On the transmission stand, I think Amaze's CVT is better. I've tried AMTs and honestly didn't like it very much. While I do not like CVTs more, I still think they're better than AMTs since the former is much smoother. If any of these cars had a TC, that would've been my pick for transmission.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I don't agree with you on these two points. I feel looks wise, nothing beats the Tigor. On the transmission stand, I think Amaze's CVT is better.
The comparison was only between Aspire and Dzire. Looks are subjective and Cars are such that no one is liked by all. If the comparison was extended to other Compact Sedans a lot of these ratings would change. Like transmission would go to Ameo whereas Looks may go to Tigor. Amaze somehow is made in a way that it is purchased more out of necessity than pride or fun factor. It has everything that appeals to mass market and the numbers are a proof of it's credentials.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Think it is only due to badge value? Partially yes, but not the sole reason. DZire, especially in the current generation is an extremely well-rounded product. Aspire may have a better diesel engine, Ameo build quality, Tigor better looks, Amaze a better diesel automatic, etc - but none of these cars offer a full and complete package as the DZire does IMHO!

Would have been a very easy-to-recommend product if only MSIL took safety a lot more seriously!
I guess a lot goes to the rural penetration that Maruti has. I am sure if we take only metros and tier 2 cities, Maruti would still be on top , but the margin would be a lot less.
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:31   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

DZire is far from a "well rounded product". Poor build quality, weird looks, crappy automatic transmission & have you seen the tire width on the base model? Nah, I wouldn't call it a "complete package". My best guess is that it sells because of the milage that it churns out, low maintenance cost & the infamous "It can't be bad, it's a Maruti" mentality. Competition has failed to penetrate through the narrow mentality specifically in rural areas because Maruti Suzuki has always been a great company in rural population's mind, result of the Omni & 800 era. Hence, just because it does well in the market, doesn't mean that it's "a complete package". Xiaomi & Oppo sells like hot cakes as well but they're no match for Samsung & Apple.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks