Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 12:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kamiq spotted in India

Skoda’s midsize SUV for India will have much in common with the international-spec Kamiq that’s been spotted in India.

This is the European version and has come here for testing. A localized version( yet to be named) loosely build on KAMIQ using the same
MQB A0 platform.

The Indian version of KAMIQ is likely to be shown at the 2020 Auto Expo.

This CUV when launched will compete with Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos and the jointly developed Compacts from Maruti Suzuki- Toyota

Quote:
While the exact powertrain details of the pictured model aren’t clear, the Kamiq for India will be offered with turbo-petrol engines, and there is the likelihood of factory-fit CNG options too. Skoda will not have a diesel for India, however
Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20191107114829_skodakamiqfrontindiaspi.jpg

Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20191107114829_skodakamiqrearindiaspied.jpg

Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20191107114832_skodakamiqinteriorindia.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th November 2019 at 12:39.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 13:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Kamiq spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is the European version and has come here for testing. A localized version( yet to be named) loosely build on KAMIQ using the same
MQB A0 platform.
European = UK market to be precise? The RHD one in the picture does seem identical to the one sold in the UK market. I wonder why would they test a UK variant here in India. The roads aren't exactly Autobahns in the UK agreed, but they aren't as bad as India either.

Perhaps using an existing UK spec car to test out some parameters for the Indian version in early design stages? Suspension tunes, chassis behaviour etc?
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 05:52   #3

Re: Skoda Kamiq spotted in India

Is the Kamiq a replacement for the famous Yeti? It would be great to have a German/European competitor in the crowded mid-size SUV segment.
sid394 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 06:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid394 View Post
Is the Kamiq a replacement for the famous Yeti? It would be great to have a German/European competitor in the crowded mid-size SUV segment.
The Karoq is the Yeti replacement. Lacks its character and ultimate ability though.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:28   #5
BHPian

Who else gets confused with this Kamiq/Karoq/Kodiaq names?

I have been waiting for Karoq as my next upgrade. Call this naivety, but after driving Skoda/VW the Japanese/Koreans seem way too virtuous to be enjoyable . If only Skoda had not been so lazy, they would have been ruling this market.
shobhit.shri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Definitely an SUV focused approach here, if we were to expect the new Octavia IV in the first quarter, I'd been more happy to see its spy images rather than the Kamiq's. I do feel the Kamiq will eat up Octavia's sales and market share. Skoda's strategy has never been amazing with the Octavia. First the Superb low end variants cannibalise Octy sales, now its gonna be a head on competition with Kamiq. I guess the trend is pretty confusing. Even the Kodiaq might see a drop in sales due to Kamiq top end variant getting the new line of interiors and all new 2020 features. All the best Bernhard Maier!

Rapid<Karoq<Kamiq=Octavia<=Superb<Kodiaq. Here the Karoq will suffer the most as no one will be interested in it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th November 2019 at 12:11. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 8th November 2019, 11:57   #7
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Definitely an SUV focused approach here, if we were to expect the new Octavia IV in the first quarter, I'd been more happy to see its spy images rather than the Kamiq's. I do feel the Kamiq will eat up Octavia's sales and market share. Skoda's strategy has never been amazing with the Octavia. First the Superb low end variants cannibalise Octy sales, now its gonna be a head on competition with Kamiq. I guess the trend is pretty confusing. Even the Kodiaq might see a drop in sales due to Kamiq top end variant getting the new line of interiors and all new 2020 features. All the best Bernhard Maier!
Rapid<Karoq<Kamiq=Octavia<=Superb<Kodiaq. Here the Karoq will suffer the most as no one will be interested in it.
As per my understanding, Kamiq will slot in below Karoq and will compete with Seltos while Karoq will compete with Tucson.
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 13:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I do feel the Kamiq will eat up Octavia's sales and market share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
As per my understanding, Kamiq will slot in below Karoq and will compete with Seltos while Karoq will compete with Tucson.
Based on the pricing in Finland, Kamiq is priced almost identical to the Octavia, but Karoq is priced about 4-5k€ higher than Octavia - comparing base models 1.0TSI Ambition manual and top models 1.5TSI Style DSG (I haven't compared the features on each).

But I guess it's true that the Karoq will suffer the most as there seems to be not much enthusiasm for SUVs of its size and price (Compass, Tiguan, Tucson) , whereas the Kamiq would be entering in a hot segment.

Last edited by StarrySky : 8th November 2019 at 13:45.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 20:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
But I guess it's true that the Karoq will suffer the most as there seems to be not much enthusiasm for SUVs of its size and price (Compass, Tiguan, Tucson) , whereas the Kamiq would be entering in a hot segment.
Karoq could be a big thing and a flop. How many takers are there for Tucson, and especially for Tiguan? Tiguan's sale will tell us about what Karoq can do. Even Compass has a lower sale rate now.

There will not be much of a chance for a Skoda midsize SUV in India, such as Kamiq, unless it is priced at least in the brackets of Creta/Seltos (although Kamiq could be smaller in dimension compared to Seltos). Pricing it somewhere in the company of Octavia is going to take it much above 20 Lakhs OTR.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 8th November 2019 at 20:13.
Old 8th November 2019, 20:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Kamiq is a real good looker, was stunning to see the flash red shade at the Frankfurt airport recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-e6aceb100a7b4682a082f164c68a30ba.jpeg  

Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-7443ac45055d43f6a94ef6217c0ebfcd.jpeg  

84.monsoon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 23:36   #11
BHPian

Simply beautiful. It looks like a mini X1 from the sides, a very well proportioned and classy design. Going by Skoda's SUV interest, I really hope they price this competitively compared to the likes of Compass, Harrier, Seltos, Hector, etc and the Kamiq has tremendous potential to take the market head-on.

Last edited by Venku2015 : 8th November 2019 at 23:37.
Venku2015 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 11:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

India to get the European Spec. Škoda KAMIQ.

Name:  EJTxbSBUEAERfQi.png
Views: 7327
Size:  443.5 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 14:05   #13
BHPian

From the link that's posted above.

Quote:
  • The Kamiq will most likely be present at Auto Expo 2020.
  • It will rival the Kia Seltos, MG Hector and Hyundai Creta in India.
  • The Kamiq is expected to come with TSI and TDI powertrain options.
  • Expected to be priced in the range of Rs 10 lakh to Rs 17 lakh (ex-showroom)
This segment is getting crowded lately but can't complain about the consumer having more choices. I wonder if they will just pull their Rapid/Vento BS6 engines or also give an option of the BS6 engines that they will be launching in the Kodiaq/Tiguan.
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 16:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I seriously doubt it will have a diesel engine. Earlier reports suggested Skoda will tend to go towards petrol in India. The 2.0 TDI will be too big and expensive for this car. VW group has said unequivocally that the current 1.5 TDI will not be upgraded to BS6. The only option is to bring in the 1.6 TDI from Europe and localise it but that calls for big volumes to be viable. It is also likely to turn out too expensive for the 10-15 lakh price bracket after the necessary BS6 modifications. My guess is the Kamiq will get only the 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ith-dsg-412781

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th November 2019 at 16:40.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:45   #15
BHPian

UPCOMING SKODA KAMIQ SUV SPOTTED TESTING IN INDIA

Source - Overdrive

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/u...he-first-time/

Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-skodakamiq1.jpg

Skoda Kamiq spotted in India-skodakamiq2.jpg
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks