Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 10:19   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen to bring Passat, Golf and other cars in India

German automaker Volkswagen has big plans for the Indian market. The company already has its subsidiary Skoda working here since quite some time. Audi is also already selling their cars in India.
VW now aims to bring its own range of vehicles in India. They would begin with the launch of the new Passat in India.
This launch would be later followed by Golf and its derivatives. VW said: “We will launch a new car every year. This year, it is the Passat sedan, a B Class car, which will be launched in September. Next year, the A Class, which comprises the Golf and its derivatives and then, in 2009, the volume segment small car, which will come as both notchback and hatchback.”
Pierre Bruedgam, member of the board, purchasing, Volkswagen India (VW India) added: In our terminology, the small car is A Zero Class. We are also looking at the A Zero Zero Class, which is the equivalent of the Maruti 800.”
They aim to touch a production capability of 110,000 cars by 2009 in the Indian market. Bruedgam added: “We will begin our sourcing activities from April, first for the cars to be made here and then for the global market.”

Volkswagen to bring Passat, Golf and other cars in India
Old 21st February 2007, 10:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yippeee! The Golf in 2008? Great timing
Old 21st February 2007, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

They'll surely price the Golf above the Fabia ? Probably near the 8-9 L mark ?
Old 21st February 2007, 10:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good news !! VW have doubled their profit this year and should be more enthusiastic and eager. Come on VW.
Old 21st February 2007, 10:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
They'll surely price the Golf above the Fabia ? Probably near the 8-9 L mark ?
What body style? The hatch at this price won't sell at all.
Old 21st February 2007, 15:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thatz good news!

I have a great admiration for VW Golf and Passat! Soon, I will have a option to own them too!!!
Old 21st February 2007, 15:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

great news, VW is coming. if they launch beetle then it will be more fun. i mean i can see girls in open Beetle.
Old 21st February 2007, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

There were some talks about VW polo being considered for a launch in India.
Old 21st February 2007, 17:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What body style? The hatch at this price won't sell at all.
Dunno. Am just guessing given the current players in the market.
Skoda is planning to launch the Fabia hatch, right ? It will surely be priced above the swift/getz. Probably 6-7L OTR. Maybe even in SRV range.
Now where does that leave a Golf hatch ? Wouldn't VW prices be more than the corresponding Skoda models ?
Old 21st February 2007, 17:40   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great! So the Passat is coming next year. Butttttttttttttttt what will be the positioning? Almost certainly in the Accord / Camry segment. The Passat USP will be european build quality, diesel engines and some options.

But where does that leave the Laura?

P.S. : I dont know why....I just have a feeling that Indians will take to the VW brand very very well.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great! So the Passat is coming next year. Butttttttttttttttt what will be the positioning? Almost certainly in the Accord / Camry segment.
P.S. : I dont know why....I just have a feeling that Indians will take to the VW brand very very well.
It should be priced slightly more (Rs. 50-70K) then Accord and it would be the right price point to have it at. I hope VW doesn't fancy it's chances with the Passat at Camry prices. It may just sell here at that level but it would, like the Camry, be a hugely overpriced product. I just hope they do something about their electronics though.

I love the Passat. Have driven both the 2.0 TFSI and V6 and loved them. It's big, smooth, looks classy and more expensive then it really is, has fantastic finish and quality both outside and inside and in India will come with the diesel and DSG. Perfect recipe for success in India. Just watch your prices, electronics, spares and servicing costs VW, and you will hit a home run here.

Last edited by amit : 22nd February 2007 at 13:12.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:44   #12
BHPian

Golf is priced more than Skoda Octavia in the other markets. I doubt if they can launch it at under 10L price bracket. Fabia is based on Polo and that should be in 7-8L price.
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Golf competes with the Mini, isnt that right?
Old 22nd February 2007, 16:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It should be priced slightly more (Rs. 50-70K) then Accord and it would be the right price point to have it at. I hope VW doesn't fancy it's chances with the Passat at Camry prices.
But then, don't the Passat and the Superb belong to the same segment ? If so, would/can VW price it lower than the Superb ?
Old 16th March 2007, 15:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen has added capacity in China and is building plants in India to bolster sales of its Passat and Jetta models in the world's two fastest growing major economies

Volkswagen is expanding into emerging markets such as India and China, where sales are growing with economic expansion and rising disposable incomes. In India, the company aims to replicate the success of the Jetta in China where it was the top selling car model in 2006, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.
Volkswagen will start making the Passat in India later this year. The model will be assembled at the Indian facility of Volkswagen's Skoda Auto AS unit in Aurangabad in the western state of Maharashtra.
The company is building the new factory at Chakan near Pune in Maharashtra state with an investment of 410 million euros ($545 million). The factory will have the capacity to make 110,000 cars annually, starting 2009.

VW also plans to start selling its Beetle model to tap demand for small cars, said Tobias Busch, president of Volkswagen's local unit. Volkswagen is expanding into emerging markets such as India and China.[source:Auto briefs]

Source:
Bloomberg.com: Germany

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th March 2007 at 15:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks