Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 19:40   #61
BHPian

Re: India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD

Well. A true Gem of an engine, had driven my BIL's swift (1st Gen) and boy-o-boy, the kick at 2000 rpm was truely out of this world.

Infact, this engine was the sole reason for me to buy the Brezza ZDi+, didnt wanted to lose a chance not to own this magical beauty. Definitely going to keep it till it dies.

BTW, its only Fiat who has stopped producing it, Maruti and Tatas are still in the foray, perhaps might remain until mid-March.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 27th January 2020 at 19:43. Reason: Added More Info
Old 27th January 2020, 20:47   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
BTW, its only Fiat who has stopped producing it, Maruti and Tatas are still in the foray, perhaps might remain until mid-March.
Tata and Fiat copies are made on same line. So it's over for them. Maruti i don't know. Also, its last engine made. There will be stock of already assembled engines in inventory with plan till March end. So cars will continue to get from that inventory.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 21:30   #63
BHPian

So now in Mainstream Diesel engines, we're left with Honda's 1.5 L, Hyundai/Kia BS-VI 1.5 L, Tata 1.5 L which does duty in Nexon, Ford's 1.5 L TDCI. I think Toyota will also pull out it's 1.4 L sluggish diesel from April.

Out of these, I'll buy Ford's TDCI if I have to currently.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 21:32   #64
BANNED

This is undoubtedly the stopping of production of the largest number vehicles ever that are running fine on our roads.

It is interesting to note that despite having over 9 lac units produced with most of them plying the roads they haven't entered the comfort zone of the roadside mechanics like some of the commercial vehicle engines do.
Old 27th January 2020, 21:42   #65
JLN
BHPian

Have booked a Brezza ZDI amt 2020 model with this engine. Guess among the last batch. Am looking forward to owning a masterpiece - a common man's masterpiece - makes it even more special.

Last edited by JLN : 27th January 2020 at 21:44.
JLN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 05:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
If you are talking about the Punto, I agree but not the Palio Stile. In fact the Stile is an all round Swift beater.
I have to derail a bit here.

Not sure about the car being a Swift beater. The Stile was not received with the same fan fare as the original Palio. In my view, it was a sub par product from FCA. They made it lighter and the materials were cheap. The 1.6l version of it was not a patch to the original GTX (Forget the S10).

They had the opportunity to set things right with the Punto but they choose not to and continued their half heart approach to selling cars. The 90Hp MJD was the engine that should have come out in the first place and like wise, the T Jet motor should have been offered as an option from the start, on the Linea and Punto. If they could sell their diesel engine to pretty much everyone, they should have borrowed a better gear box, as their own gearbox was not as good. They had a good product. FCA just could not be bothered to support it well and that seems to continue with a one model approach that makes up Jeep's innings in India.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 06:11   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
IFCA just could not be bothered to support it well and that seems to continue with a one model approach that makes up Jeep's innings in India.
And this innings is also going to be declared very soon. Now they do not even have the luxury to keep selling only engines as most brands have already developed their own.

MJD shall remain one of the legend especially on highways. The lower end torque is much better in the 1.5 TDCI making it good to drive in the city.

But with a wolf remap the MJD is an all-rounder. What capabilities that engine had and backed up with reliability. People regard Toyota engines as reliable but fail to realize that even after a lot of tinkering MJD keeps running for eternity.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:07   #68
BANNED

The very fact that it's called the national engine says it all! Like a fellow bhp-ian mentioned; it was the MJD that made a common car buyer even think of buying a diesel back in the days when it was launched. The apprehensions of diesels being problematic on the long run, need deeper pockets to maintain and also certain myths like they need to be started every now and then to avoid breakdowns were put to rest. In terms of reliability it was a huge leap from the likes of the infamous 3 pot CRDi by Hyundai on the Accent.

In my opinion, one of the reasons why this engine went on to be so famous is the fact that it was launched with the Swift. There were equally good engines around. For sedate drivers and those who drove mainly in the city, the Renault's K9K 1.5DCi and Ford's 1.4 TDCi were excellent choices (yes, the latter is noisy but served the purpose well). For those who drove aggressively and for the highway runs, Hyundai's 2nd gen 4 cylinder 1.4/1.5/1.6 CRDi were a class apart.

Coming back to MJD, a quick question for owners who have done >1L kms: Have you got the EGR and/or the intake manifolds inspected or cleaned? A certain amount of carbon build up is common for diesels but MJD tops the list in my opinion. It could be due to emission control or even the fuel quality, but nevertheless it's a mess.
Old 28th January 2020, 10:28   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Coming back to MJD, a quick question for owners who have done >1L kms: Have you got the EGR and/or the intake manifolds inspected or cleaned? A certain amount of carbon build up is common for diesels but MJD tops the list in my opinion. It could be due to emission control or even the fuel quality, but nevertheless it's a mess.
True.

I have done it at 60k km in my swift. I sold it at 90k and it was the only time EGR was cleaned.

In my current car, the ciaz, I have cleaned EGR at 30k km since the acceleration felt slower than usual. Post cleaning it was as good as new. Right now at 107k km, I now started feeling the same again. Will have the EGR cleaned at 110k km service.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 14:13   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have to derail a bit here.

Not sure about the car being a Swift beater. The Stile was not received with the same fan fare as the original Palio. In my view, it was a sub par product from FCA. They made it lighter and the materials were cheap. The 1.6l version of it was not a patch to the original GTX (Forget the S10).
Sorry, but I disagree with you. I own a Stile SDX and speak from personal experience. I have used cars ranging from Primier Safari/Padmini to MB W124. The Palio Stile was not received with enthusiasm because FIAT brand had taken a beating due to their partner's unsupportive attitude the Stile was being sold through the TaMo network and they deliberately gave it s bad treatment.. And there is nothing lighter or cheap about it. It is a well built car. You need to drive it. There are enthusiastic owner's threads here on TBHP from a few years ago. Anyway, I have said what I want to, and won't be participating further in this discussion.

Thank You,
Anwesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 14:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And there is nothing lighter or cheap about it. It is a well built car. You need to drive it.
A bit of off-topic, but I concur with this. This happened almost 10 years back. My Cousin had a Stile SDE and once we were traveling from Coimbatore to Bangalore in the car. En route, we were overtaking a parked Mahindra FJ 460 and suddenly a goat darted across the road - we were doing triple-digit speeds and there was no time to slow down. By the time my cousin applied the brakes, we hit the goat and it got flung over to the other side of the road. We feared the worst and stopped the car but to our utter surprise, the goat got up and ran away. On inspecting the car, the only damage it suffered was a broken front number plate. We thanked our stars and continued our journey, mighty impressed with the build quality of the Stile.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree with you. I own a Stile SDX and speak from personal experience. I have used cars ranging from Primier Safari/Padmini to MB W124. The Palio Stile was not received with enthusiasm because FIAT brand had taken a beating due to their partner's unsupportive attitude the Stile was being sold through the TaMo network and they deliberately gave it s bad treatment.. And there is nothing lighter or cheap about it. It is a well built car. You need to drive it. There are enthusiastic owner's threads here on TBHP from a few years ago. Anyway, I have said what I want to, and won't be participating further in this discussion.

Thank You,

True that... I own a 2008 Stile MJD done over 1.2L KMS and I can say with confidence that it is/was one of the most underrated cars with the MJD engine. In fact, among the Fiat line up, I always felt the Palio was a better than the Punto with this engine. The overall ownership has been fuss-free and not a single issue with the engine so far. Heck it has been cheaper to drive and maintain the Palio than my i10! Don't have the heart to sell as it is the only car that puts a smile on my face when I drive!

Proud to own this legendary engine and that too in a fairly exclusive car like the Palio!
madhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 02:50   #73
BHPian

It was THE Little Engine that could! 1.3MJD redefined the way Diesels were perceived and allowed small fun to drive cars accessible for masses. All the while remaining pocket friendly with bulletproof reliability.

My Sis-In-Law's Dzire has clocked 250K KM's and looks good for another 1 Lakh KM's. One incredible piece of Engineering. We'll miss you Little buddy, Good bye!
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:25   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
In my current car, the ciaz, I have cleaned EGR at 30k km since the acceleration felt slower than usual. Post cleaning it was as good as new. Right now at 107k km, I now started feeling the same again. Will have the EGR cleaned at 110k km service.
Did you get the EGR cleaned by removing it completely from the engine, or is it just the way they do it in the service centre by passing some cleansing agents through it pipes?
Well, I got the EGR cleaned twice in the service centre; but that hasn’t helped! My Swift still throws a thick black smoke & weird smell during the early morning start-ups. Any idea what could be the issue here?
Old 16th February 2020, 07:58   #75
BHPian

Recently, my Uber ride was a 1.3 DDiS beauty having covered 4.3L kms in the past 5 years as an Uber/Ola.

It still had punching power to overtake! IMO, this engine truly deserves to be called the national engine of India. Small, efficient, reliable and powerful!

India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD-img_20200209_161219.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks