Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 10:21   #196
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled

I have seen the car up close, in person and have spent about an hour with it. Wait till you see it in person before forming any judgements

As a XL6 owner, I was invited to a market research event early this year and there was feedback sought in comparison with other MPV's like Ertiga, XL6, Marazzo which were parked by its side (No Innova)

The interior looks at least (can't confirm quality) are far better than the other MPV's on sale today, although the feeling of space, which is a must in a good MPV was somehow missing

This will definitely appeal to the younger folks looking for their first MPV if priced right

If I was in the market today for a MPV it would have been tough picking between this and the XL6 if priced similarly, Although I might have still bought the XL6, unless KIA surprised us with a good safety rating

XL6 is just exceptional value for money and it needs to be seen if Carens will come even close

This is No Alcazar equivalent for sure and Kia won't make the mistake of pricing it there

Last edited by amit_2025 : 18th December 2021 at 10:50.
amit_2025 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 10:22   #197
BHPian

So this is the Kia version of the Hyundai Alcazar?

I bought the Mid model Diesel MT Alcazar in October and have already driven it nearly 2500 Km's of mostly highway use in the hills of HP with one plains highway trip to Jammu.

The Alcazar is pretty good, a spacious, frugal, comfortable Cruiser packed with a lot of tech. It's not very exciting to drive but I have my VWs for driving excitement and let the chauffeur drive the Alcazar. I don't need the third row, so the boot space is exceptional and of great use to me.

Pretty happy with the Alcazar, and I'm pretty sure it's twin the Kia Carens will do very well too.

Last edited by driven646 : 18th December 2021 at 10:24.
Old 18th December 2021, 10:31   #198
BHPian

Reading the comments, this car is definitely love it or hate it in the looks department. I think it will sell in decent numbers.
Old 18th December 2021, 10:38   #199
Senior - BHPian

Kia Carens to be exclusively manufactured in India at the carmaker’s facility in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh.

Quote:
20% of the production of Carens from the India plant will be exported. The model will be shipped to both right-hand drive and left-hand drive markets, like Indonesia and Latin America.
Name:  20211217084103_CARENS_ACI.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  81.7 KB

Quote:
With the launch of the Carens Kia to ramp up plant production with an additional third shift.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th December 2021 at 10:39.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:01   #200
Senior - BHPian

The front face keeps reminding me of the Toyota's version of the Wagon R - especially the DRL part. Somehow I don't find the Carens to be a very cohesive design. The wheels look small, which is ok for a comfortable ride, but then the small seats and the huge windows, then the small slim headlights. Somehow it fails to evoke the same wow feeling that the Seltos and Sonet do.

Name:  newtoyotawagonrelectricmarutihyryderevrendercolours4600x338.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  46.8 KB
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:04   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
This will definitely appeal to the younger folks looking for their first MPV if priced right. XL6 is just exceptional value for money and it needs to be seen if Carens will come even close

This is No Alcazar equivalent for sure and Kia won't make the mistake of pricing it there
To me the car looks very good. The Alcazar is expensive because the base model itself very well loaded. Since the Carens is based on the Seltos, the top end variants will intrude into Alcazar territory. But yes, it can start with lower priced variants (in the 11 lakh range) as compared to Alcazar. Typical of Kia, I would think the price range will be 11-18 lakhs, with over 15 variants (3 diesel manuals, 2 diesel automatics, 5 petrol manuals across 2 engines, 4 petrol automatics) on offer straddling that price bracket.

Do not think the XL6 audience is core target segment. I would believe the XL6 customers are largely middle aged family men,and Maruti brand loyalists. The Carens, as you rightly said, will go after the younger crowd willing to pay a bit extra for fresh, stand-out design, and of course, lot of features.

As for safety, i think the Indian car buyer is flexible. The craze for cars like Creta, Seltos, Sonet etc has shown that we like to talk about and consider safety only if other criteria are met (design, features and price).
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:27   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post

Yes, similarly, I would like Tata and Mahindra make an effort to make sure their cars have a decent reliability and mechanical quality. Compared to other brands they lack in this department.
And which Indian regulation or policy Tata and Mahindra are not following in terms of engine performance, reliability or quality? This is all very subjective. And even here there is no defined government policy.

So let’s agree to disagree. There are certain aspects on which all manufacturers have to improve, whether it’s safety or reliability, but as consumers we have to be aware and create awareness about glaring issues, irrespective of who the manufacturer is.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 12:53   #203
BHPian

Aagghhh... What a Frankenstein of a car. Reminds me of the hearse vans I used to see in the US. After the brilliant designs of the Seltos, Sonet and the Carnival this is just an eye sore. Can't see them selling this in any of the developed nations with the confused and disproportionate design.
Old 18th December 2021, 13:31   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Quite remarkable that within a span of just about 3 years or so, KIA will have 4 cars on sale in our market. Something to learn from, for the competition. Especially the global players with fat pockets.
I'll disagree on this, the spade work and market survey and headache was all done for them by their mother company Hyundai since nearly 2 decades.

Kia came in and licked all the malai.

All credit to Kia for bringing in this beauty, which will fly off the shelves.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 18th December 2021 at 13:33.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 13:38   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
To me the car looks very good. The Alcazar is expensive because the base model itself very well loaded. Since the Carens is based on the Seltos, the top end variants will intrude into Alcazar territory. But yes, it can start with lower priced variants (in the 11 lakh range) as compared to Alcazar. Typical of Kia, I would think the price range will be 11-18 lakhs, with over 15 variants (3 diesel manuals, 2 diesel automatics, 5 petrol manuals across 2 engines, 4 petrol automatics) on offer straddling that price bracket.
I don't think it will happen, even one of the review indicated Alcazar strategy here, lower variant will be fully loaded. I also believe they will never undercut Alcazar pricing, I expect it to start ex-showroom around 17L ( so ~20L on-road )

Last edited by mytbhp_turbo : 18th December 2021 at 13:39. Reason: format
Old 18th December 2021, 13:57   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Is it just me or do the seats look very small?
Either that or the window line is very high!

I didnt mean to nitpick but this was something that stood out when I saw the interior pics.

Here is the Carens 2nd row vs the XL6 2nd row. I know they have different types of headrests, but if you look how high the seatback is compared to the window-line, you might also see what I see...

Wouldn't the seats dig in to your back if you were to be slightly tall?
Not only the 2nd row, but even the front seats seem to be smaller than average?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
Yeah, that seems to be the case.
Comparing the seat size with the 2015 Lodgy - I find it adequate enough and it doesnt look like something new to me for the seats to be in this size. Of course , assuming the head rest is adjustable as we are able to in the Renault Lodgy ; And comparing the bench type to captain seats.

To summarize , I hope that the second and third row seat head rests are actually adjustable in the new KIA Carens and that they have only been put down in this exhibit vehicle to make the interiors / third row more visible.

Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-inkedimg20211218134310_li.jpg
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 14:07   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And which Indian regulation or policy Tata and Mahindra are not following in terms of engine performance, reliability or quality?
There's no such government regulations for engine refinement, quality or reliability. That's why these manufacturers hide their flaws with Global ncap ratings. They advertise as the 5 star rated car, people think the entire car has 5 star quality

That's why I said, I want to see an agency, which starts testing the quality of the engines and the reliability of the car and provide ratings. A car is associated with numerous factors, not only safety. So it's good to have those ratings as well. We can't decide whether a car is good or bad with just safety alone.

Last edited by Vignesh Vee : 18th December 2021 at 14:16.
Vignesh Vee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 15:48   #208
BHPian

No way in this a rival to Alcazar, it will definitely be priced lower than the Hyundai.
Manual handbrake, semi digital instruments (cheapened version of Alcazar one), smaller 16 inch wheels.
Old 18th December 2021, 17:01   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
No way in this a rival to Alcazar, it will definitely be priced lower than the Hyundai.
Manual handbrake, semi digital instruments (cheapened version of Alcazar one), smaller 16 inch wheels.
In a welcome move, it also has side torso and curtain-type head protection airbags as standard equipment over the Hyundai, so I'm not quite sure about pricing being lower.

It's also nice to see standard ESC again, like the Hyundai Alcazar.

I also hope they've fixed the Kia Seltos' pedal intrusion issues and the unstable airbag head contact observed in Global NCAP's frontal crash. I don't know what it is with Kia and footwell issues in RHD cars. They had similar problems with the previous Carnival in Australasia, but there they made improvements and sponsored a retest. I'm not very confident that they'll do something similar with the new Carens in India.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 21:03   #210
BHPian

Frankly for someone who hates the Creta design, this car feels designed well with no ugly overhangs except for the thick chrome strip at the rear bumper.

I don't understand why if you hate the design, you need to ridicule a company for having a tiger nose grill that is in no way remotely close to the famous kidney grills. Get a life already, this forum is to have a healthy discussion on car launches and provide feedback on whats good and what might need a fix like those slim and small 2nd row seats or the lack of request sensors on the passenger side or removal of backlit interior buttons.

Let's keep this forum a true enthusiastic feedback from car lovers, not a ridicule of it.
sandeepmukunda is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks