Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 23:36   #31
BHPian

Premier is actually in a resurection phase. Their plant in Chinchwad is undergoing expansion and they're increasing capacity for production of the SIGMA.

I had visited it a few months ago, they were setting up an assembly line for the SIGMA. Till then it was being assembled in a 'less organised manner!!'

It's apparently doing good numbers in Goa. (According to their company newsletter).
Old 8th May 2008, 09:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I know I am asking a foolish question but any owner's of the SIGMA or anyone taken a testdrive...???? There is a Premier showroom in Kalina...I am thinking of visiting it
Bump! Now that Mr. Behram has started a thread on PAL. I just thought of reviving this one as well. I was planning to visit the showroom for a TD but I could not. Has anyone on the forum?
Old 8th May 2008, 09:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Has any one visited the Premier Factory in Chinchwad?

Also does the Premier group still belong to Walchand Family ?
Old 8th May 2008, 10:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Salil, it is good that you have revived this thread - the Premier Automobiles Ltd at Chinchwad was then known as MTDC (not Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation but Machine Tool Division Chinchwad). I had gone there once to test the 118NE's noise level because they had some equipment there. The test was a disaster due to high ambient noise in the area.

The van is made in collaboration with CMC (China Motor Corporation). I have seen showrooms in South Goa, Dombivli (outsde the station) and Nasik (near Shalimar).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th May 2008, 10:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hi Salil, it is good that you have revived this thread - the Premier Automobiles Ltd at Chinchwad was then known as MTDC (not Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation but Machine Tool Division Chinchwad). I had gone there once to test the 118NE's noise level because they had some equipment there. The test was a disaster due to high ambient noise in the area.

The van is made in collaboration with CMC (China Motor Corporation). I have seen showrooms in South Goa, Dombivli (outsde the station) and Nasik (near Shalimar).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Apparently Salil is the starter of the thread. I am amit! I have seen a showroom of Premier in Mira Road too. Howver, all I see there are the roadstars and no sigma's.
Old 8th May 2008, 10:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sigma

I test drove a Sigma three years ago. They had a showroom in LB Nagar Area, Hyderabad. It then had an HM Isuszu diesel. There isnt much difference between a bullock cart and Sigma, except that Sigma is a litle bit faster. Very harsh ride. Steering was quite heavy, and the tuning circle wasnt anything to write about. Since then, the showroom has disappeared.
Old 8th May 2008, 10:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Premier is actually in a resurection phase. Their plant in Chinchwad is undergoing expansion and they're increasing capacity for production of the SIGMA.

I had visited it a few months ago, they were setting up an assembly line for the SIGMA. Till then it was being assembled in a 'less organised manner!!'

It's apparently doing good numbers in Goa. (According to their company newsletter).

Whatever they do they cant make a Premier Padmini again, the dies & jigs must have been given off. Am i right at that Behram ?
If they cant do that they are no good for me.
If all for a surprise could they still make, hope they do it with a 5 bearing engine this time, so A/c can be used with ease.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kavesh - It is indeed a sad fact of life that people who mattered there (and I was not one of them, I was just a junior engineer) did not share our passion for cars, especially the Padmini. There seemed to be a genuine BMR there (basic mein raada). Ask yourself the basic question - did they really want to continue making cars ? Or go even further basic - did they want to make cars in the first place ? Somebody passionate started it, I appreciate the spirit. It was handed down. Unfortunately, it seems that the guys who got it had other ideas. My grandfather did not start something like this, so I am doing what I am doing today. Think about it. Your conscience will give you the answer. The dialogue of Sholay is applicable here - "hum angrezon ke zamaane ke jailer hain, hum nahin sudhrenge". The japs who came with the Maruti knew this on day 1 and are laughing all the way to the bank 25 years after they brought the 800 in. Most of us knew this 25 years back (aa bail mujhe maar !).

On the 5 bearing crankshaft, we had a programme going to adapt the Nissan A12 engine into the Padmini. The steering linkages were designed and moved back to accommodate the engine. Chassis layouts were ready. You can even see this arrangement in the last cars made in 1997 (without the engine of course). That car would have been the ultimate Padmini. I am still searching for a 1997 model S1 floor shift with the modified dash panel. If I get the car, I will adapt the Nissan engine in no time in it. Cutting the body panels is not the correct way, it has to be manufactured as required. For me, it is what I love to do and I know that I will do a perfect job. Packaging comes naturally to me.

I meet many people who say "I had the Padmini", well both of us are part of the lucky few who say "I have the Padmini". Let's pledge to keep it that way. Forever.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th May 2008, 12:41   #39
BHPian

Behram,

In that case , I have the ultimate Padmini.. Nissan A12 already in and test driven.

Back to the Garage for the rest of the restoration.

Vijay
Old 8th May 2008, 12:47   #40

Can we please have some pictures Vijay..I am sure everyone is dying to take a look at it!!
Old 8th May 2008, 12:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus: Check it out here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ni-1989-a.html
Old 8th May 2008, 14:02   #42
BHPian

PREMIER LTD. - Locate A Dealer

just a thought .. how is it that all the dealers have given just their mobile numbers ?? they do have the showrooms right ??

off topic the premier site reminds me of joomla 1.5 cms for some reason

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th May 2008 at 14:12. Reason: plese use edit instead of making back to back posts
Old 8th May 2008, 14:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta9 View Post
PREMIER LTD. - Locate A Dealer

just a thought .. how is it that all the dealers have given just their mobile numbers ?? they do have the showrooms right ??

switching off the cellphone is easier than a landline right?
Old 8th May 2008, 15:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

Behram: that felt like reading a chapter from "Atlas Shrugged".

People without passion are like a car with fuel.
Everything is perfect, you just cannot go anywhere.
Old 8th May 2008, 16:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

I guess Sigma is just as bad as the Force Minidor !! Not surprised, the factories must be close to each other in Chinchwad!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks