Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2004, 16:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

The palio is cheaper in bombay as compared to thane, so y is everyone talking about ex-thane price?
Old 22nd March 2004, 03:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

Amit,

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that registering your car in thane always works out cheaper .....(by about 20-40k for a 6L-8L car) ?

cheers
Old 22nd March 2004, 03:59   #18
RJK
Senior - BHPian

spot on amit ! ur absolutely right since the car has a factory within bbay limits & outside bbay registration attracts octroi...

M3
Old 22nd March 2004, 04:02   #19
RJK
Senior - BHPian

rehaan,

for a small car like indica or santro or zen u save abt 20k straight & incase of a 6-8lakh car u save about 35-40k..but since FIAT has a factory in kurla its cheaper to register the car in bbay ( ur actual address )..

M3
Old 22nd March 2004, 04:08   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rjkulkarni @ Mar. 22 2004,02:32)]since FIAT has a factory in kurla its cheaper to register the car in bbay
Ahh...that makes sense..thanks RJ.

Is Fiat the only car company to have its factory within bombay city limits ?

cya
Old 22nd March 2004, 04:21   #21
RJK
Senior - BHPian

thats right rehaan..no other company has factory within bbay limits

M3
Old 22nd March 2004, 10:35   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]thats right rehaan..no other company has factory within bbay limits
Incorrect, Mahindra & Mahindra have a manufacturing unit in Bombay too (I think its Kandivali)

GTO
Old 22nd March 2004, 13:23   #23
BHPian

hi rehaan / GTO,
to answer a few of your questions, am not from bombay i live in bangalore. yes i guess the platnium spark plugs do make a difference, i cant really tell because i modified my exhaust system and upgraded my engine oil all at the same time and the car felt a lot better.
i 13 inch HR alloys with michelin 185/70/13 tubeless tires. the 1.2 is a bit sluggish with the AC on (mine is always on) so the best way to deal with this was to let the car breath and exhale easier..and it really helps. without the AC its an absolute blast to drive ( i plaster her late in the nights), sounds really good as well .
the car is really comfortable, has a lot of space inside and feels solid on the highway. ive maxed out at 140kph (ran out of road) might do a max of 150 kph not more.
cant really compare the 1.6 palio to the vtecs. the palio is a more upright car so at high speeds you are a bit too high for comfort unlike the lowslung vtec. but the palio is a lot more solid and heavyer. ive driven both my brother in law has a black vtec.
by the way they have stopped making the GTX s. so the cars you buy now will either be late 2002 or 2003 models.
you can get engines tuned here in bangalore at 2 places one belongs to sudershan in kumarapark, his place is called quartermile. and the other is raj hingorani's place on nandidurg road.
raj does quite a few vtec and zen mods..you'll see 3 of his cars in the speedrun in bombay 2 nos powered zens, not sure which the 3rd car is.
sorry for this long ramble
anoop sathyanand
Old 22nd March 2004, 13:58   #24
RJK
Senior - BHPian

gto is correct...i totally forgot about M&M....my mistake

M3
Old 22nd March 2004, 14:12   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The unit in Kandivili, is it a manufacturing unit? or a product development center?
If its a manufacturing unit, it must be one for farm equipments, i guess. The vehicle manufacturing unit is in Nashik.
Old 22nd March 2004, 15:15   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kandivali does manufacture Jeeps as yet, the CL series if I am not mistaken

GTO
Old 22nd March 2004, 16:29   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Anoops, I wasnt aware that the production of the 1.6 GTX has been stalled. This piece of information will surely help potential buyers from team-bhp.

Whew, those are some mods you have on the 1.2, and the way you are going..I am certain there are loads more to come. You have upgraded your engine oil to what, the mighty Mobil 1? I ONLY use mobil 1 in all my cars and it actually works out much cheaper over the longer run.

What exhaust mods have you carried out? Headers? Mufflers? Stainless steel pipes? Did you also increase the width of the pipes? If you havent done so already, I strongly recommend a K&N cold air intake for your palio. I have used it myself on my Accord, and this was seriously a marvellous product. Unlike other accessory manufacturers with no back-up, K&N is a full fledged car upgrade company which also has its very own R&D center. They charge a premium for their products, but then they are also worth it.

I have 185/60/13 Michelins' MXF Sport in my Esteem, and the grip levels are outstanding. The only dislike I have against them is that they are very unpredictable in their behavior. For e.g. in my other car equipped with Goodyear eagle F1's you can always tell when the limit is nearing, in the Michelins its a violent "Snap"

If its not too much to ask for, how about starting a new topic on the Palio board informing the users there about team-bhp? We also hope to have you as a regular with us.

GTO
Old 22nd March 2004, 16:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anoops i've seen the 1/4 Mile garage in Kumara park. I study in CKP which is just 100 mtrs from there and see these 2 modified Zens blast past our college gate towards Windsor Manor.

I wasn't aware that they had NOS!!!

BTW, where did you manage to hit 140kmph in Blore? Was it on the ring road?

Which Palio do you have, is it the 1.2? As you've mentioned you r car has 13" wheels.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 22nd March 2004, 18:10   #29
BHPian

hey shan2nu,
guess what i studied in CKP as well...passed out in '92. did commercial art wonder if any of the old lecturers are there...hehe had a 5 year blast there...then got recruited from campus to Ogilvy and Mather....what a coincidence.
not sure if sudershan (quarter mile) has NOS..but raj sure does!!
i did 140 on my way to goa on the sira bypass...its a 4 lane dream...its the sample road they made...in another 2 years the road all the way to goa is gonna be like that!
i drive to goa every year for a week in dec been doing it for the past 9 years...hey by the way my wife is from CKP as well..we met in collage ...will give the low down on my car tom...gotta go now..
anoop
Old 22nd March 2004, 19:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow that is awesome man. Though i'm in Fine arts and not Com arts. I'm more inclined towards Com arts. Getting Com arts in CKP is become a head ache these days, there are so many students and very few seats.

Hey what route do you use to go to Goa. Do you go to Mlore and then use the NH 17 or take the Blore-Hubli "NH4" and then take the Karwar road to Ankola and then Goa?

My cousin used to work for O and M some years ago, his name is Ashwin Haldipur.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks