Team-BHP - October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/215376-october-2019-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-2.html)

Is it just me or the YoY losers % appears truly weird?! I mean, a de-growth of -0.12% on Skoda Rapid for selling one less car than the previous month? Something isn't adding up.

Cheers,
Vijay

This point has been made above, with no sales figures being reported, it seems curtains for the linea and the Punto. Will service still be available as Jeep is/going to be around?

Tata is still reporting numbers for the zest/bolt, are these unsold units?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvijay (Post 4689598)
Is it just me or the YoY losers % appears truly weird?! I mean, a de-growth of -0.12% on Skoda Rapid for selling one less car than the previous month? Something isn't adding up.

(1/816) * 100 = 0.12
It does add up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vysakh (Post 4689643)
(1/816) * 100 = 0.12
It does add up.

What I meant was, weren’t there far worse MoM losers out there in the market who might have surfaced out to the charts. A data point highlighting a car sales as loser for falling short of just one MoM is just moo!

Cheers,
Vijay

While the passenger vehicles sales have improved, the rout in commercial vehicles sales continues, with sales down 25% compared to 'Oct 2018.

Quote:

NOTES:
2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvijay (Post 4689598)

You probably missed reading this point in the first post of this thread.

It's a brilliant all round performance by Seltos in it's very early days. This is an indication that people are open to welcome new players if they are serious about India. It has unsettled established cars in top 20 to gain higher position. However picture will be clear in next 3 months if Kia manage to sustain those numbers.

Why Tata is not serious about Hexa? It is such a mechanically sorted car but ignored by it's own parents. Tata should clear the air about its BS6 future.

Overall good month for some manufacturers like maruti, Hyundai and kia who have witnessed growth compared to previous few months.

Cheers. Keep driving.

Nowadays whenever the monthly Sales chart is up, my eyes first look for Tata's figures.

Really happy to see Harrier's numbers.

Trust Tata follows up with the Harrier Auto and Buzzard models to sustain the momentum!

Most awaited thread!

BANG!! That's how KIA has entered the market. Sending shock waves to all the manufacturers. They were advertising everywhere and the results are showing up. KIA will move on to No 3 in November for sure with just only one model . Beating Honda's, Ford's, Toyota's individual combined sales with just one model is a feat indeed.

Honda: In the same position as in 2011. Market was sidling towards Diesel and they had none. Today market is looking at CSUV's and they have none. Selling Idli's and Sambar in Assam :Frustrati

Renault: Knows how to be relevant in the market. :thumbs up

MG: Grand Hit. Its the new Kung Fu Panda of the segment

Maruti & Hyundai: Good show as always. Creta 2.0 is the next big thing. Will the segment leader regain?

Nissan: Better to talk less about them.

I am happy to see the Ford sales are not at all affected with the alliance they recently took up with Mahindra. There is hardly any impact on the Service centers or Showrooms as per my contacts.

Good to see the upward trend in car sales. Hope it continues this month as well. :thumbs up

For the auto industry October has been the best month till now for majority of manufacturers but are treading carefully as the most believe this fiscal will not revive the industry. This October was unique as all festivals like Navratiri, Dussehra, Dhanteras and Diwali occurred in the same month in addition to massive discount announced by all manufacturers.
Industry firmly believe the revival path will only be seen in next fiscal and that too in early 2021.

Maruti Suzuki: MS made most of the festive season and posted a growth of 4.5 per cent in its domestic wholesales but is cautious as it sees customers are still a bit confused in the transition from BSIV to BSVI which would not translate to sales till the implementation is stabilized.
But is optimistic as the inventory levels are down to 30 days at the dealer’s level which implies good retail.
S Presso is partly responsible for the growth path, MS now has a market share of 49%. It also has its eight cars in the top 10 best sellers in Oct-19 sales.

Hyundai: With Venue stabilizing at ~9k and Creta volumes dip due to the phenomenal numbers of Kia Seltos, the Korean giant sees a negative growth and also a drop in market share.
Kia Seltos is proved to be the ‘Creta –Killer’, selling almost twice that of Creta numbers.
Hyundai also has only one car, the popular i20 it the top 10 cars of October-19.

Mahindra: Has a lot to worry. Though it says it has a record retail numbers, its whole sale numbers are 21 %(-). It also sees the highest market share drop of 1.7%. KUV does pathetic numbers, Marazzo numbers barely scrape through 4 digits, Its Compact XUV numbers drop below Nexon and EcoSport. Scorpio is the only SUV that shows positive growth.

The cars that made the difference to their manufacturers:

Name:  star.PNG
Views: 8584
Size:  7.7 KB

The Best in their segments:

Entry Level: Watch out for S-Presso, could be the next 'ALTO' in sales numbers.

Name:  entry.PNG
Views: 8603
Size:  39.9 KB

Compact Hatchback: With Swift and WagonR in this, the numbers that competition does look pale.

Name:  compact hatch.PNG
Views: 8574
Size:  49.3 KB

Premium Hatchback: Baleno does phenomenal numbers and with Glanza combined shows the Badge engineering works for them.

Name:  Prem hatch.PNG
Views: 8547
Size:  47.0 KB

Compact Sedan : The Sheer numbers tells the story. Dzire is the only car that has a positive growth (y-o-y)

Name:  Compact S.PNG
Views: 8505
Size:  37.4 KB

Executive Sedan: A segment with only a few players and shrinking in growth, is nearly equally shared by the top 3. This month belongs to Ciaz.

Name:  ciaz.PNG
Views: 8495
Size:  35.3 KB

Premium Sedan : Honda Civic is the emerging leader in this segment, shows its fan following in 'CIVIC'

Name:  hion.PNG
Views: 8465
Size:  37.0 KB

Luxury Sedan:

Name:  Lux Sed.PNG
Views: 8417
Size:  27.9 KB

Compact SUV: Vitara Brezza bounces back and sees demand. The SUV is likely to continue in diesel variant till Jan-20.

Name:  cuv.PNG
Views: 8517
Size:  31.1 KB

Mid Size SUV: Dominated by Seltos, taking KIA to 5th position in sales ranking.

Name:  mid_Su.PNG
Views: 8398
Size:  32.7 KB

Premium SUV: Dominated by Toyota Fortuner and remains unchallenged till date.

Name:  Prem SUV.PNG
Views: 8419
Size:  42.4 KB

MUV Segment: A growing segment that is lucrative and many are eying to enter this. Currently no stopping for the Ertiga 'Twins'.

Name:  muv.PNG
Views: 8415
Size:  43.6 KB

Source: Analysis+Auto Punditz

The Top 20 has metamorphosed over the months with surprises. Nothing from Toyota, Amaze from Honda, Tata with only the Tiago and the Bolero (struggling at #15 with it's DI perhaps making loud noises to stay afloat) from Mahindra. The Innova, City and Scorpio all regulars have exited. The Omni's exit has been the Eeco's gain. Maruti's new Wagon R came at an appropriate time and has resurrected the model. The S-Presso has been well taken by buyers. The Kia Seltos at # 7 is here to stay and since it's not European or American, high cost of spares and puffed up dealers won't be there to spoil the Customer- Kia party. The Creta a Top Ten incumbent all the while has had it's times and now has it's younger sister, the Venue at # 12, while it occupies # 13. The Santro at # 16 is'nt living upto the expectations of the company and has showed a 31.4 % fall in it's sales figures vis-a-vis October 2018. The Kwid and Triber at #18 and 19 are near the exit door. Let's hope these two Renault entries do see more better days.

Sad to see the zeros from Fiat and Mitsubishi, who despite their good portfolios have not been good at marketing. Perhaps they need NewGen Lee Iacoccas which they may not be able to find with their laid back and lacklustre attitude.

Elantra - only 59? What happened here? They just launched the face-lift with BS6 engine.

Happy to see jump in Tucson numbers.. :)

Xl6, Ertiga and Triber. We are seeing a new interesting segment taking shape. Are we?

Wow, what an interesting month. Good to see someone other than Maruti and Hyundai in the top 10. I hope Kia doesn't rest on its laurels after the initial success. They have to introduce relevant and competent products in the market.

Good to see Kona getting traction along with the Mahindra EVs. With decent infrastructure in metros and well priced EVs, Indians might just shift sooner than anticipated.

As a City owner, Hondas attitude worries me. It seems that they have given up and have no plans of staying relevant in the market. They have literally let go of the market share because of their complacency. Starting to wonder whether to sell and cash in on the high resale of the City while Honda is still relevant in India. Pretty sure that the HRV would have been well accepted here but they have simply botched it.

Renault have managed to turn it around with the new Kwid and Triber. They really need to work on the Duster to consolidate their position.

Not going to read too much in the S-Presso numbers since these are mostly display model dispatches. We should start seeing the real picture 2-3 months down the line.

Overall, glad to see the industry recovering.

Thanks for sharing the analysis Aditya.

Good to see some positives in the auto sector after a complete dull year. No words to describe the new entrants KIA and SAIC in Indian market. Am really surprised to see people from town panchayats showing interests in MG Hector within such short period after launch. Good WOM will further help them to strengthen their sales.
Renault had a good month with Triber and Kwid. They should use this opportunity to launch triber with more power train.
Maruti had a decent month with all their new products performing well.
Hyundai : Their duo (i20 and grand i10) is unstoppable. All eyes now on Creta's facelift.
Mahindra: xuv300 now settles around 3.5 k month with Bolero,XUV500 and Xylo are performing their usual numbers.
Tata: Happy to see Harrier crossing 1k mark. Nexon can do even better at 5.5 k units with proper facelift. Tiago performing consistent@5k units
Honda : Amaze is their lone saviour. City doing decent at its segment.
Toyota: Glanza , Innova and fortuner are saving this brand.
Skoda: Waiting for their turnaround 2.0 strategy.
Volks Wagon/Nissan/Jeep: I think they dont want to concentrate on Indian market.