Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Arrest warrants against those with pending e-challans

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Guess what, I drive a Maruti Ertiga,few days back I was issued an e-challan. For stopping ahead of white line. Amount was Rs.200. When I checked the image attached here is what I see

Attachment 1937936

The image shows TUV300 & Zen. There is 1 more image attached to it which shows only my car number. I tweeted this to the Mumbai Police & sent a mail too. But according to them the challan issued is proper

Attachment 1937937

My concern is not about the Rs.200 fine. But if I have violated terms I do need to see proper evidence. I wonder how many people have been fined like me. Or is this a new way of collecting money from others pocket?
The First photo has location reference. There is a zebra crossing and a white line at that signal. Both tuv and zen are liable to be fined as well.

From the second photo it’s evident that your car is ahead of the white line.

Although I agree that there have been several cases of incorrect challan being issued.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
The First photo has location reference. There is a zebra crossing and a white line at that signal. Both tuv and zen are liable to be fined as well.

From the second photo it’s evident that your car is ahead of the white line.

Although I agree that there have been several cases of incorrect challan being issued.
I agree but they should have sent proper picture which shows the car in full frame.
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:14   #18
BHPian

Arrest Warrant for a few thousand rupees outstanding fine.. what next, make it non bailable as well ?

Honestly, The department needs to make an honest effort to recover money, may be send recovery agents to the address (they can claim visiting charges if need be) before arresting every one out there.. Hope the courts have enough sense to strike it down.. but who knows it brings more business for the lawyers so it may pass through as well.
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:28   #19
BHPian

Correct me If I am wrong, the process is to summon the individual on which the car is registered to appear in court for justification if the fine remains unpaid.
In case the person does not appear after issuing multiple summons, then an arrest warrant is generated.

IMHO, The news is masala and exaggeration for arrest warrants.
If you happen to have a genuine reason to skip the payment, you may go to court and plead not being guilty or describe your inability to pay.
The judge may help you and waive off the fine.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 00:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My concern = let's say someone's address / phone number has changed, or for whatever reason the SMS & letters don't reach him, it shouldn't be that an arrest warrant is issued for him

While I think arrest warrants are too much, I'd say it is the duty of a citizen to update his change of address and telephone number to the RTO. I should also add that the RTO should make the procedure easy and it should not be a harassment to the citizen.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:46   #21
BHPian

While I support this e-challan system and have paid the fines as well when I was at fault, the problem is that a lot of times the fines issues have no specific evidence.
Case 1:- I have two no parking challans for parking my car in a lane outside my building(Where everyone has been parking their secondary cars for years), and the funny part? There's no no-parking board in the whole area

Case 2:- I was near Marine drive at 12:50pm. There was official parking from 1pm according to the board. So there was a traffic constable around, I asked him if it's ok to park as the official parking starts within 10 mins. He said yeah that's not a problem. I get a challan at 12:58pm for no parking! Once again, the official parking time was starting in two minutes.

Now, I have emailed about this and they say that the challans cannot be challenged and if I want, I need to go to their office which is quite far to complaint about it.

Also I've gotten challans for a rickshaw, a tempo whose number plate was super close to mine. Fortunately they had uploaded pictures of them so I was able to challenge it. I've spotted them click photos of cars parked where's there's no no parking board anywhere nearby. Is there some rule that I'm missing?

I'm all in for these systems but there needs to be more clarity and transparency about it
nimit3105 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 13:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:

My concern is not about the Rs.200 fine. But if I have violated terms I do need to see proper evidence. I wonder how many people have been fined like me. Or is this a new way of collecting money from others pocket?
I live in Nagpur. My car was parked outside my house next to my boundary, like every other car in my colony sans any obstruction to anyone. A miscreant neighbour clicked a photo and WhatsApped to the Traffic Police, who promptly issued a challan of Rs. 200.00. When I raised this matter with them, they told me that I would have to visit the nearest traffic police centre to raise my concern. I could not take out the time to visit them to cancel it and had to pay the challan while having the bank hypothecation removed from my RC. Sheer stupidity and lack of intelligent use of technology!
Jattitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:17   #23
BHPian

Well, I can share my experience about an arrest warrant. I live in Gurgaon and one day in August 2019, 2 cops come to my house, carrying an arrest warrant for me. No offence was mentioned on it, just "MV Act" was written on top of it. It was a proper arrest warrant from the CJM Court in Greater Noida

The cops also had no idea what that arrest warrant was about. They, however, went away without arresting, saying that i should go to court and sort it out.

I had to get hold of a lawyer in that court, go there one day, spend an hour in the lawyer's chamber while he went and sorted it out. It turned out that this was a challan in October 2017 for which i never got any intimation, no sms, no letter, no summons etc. Just an arrest warrant directly.

While this was an electronically generated challan, it was not visible on the echallan website of Vahan NIC or on the Noida traffic police.

I think they wait for around 6 months for you to pay the fine, then forward it to court. Court is supposed to send you summons, which they never do. One fine day, they will issue an arrest warrant in your name.

Waste of time and money.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 09:30   #24
BHPian

On one occassion i had been to police station to file report for an online fraud of 5500 rupees. The police officer told me that even if they try to go and investigate the matter to a concerned remote place it would cost them more than what i have lost so essentially it's not worth chasing, they will do what then can remotely. Needless to say no progress was made ever. So when i read this pending traffic challan notice it makes me feel as if now because government is in need of the money it will go to any extent to harrass and threaten public to recover the money but they are not bothered of rendering the similar service to public for the benefit of people where Government has nothing to gain.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:21   #25
BHPian

https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan

From this link, its apparently possible to check challans by entering vehicle registration number only.

Mumbai: Arrest warrants against those with pending e-challans-challan.png

Last edited by sen2009 : 26th November 2019 at 10:22. Reason: Photo alignment
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:30   #26
BHPian

Utter stupidity yes there are habitual offenders and they should be punished. Challans are ok for breaking rules but lately they are issuing challans left right and center.

I cleared 2 challahs for no parking, one when you can clearly see the driver in the car and once for when car was parked by valet at a posh Juhu restaurant.

And living next to a school the busses which are parked not double but triple blocking an entire street in presence of traffic police is ok as long as greens instead of challan is given. Autos parked in a queue on the street with no parking (washed every morning creating breeding ground for mosquitos) cannot be fined.

I am ok with the challans but arrest warrants when our courts are backed up doesn't make sense. Arrest warrants for repeated offenses like speeding, wrong side driving, red light etc is understandable.

Government is on a spree to loot common man, a car belonging to a powerful man with dark tints and a sticker to flaunt the power will never be issued any fines. Remember what happened when mayors car was fined in Mumbai?
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I paid 200 Re. for red signal voilation, they reported this at a place where I didn't go on the day claimed by traffic police, they don't accept Google Map's history as proof. In my case traffic police says there is no image to prove it but it was recorded and submitted by traffic police so it should be true. Who will waste time arguing only for 200 Re.?
lrsays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 12:21   #28
BHPian

Though I am based in Pune, I have been to Mumbai a few times over the last few weeks - so I was naturally worried whether i had any challan against me. So promptly went to the site and keyed in the car details.

Apart from the relief to know that I didn't have any challans on me, it was also a pleasant surprise to get some coupon codes ( can be redeemed at a number of places ) from the traffic police over SMS, as a token of appreciation for good behaviour on the roads. Thats a nice touch! The amount of discount wasnt much, but the gesture is appreciated!
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 12:23   #29
BHPian

Mumbai: Arrest warrants against those with pending e-challans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Though I am based in Pune, I have been to Mumbai a few times over the last few weeks - so I was naturally worried whether i had any challan against me. So promptly went to the site and keyed in the car details.

Apart from the relief to know that I didn't have any challans on me, it was also a pleasant surprise to get some coupon codes ( can be redeemed at a number of places ) from the traffic police over SMS, as a token of appreciation for good behaviour on the roads. Thats a nice touch! The amount of discount wasnt much, but the gesture is appreciated!

What are these coupon codes ? It shows up on one of my car's also. But I haven't yet keyed in my mobile number to claim it, please elaborate
Old 26th November 2019, 12:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
What are these coupon codes ? It shows up on one of my car's also. But I haven't yet keyed in my mobile number to claim it, please elaborate
The SMS came from Pune Police, as my car is registered in Pune. I received the SMS immediately after keying in my car details into the echallan site. The text is somewhat like:

"Pune Traffic Police Congratulates you for abiding by traffic rules. Redeem the coupon code XXX - visit www.aabhar.punepolice.gov.in. "

I am sure they would be running a similar campaign in other cities as well. A good initiative i would say, however small it is. Appreciating good behaviour.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks