Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 03:35   #1
BHPian

Could New Baleno shake up the C+ segment (Pics & Video Added)

Up until now Honda City has ruled the roost when it comes to C+ segment.
Even though it's over priced, ppl dont mind paying for the Honda badge (Now i am not suggesting the Brand image, but the reliabilty of Honda cars).

Now come sometime b/w Apr and June, from what i hear, MUL is going to bring out the new Baleno , it looks good (For me i still like the NHC looks more, maybe i might change my view once i see the Baleno on roads)
Here is the pic.
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Now when Hyundai released the Verna diesel, we had Honda trying to undermine Diesel's efficiency vis-a-vis an ad on their websiate, obviously worried that Verna would eat into their sales or for reasons unknown, but obviously to put the idea in public's mind that Diesel cars are not worthy investment.

But the janata who usually buy C+ segments car, generally do a lot of research about the cars (atleast IMHO) and then make a purchase, and reviews overwhelmingly support NHC for it's fuel efficiency and reliability, which was always questioned in other cars likes Verna Petrol, Optra and others.

(please note i am not raising any questions about the reliability of Hyundai's cars or Optra's or anything, but i am just talking about a layman's mind like mine )

Now as we all know Maruti is known for FE cars with low cost of ownership/maintenance and their unmatched A.S.S (i'd still prefer Hyundai A.S.S, as many of my friends are very happy with them, and i myself have had a good experience with them when i booked my car and had to cancel it as i had travel out of country :-( ) .

Now i am not sure how well Verna is doing back home, but atleast from word of mouth and online articles, Verna's sales havent been very impressive.
Which obviously could be the reason that NHC has seen no price drop, since it has really got no competition in there.

Now Ford and Chevy have come out with Fiesta and Aveo, but have they made into dent into NHC's domination, i am not sure and time will only tell.

But if anything that could shake up the NHC, could it be the Baleno, mind you, it also has the "Japanese" engine and backed by Maruti.

And i am also pretty sure there are a lot of Baleno fans in here!!

Your Thoughts!!!
Old 13th February 2007, 04:00   #2
BHPian

I didn't like the looks of the (current) baleno, but the new one looks great. Would be willing to go for it instead of NHC if the specs match.
Old 13th February 2007, 09:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
I didn't like the looks of the (current) baleno, but the new one looks great. Would be willing to go for it instead of NHC if the specs match.
Sigh! So many people to educate... so little time. Ok, look my Baleno, and repeat your statement again. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-75.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by carCrazy25 View Post
And i am also pretty sure there are a lot of Baleno fans in here!!
They are here, but they are all OMB fans. Looks wise NMB has nothing to stand out compared to Fiesta and Aveo. I love the long nose of OMB, but the new one looks like it had a nose-job.

Therefore the real difference will be if it can beat Fiesta/Aveo/Verna in FE (for Junta) and performance (for sporty drivers like us). Since it is retaining same engine but putting on couple extra 100 Kgs, I doubt that will be the case. But it is too early to say since nothing apart from looks is known now.
Old 13th February 2007, 10:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even though I hate the new cab-forward looks that are sported by most C-segmenters and which the new Baleno will also sport, I think the majority of buyers have no issues with that look. Or else, how do you explain the segment-leading sales of the NHC ? Also, peers like Fiesta are also doing well. Aveo is slowly picking up and you see quite a few Vernas also on the road.

However, before we know anything about the specs and prices of the new Baleno, it would be tough to say anything, as Samurai rightly mentioned. And given the way MUL has gone about with the Swift and Estilo, looks like they will not go wrong this time with the Baleno. Till then it is either wait and watch or speculate.
Old 13th February 2007, 10:53   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sigh! So many people to educate... so little time. Ok, look my Baleno, and repeat your statement again. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-75.html

Hey Samurai, I had a look but I haven't understood your point. Could you explain please?
Old 13th February 2007, 11:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Hey Samurai, I had a look but I haven't understood your point. Could you explain please?
No, there is nothing to explain. It is like a contextual joke, no point explaining, you either get it or don't.
Old 13th February 2007, 11:20   #7
BANNED

Ouch.

Now I HAVE to get it. Going to ask someone to help me out
Old 13th February 2007, 11:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

hehe.. nice pics samurai.. one of the best baleno i have seen....
Old 13th February 2007, 12:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

All non-supporters of the OMB (incl me):

Suppose the NMBs looked like Samurai's Baleno - All concerned: Note that Samurai's Baleno is not the usual OMB. Then ?

Then I would definitely buy it.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Suppose the NMBs looked like Samurai's Baleno - All concerned: Note that Samurai's Baleno is not the usual OMB. Then ?
That's a curious statement to make since you have seen my car first hand. Why is it not a usual OMB? I have no external mods except for tyres and alloys, if I had bought Vxi, it would have remained fully stock.

None of these photos were taken after cleaning or waxing (which I have never done). Most were taken after long drives without any wash. Latest photos (at Endpoint) were taken after nearly 150Kms of dusty driving around. After the last teflon coating in May06, I have done nothing but two normal washes a week. If this is not an usual OMB, what is?
Old 13th February 2007, 12:47   #11
BANNED

Normal Balenos don't have Mr. Rudra Sen doing the photography and post production
Old 13th February 2007, 12:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ouch.

Now I HAVE to get it. Going to ask someone to help me out
Hey, its the smartest looking baleno this side of the country. .
now do you get it ??

it really is, samurai, very tastefully done.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, somehow, your car looks more upmarket than the other OMBs. Probably due to combination of good maintenance, color, wheels and owner
Old 13th February 2007, 12:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Normal Balenos don't have Mr. Rudra Sen doing the photography and post production
If you notice, there is not a single shot of the rear of the Baleno. Not even Rudra's genius can make that look good me thinks!

The OMB looks best when viewed from the side (provided it has nice wheels like Samurai's does).

However, this thread is about the NMB, so why are we discussing the OMB's looks here??? It's now dead and gone. Long live the NMB.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:06   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Samurai, somehow, your car looks more upmarket than the other OMBs. Probably due to combination of good maintenance, color, wheels and owner

Heh heh. That's because the pics have been worked on by the best in the business. Rudra can make ANY car look like a million bucks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks