Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2020, 21:42   #16
BHPian

re: Going forward, all 4x4 cars from Tata Motors will be branded 'Safari Edition'

I believe this "Safari" thing has to do with being able to take it on one

BTW, is Tata planning a Harrier AT Safari anytime soon? What a package that will translate to!
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 22:08   #17
BHPian

re: Going forward, all 4x4 cars from Tata Motors will be branded 'Safari Edition'

Just have one request for Tata - if you can't bring a 'worthy' successor to the Safari, please by all means kill it, or let it gracefully die!!

But for gods sake - please don't ruin the legend by introducing these monickers; no offence meant to prospective owners (of Hexa Safari)!

You guys have yourselves admitted (in Pratap Bose's own words) the legend of these brands - Safari, Sumo, Sierra; why spoil them with these version monickers!?! Ok, kudos on the Sierra concept. But looking at the Hexa Safari, I shudder to think if there's a Harrier/Gravitas Sierra in the making - NO

Rant aside, the way I see it is this - no one knows this better than Tata the kind of brand value these names enjoy. But whichever way we look at it, these just don't make sense in today's cut throat SUV market. A layman, in the market, hardly gives two hoots as to whether his 'SUV' actually has 4X4, is built on a ladder-frame etc., as long as it looks and feels like an SUV! They just cant invest on developing a successor, and introduce that at a price range that would actually sell in India. But they aren't ready yet to give up these names either!
So, what's the next best thing - a Hexa Safari, or maybe a Harrier Sierra; seriously Tata!?

Last edited by avinash_m : 14th February 2020 at 22:11. Reason: punctuation
avinash_m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 22:32   #18
BHPian

Slapping safari monicker on all AWD or 4WD cars would be just diluting the brand. They could have used Safari instead of Gravitas, and given it a proper AWD/4WD from land rover but they didnt. So they should just shelf the brand name for future. Maybe some day, future Tata designers will draw inspiration from gen-1 safari and design a worthy successor. Pratap Bose is doing just that with Sierra, and he is able to because someone in past didnt see a point in diluting Sierra brand.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 22:49   #19
BHPian

Rather than discontinuing the ladder frame vehicles, they should productionize the new Sierra concept on a shortened Hexa chassis and go hammer & tongs after the Scorpio.
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 05:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering- Tata Motors has enormous experience designing 4wd vehicles. Why can't they look at a sub compact 4WD that's sub -1.2 ton weight and power it with the Nexon power plants? Surely that will be a great lifestyle vehicle and satisfy a potential market of about 15-20000 cars per year at least? It may not bring massive profits, but it will certainly enhance the intangible brand value of Safari ?
Old 15th February 2020, 12:50   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, added the "rumour" tag to the thread title. This particular website appears to be engaging in a lot of click-bait articles of late. Here is my post on the other thread which claimed Maruti won't send their cars to GNCAP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have two points to make:

1. The original source appears to be a 100% click-bait article. I read the statement thrice and nowhere do I see anyone indirectly saying "we won't send cars to the GNCAP". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Nobody can stop GNCAP from crash-testing cars, just like no one can stop Team-BHP from reviewing them. We can buy our own cars.

Therefore, I feel this discussion is rather pointless.
IMHO, Tata should save the "Safari" badge for their next 15-lakh rupee SUV. It has incredible weight & recognition. Am sure Tata knows this better than us.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 00:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
They could have used Safari instead of Gravitas, and given it a proper AWD/4WD from land rover but they didnt.
This is such a glaring omission. I am yet to see a serious 7 seater "SUV"(no the Innova is an MUV) without a 4WD/AWD. Given its looks and potential the Gravitas was perfectly placed to be a Safari - Gravitas in the pedigree of the Safari - TCIC/DICOR/Storme. Imagine the marketing possibilities, the brand recall. For some reason they seem to always concentrate on one car at a time rather than trying to build a good differentiated lineup. First they switched attention from the iconic Safari to the Aria so that by the time the Storme came the market had moved on. Then the switch to Hexa which too was too late to the party, switch again to a half baked Harrier and now while they got the Harrier ship shape they are going slow with the Gravitas finding very little of the Harrier improvements. I predict that they will wait for the Gravitas to bomb and then make an improved version too little too late and then neglect the Harrier.

My advice to Tata your icons are 4x4 practical, well priced SUVs. We need modern offerings without losing on the existing strengths.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 08:29   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Going forward, all 4x4 cars from Tata Motors will be branded 'Safari Edition'

Guys, it has been confirmed and the news is indeed true. Removing the "rumour" tag from the title.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 10:25   #24
BANNED

Re: Going forward, all 4x4 cars from Tata Motors will be branded 'Safari Edition'

I was hoping for this news to be fake. Such a sad day for Safari, how on earth could they do this sacrilege. Safari was always an icon, Tata you have just done such an injustice to the name plate. Tata guys just imagine, Maruti making Gypsy edition of Vitara Brezza. If you had courage to even imagine that, take a break and think what you are going to do,please!
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 11:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I was hoping for this news to be fake. Such a sad day for Safari, how on earth could they do this sacrilege. Safari was always an icon, Tata you have just done such an injustice to the name plate.
Shooting themselves in the foot, now becoming a routine job for Tata, isn't it?

Last year February they disappointed by botching up the Harrier.

Now just when their line up seems air tight, with the dashing Altroz, Nexon facelift along with a competitive EV, Tiago and Tigor scoring 4 stars, Harrier finally on course of being a well rounded product, and the star of the auto expo, the Sierra concept, they manage to put a sour grape on the cake, instead of a sweet sweet cherry.

After looking at the Sierra, I was convinced the Safari would return. Now they're doing what Maruti has done with the Ertiga-XL6, just watering down the Safari brand.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 17:14   #26
BHPian

Its very difficult to build a brand name, and more tough to be called as an icon. Some times we just forget the manufacturers name but will remember the icon. Going by the business logic Tata might be right, but to create another time tested icon is one hell of a job. Every major manufacturers have one or two iconic brands, with certain design language which is passed on to next generation. As the brand dies, the name will also fade away from memories even if you paste a sticker on every other car manufactured.
RK79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 21:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing in this that suggests Tata will never bring back Safari. It is just that they can not afford it at the moment. Creating a new vehicle that can wear that badge needs considerable time and resources. Tata Motors is not in a position to do it now. Till then they decided to respect the brand by adding it to the other 4x4 capable vehicles in their portfolio.

They have burnt a lot of cash in creating this new exciting portfolio. A true offroader is not a sure shot success at this point in time, but compact SUVs with aggressive looks are. So they chose that way when a make or break investment was required to revive their business. Once the cash starts coming in, I am sure the Safari brand will come back. Pausing it till then means a generation will never hear the name Safari. This is the next best option - Sort of a hibernation till the original Safari comes back.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th February 2020 at 21:05.
padmrajravi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 10:18   #28
BHPian

Yesterday morning around 10:30 AM I was was crossing the TATA Motors plant here in Pimpri and saw a TATA Safari Stormed with red number plates. There was also a badge on the right back which something like C350 or similar. I could not catch a good view of it though. On the left side, I could notice VX and 4X4 badge along with Safari.
The roof rails at the top back were also either broken or removed on purpose.
There was also a sticker on the rear glass which read EP followed by some more text and numbers in blue color.
The overall stance of the vehicle felt the same.

Sorry, could not take any pics though as I was driving.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 15:49   #29
BHPian

So Mr Bose, what's next in the line!!!

The XE or any base variant TATA vehicle will be a ‘Nano’ edition.
dicor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:52   #30
BHPian

Below was my comment in the TATA motors auto expo thread. Sadly it has come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
While bringing back the Sierra name plate is a good move. I think TATA should avoid using the Safari badge as an add on.
Kudos to the marketing honchos at TATA motors, pat yourselves on your back,
Multiple times,
Each time a notch harder,
If your tired ask your esteemed colleagues to help you out..

( I don't wish to attract an infraction, else I would have put my thoughts across differently. )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks