Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 15:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport 1.0L EcoBoost turbo-petrol engine discontinued

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

According to a leaked document, Ford has discontinued the 1.0-litre EcoBoost turbo-petrol engine from the EcoSport line-up. The SUV will only be offered with 1.5-litre petrol and and diesel engines.

Ford EcoSport 1.0L EcoBoost turbo-petrol engine discontinued-image0.jpeg

Earlier reports had indicated that Ford was unlikely to upgrade the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine to comply with the BS6 emission regulations. Details of the BS6 compliant 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engines are not known.

The BS4 version of the 1.5-litre, 3-cylinder, naturally-aspirated petrol engine produced 121 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 150 Nm of torque @ 4,500 rpm. The 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine made 99 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 205 Nm of torque @ 1,750-3,250 rpm.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 16:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.0L EcoBoost turbo-petrol engine discontinued

It was expected that Ford India will slowly curtail costs in new launches and validation since the announcement of operations to be managed by Mahindra.

Especially on the 1.0L EcoBoost Turbo-petrol, there's not much an OEM need to be for upgrading to BS VI. It's host of tests and performance measurements. Diesels are lot tougher for upgrade but petrols on the other hand only lubricity is the main issue. But that can be resolved with additive and many formulations. Lube oil cos are already having a solution.

IMHO, it's more of cost avoidance since Ford is not intending to stay in India through their own (unlike GM who wound up and gone!) but they just wanted to stay through Mahindra.
Old 13th January 2020, 16:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Also, the petrol automatic variant is discontinued from Figo, Aspire and Freestyle.

Ecosport becomes the cheapest automatic in the Ford range then.
Old 13th January 2020, 16:53   #4
BHPian

what caught my eye is the colour of my Endeavour has been discontinued. With the rumors of BS6 Endeavour getting a different Engine & Transmission, now discontinuing the colour alongwith the 3.2L 6AT drivetrain would make it a true vintage
A.G. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 18:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Also, the petrol automatic variant is discontinued from Figo, Aspire and Freestyle.

Ecosport becomes the cheapest automatic in the Ford range then.
Did Freestyle come with an AT variant, don't think so. It would have made the desirable quotient much higher.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 07:26   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good riddance, frankly. The triple-cylinder 1.5L Dragon is better than the EcoBoost in almost every way, and cheaper too. The EcoBoost has lag, mediocre fuel efficiency and is an extremely complex motor. No wonder that its sales dropped after the 1.5L Dragon was introduced.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 10:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It is sad to see Ford, which was an innovator and early mover in this area regress by withdrawing the small turbo-petrol engine. It was revolutionary when introduced in 2013, making 125 HP from a 999 cc motor. I was about to take delivery of the Ecosport Ecoboost at launch and switched to TDCi after a back-to-back test drive, only due to the huge lag in city driving. This problem could have been easily fixed with transmission tuning (and it was to some extent, during the Facelift Launch in 2016). Alternatively this could have been fixed by getting in an appropriate automatic transmission such as the six-speed twin-clutch Powershift automatic offered overseas.

Ford is doing this, just as slower competitors are introducing small turbo-petrols in place of larger NA engines - such as Hyundai with the Venue, TATA with the Nexon and so on. Not done, Ford!
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 14:32   #8
BHPian

Why is the AT sacrifised during this BS6 transition? Mahindra removed the AT variants completely from XUV500 lineup and now Figo/Aspire are the scapegoats. Or is this a mutual decision made by Ford-Mahindra which may see future discontinuations?

Sad that 1.5L AT has been officially axed from Figo and Aspire. Its no secret that dealers weren't accepting bookings of Figo AT. At least folks had the Aspire alternative then, which was also a brilliant offering. EcoSport AT variant isn't cheap; approx. 14L in South India. If this means post-BS6 upgrade won't feature AT variants, then its a sorry prospect.
Old 14th January 2020, 14:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

It was a revolutionary engine and cutting edge 7 years back but it won't be missed. It just wasn't meant for Indian driving cycle and suffered from lag and low FE. The S model fixed it a lot by getting the new 6 speed box but the 1.5L Dragon was a better option in terms of driveability and simplicity.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:44   #10
BHPian

I was regretting my decision after I sold my Ecoboost last month. But sigh of relieve as Indian car market would now buy these cars in used car market at the cost of peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good riddance, frankly. The triple-cylinder 1.5L Dragon is better than the EcoBoost in almost every way, and cheaper too. The EcoBoost has lag, mediocre fuel efficiency and is an extremely complex motor. No wonder that its sales dropped after the 1.5L Dragon was introduced.
I second this, especially in back to back traffic the clutch gets harder than a diesel car. And worst is the MID showing 9 kmpl for a manual car

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th January 2020 at 16:28. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 14th January 2020, 17:54   #11
BHPian

I feel that the Ecoboost engine is not meant to run on 91 RON petrol. If you check out the manual, at least in the pre-facelift models, it says very clearly that it has been optimized to run on at least 95 RON petrol.

I was toying with the idea of using either Speed 97 or Power 99 when I stumbled upon this in the manual when checking out something else.

So I bit the bullet and am on my 2nd tank full of Speed 97 in my July 2017 Ecoboost and though there is a noticeable improvement in driveability, what is even more noticeable is that the city mileage has increased from 9 to 10.3 kmpl.

This engine is quite sensitive to driving style but is a gem of an engine.
Old 15th January 2020, 09:34   #12
BHPian

From an owner's perspective, I am feeling sad.
1.5 years into the ownership and had to hear this, and its breaking my heart. Even though I knew this was inevitable, never expected this so soon. I planned to keep her for at least 10 years. Hope she runs strong and age well and parts will be readily available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks