Team-BHP - October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/215376-october-2019-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-3.html)

C2 sedan sales is diminishing every year. A few years ago the top selling C2 sedan sold in more numbers than combined sales of entire C2 sedan segment of this month. :eek:

The two new entrants in the market, MG and Kia are on a roll and that too with only one car in their portfolio!

XL6 selling in good numbers and it absolutely deserves it.

Harrier is back to 4 digit numbers but Compass is still struggling (they should launch the diesel AT ASAP).

Spresso on 8th number is hard to digest, let's see if it can hold that position in the coming months.

It's sad to see a company like Ford struggling. I hope they launch some new products in India!

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4689812)
But is optimistic as the inventory levels are down to 30 days at the dealer’s level which implies good retail

Hi volkman,

So, If Maruti is optimistic of selling all existing stock in the next 30 days (or atleast by end of year), do we know what they plan to sell in Q1 2020 - specifically for models which currently do not have BSVI variants?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by styx71 (Post 4690094)
--

So, If Maruti is optimistic of selling all existing stock in the next 30 days (or atleast by end of year), do we know what they plan to sell in Q1 2020 - specifically for models which currently do not have BSVI variants?

Here are the list of cars that will see only BS6 in coming days.

Quote:

Maruti Alto, WagonR, Baleno, Ertiga, Swift, Dzire – BS4 petrol stock over, almost
Quote:

Maruti Suzuki has said that the company has about 14 days of stock for BS4 cars. These include petrol variants of cars like Alto, WagonR, Swift, Dzire, Ertiga. Post the completion of stock, Maruti has no plans of manufacturing BS4 petrol cars of the above listed cars.
Production of diesel BS4 will continue till the end of 2019. But Vitara Brezza zooms, so Maruti Suzuki is likely to extend production of Brezza (diesel variant) till Jan 2020.

Link

Glad to see Nexon at #3 on the CSUV list. It's a 2 year old model and still holding onto numbers barring last 2-3 months where everyone took a beating.

Mahindra XUV300 was shocker for me. It could not sustain volumes even for 6 months despite being well knitted and good build quality.

The sales of the CSUV confirm me few points
1. Group 1 buyers: Maruti and Hyundai (Honda in some cases)
2. Group 2 buyers: Mahindra, Ford, TATA

There is a long way before people in the group 1 even consider other Brands.

Tiago and Santro seem to be brothers from different mothers, looking at how their numbers are tango-ing, especially from July 😁

I thought that the Thar 700 was the final edition of the Thar in it's current avatar, as it could not meet the safety norms that came in from October. But we still see Mahindra producing Thars without airbags. I also see that the bolero has also not been updated to meet the pedestrian safety norms. What seems to be going on?

Ford sold more Endeavor than Aspire or Freestyle :Shockked: numbers need to stay up for Mahindra to not close down the brand. Mahindra's JV have been of mixed bag, hopefully this ends up being the most successful one.

Have spotted plenty of XL6 on-road, it does look great, but with just petrol option the numbers are amazing! might inspire Maruti to make more petrol only models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniyo (Post 4690114)
Glad to see Nexon at #3 on the CSUV list. It's a 2 year old model and still holding onto numbers barring last 2-3 months where everyone took a beating.

Mahindra XUV300 was shocker for me. It could not sustain volumes even for 6 months despite being well knitted and good build quality.

There is a long way before people in the group 1 even consider other Brands.

Not surprising. I guess a big factor is difference in price. For eg- my brother is looking for a CSUV. He chose Nexon. Nexon petrol top end is around 10.8 lac and XuV 300 top end is 13.33 lac. A 2.5 lac difference is a lot. Yes, Xuv 300 will have more features but most people like my brother will opt for 2.5 lac cheaper Nexon as engine specifications are quite similar in both. Plus Nexon feels more spacious with almost 90+ more litre of bootspace.

And there comes the bounce back! Why am I not surprised? It was very clear that the dramatic slow down in wholesale sales was driven by inventory correction in advance of the shift to Bharat 6. And once the possibility of a GST cut came into the picture, manufacturers had a huge incentive to sandbag sales. Fortunately, the government called their bluff and chose not to drop GST - with the result that sales bounced back in October. Of course, that’s not the only reason. As more manufacturers shift to Bharat 6 models, they can build inventories with dealers once again. I think the second half of FY 2020 will see very strong reported sales - barring the odd model where manufacturers have misestimated retail offtake. And those who are waiting for big discounts in Jan - Mar are probably in for a rude shock - discounts if any are likely only on unattractive model configurations.

On individual manufacturers, I have to say hats off to Kia Motors - they have got the price value equation right, and seem to be all set to replicate their parent, Hyundai’s success in India. MG is doing well too - and between the two of them, they seem to be adding to Mahindra and Tata’s woes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayek (Post 4690437)
And there comes the bounce back! Why am I not surprised?

I think too early to conclude that based on one month's sales.

Oct sales were hugely aided by massive discounts and festive demand.

Most bankers (based on demand for auto loans) and auto executives I have talked to are skeptical if the slowdown is behind us. The worst may be behind us - but too early to pop the champagne bottles.

I took Delivery of my Ecosport in October and there were 2 Mustangs sold in same month with one delivered on same day as my car's delivery. How come the figure for Mustang is 0???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhinav6683 (Post 4690443)
I took Delivery of my Ecosport in October and there were 2 Mustangs sold in same month with one delivered on same day as my car's delivery. How come the figure for Mustang is 0???

The figures are dealer despatches. Not retail sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkurt (Post 4690452)
The figures are dealer despatches. Not retail sales.

Ohhh. That means more will show up next month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4689812)
Compact SUV: Vitara Brezza bounces back and sees demand. The SUV is likely to continue in diesel variant till Jan-20.

Attachment 1932535

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4690101)
Production of diesel BS4 will continue till the end of 2019. But Vitara Brezza zooms, so Maruti Suzuki is likely to extend production of Brezza (diesel variant) till Jan 2020.

It will be interesting to see how Brezza sales pan out after introduction of 1.5L Petrol BSVI engine. It will loose the sub-4m tax break (GST 31% - - > 43%). There would be cost down from diesel to petrol engine, but tax increase would make difficult for Maruti to reduce price substantially.

So, unless Maruti reduces its margins, customers would need to pay similar amount but would need to spend higher on fuel (lower mileage and higher fuel costs). So, this is going to impact the ownership cost equation.

And Hyundai would be closely watching this equation with its 1.0L Turbo Petrol (GST 29%) and 1.4 Diesel (GST 31%).