Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Marazzo 1.5L petrol coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
Morazzo is a brilliant product from Mahindra no doubt about it. But the sad thing is that both our home companies TATA and Mahindra lack brand image. People don't want to buy their product just because of the badge. They should heavily concentrate to build up a brand image. One of my friend was looking for a sub 20 lakh SUV and simply avoided the Harrier for the badge. Same case with the Morazzo also. People have not yet understood their valuable products.
Honestly, in Mahindra's case, I'm not 100% sure that this applies. See, they sell the XUV500 at some 20 lakh price range for so many years and no one really minds. People are happy to buy it. The XUV300 is more expensive than most of its competitors barring the Venue and even then, it pulls reasonably good volumes (Haven't checked though!). So why wouldn't the Marazzo succeed here? I highly doubt it's the brand image.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Marazzo sales are currently "mediocre" at best. About 1000 - 1200 copies / month. IMHO, that is poor, considering the product's strengths, numbers its competitors are doing & the price-band its in.
Agreed Marrazo is under-performing sales wise. What i meant was that the sales are steady at a low value and not reducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Very much sounds like DoA. Not sure, why Mahindra is even thinking of installing a Petrol engine in a overpriced UV that is 360 degree beaten by Ertiga in most aspects.
I don't think Marrazo is "360 degree" beaten by Ertiga. It is more the other way around. Marrazo is engineered to a higher standard and is one size bigger. You can make it out immediately once you drive both cars back to back. There is no match. Ertiga feels flimsy with paper thin outer skin. Ertiga had such poor sound insulation. There is prominent road noise once you cross 40 kmph in Ertiga. Marrazo is terrific silent cruiser. Marrazo has better safety scores as well. I think Marrazo relates to Ertiga as Ertiga relates to Tribber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I doubt they will put an AMT on this car. AMTs make sense in small capacity, low cost applications where cost is paramount.
TC auto with a high power petrol on a car with 2.2 Ton GVW and you are looking at single digit mileage figures in the city. But i guess it may be ok for low mileage private users. The Diesel BTW is very fuel efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Honestly, in Mahindra's case, I'm not 100% sure that this applies. See, they sell the XUV500 at some 20 lakh price range for so many years and no one really minds. People are happy to buy it. The XUV300 is more expensive than most of its competitors barring the Venue and even then, it pulls reasonably good volumes (Haven't checked though!). So why wouldn't the Marazzo succeed here? I highly doubt it's the brand image.
Indian public's fascination with SUVs is such that they will even ignore the manufacturer brand. XUV and Scorpio are sub brands themselves. Marrazo being MPV lacks that sex appeal. Also its widespread adoption by the taxi operators is giving it a "cab" image. Lame marketing campaigns by Mahindra do not help either. Also Marrazo is priced at a level that you can get lower versions of XUV or a MG hector. That is a hard sell, especially to non enthusiast car buying public who don't appreciate finer aspects of automotive engineering.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 14:03   #18
BHPian

One big chink in Marrazo's armour is its price. Mahindra is not replicating XUV500 recipe as may be seen from its launches in the last two years. IMHO, that is the primary reason for mediocre sales of Marrazo. Niggles and ASS reach possibly are the other inhibiting factors.
It is a competent product and with the induction of this new turbo petrol engine, enthusiasts may have a reason to smile. If the weight is reduced even by 60 kilos, considering the petrol engine, we see a p/w ratio of 105. That's some good news for people who have to choose a MPV without sacrificing the fun factor.
Regards
Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 20:45   #19
BHPian

Mahindra's habit of looking to name it's vehicles with O as the last letter seems to have done more harm than good in case of the Marrazo. Mara means dead in most places and it sure is a strange name for a car. Definitely not something as easy on the ears as Bolero or Scorpio.

Coming to the 1.5L Turbo Petrol, looks like a fun to drive motor on paper atleast. Hope it lives up to the expectations!
Old 15th March 2020, 21:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
Mahindra's habit of looking to name it's vehicles with O as the last letter seems to have done more harm than good in case of the Marrazo. Mara means dead in most places and it sure is a strange name for a car.
I disagree. When Indians have had no problem with the God of Death ("Yama"ha), why would a singular "mara" matter? If you ask me, the Crysta on one end and the facelifted Ertiga on the other end have eaten into the Marazzo's pie. As it is, the Toyota and the Maruti badges are mighty enough by themselves...
Old 15th March 2020, 21:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I disagree. When Indians have had no problem with the God of Death ("Yama"ha), why would a singular "mara" matter?
Perhaps we are more accommodating to foreign brands, even the Creta sells like hot cakes here
Old 15th March 2020, 21:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps we are more accommodating to foreign brands, even the Creta sells like hot cakes here
Tell me about it! There is indeed some snobbery involved with admiring phoren brands where many Indians are concerned...
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

The problem with Marazzo is that it ended up being an in-between product with in-between pricing.

Its expected to offer more than Ertiga in terms what is perceptible immediately (features, drive etc) but to me atleast, it does not. I took test drives of the Ertiga and Marazzo multiple times before i made up my mind that Marazzo indeed is superior. The first impressions in test drives for Marazzo possibly from many people are that I can live with the Ertiga ZDi and pay 5lacs less over M8. And the Ertiga sells by 1000s so you feel more convinced about it being the right choice.

At the other end, Marazzo is expected to offer everything that Innova does and beat it on price. It is not it is not very far off except when it comes to outright engine performance. But it simply needs some time to prove itself as a bullet proof product like the Innova is. I do not see people willing to purchase an Innova necessarily stepping down to Marazzo. Why will they if they can afford the Innova and again, you see 1000s around you?

Mahindra should have gone all out with features (they missed basic expectations) like the Koreans/Chinese, priced the M8 at 20lacs OTR and am sure more people would have brought it. I live with one these days and it gets more acceptable as you spend time with it. I can already see many running around as taxi's on road. Hopefully thats a good sign for the future!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 16th March 2020 at 18:05.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra's habit of looking to name it's vehicles with O as the last letter seems to have done more harm than good in case of the Marrazo. Mara means dead in most places and it sure is a strange name for a car. Definitely not something as easy on the ears as Bolero or Scorpio.

Coming to the 1.5L Turbo Petrol, looks like a fun to drive motor on paper atleast. Hope it lives up to the expectations!
I am also of the opinion that Marazzo's name has a role in its lower sales. Not because of its connection with the word dead, but Marazzo really is an absurd name. There really is no aspirational quotient with that name. Scorpio has it. Bolero has it. Marazzo simply does not invoke an aspirational emotion. I have seen many people praising its design, but even that looks bad to me. The rear is especially quirky.

I don't think the petrol model will help it either. Unless it comes with a substantial price cut to match Ertiga.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th March 2020 at 21:19.
Old 16th March 2020, 21:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Unless it comes with a substantial price cut to match Ertiga.
I don't think that will happen. A huge ladder frame vehicle with a 1.5 TGDI engine selling at a price near that of a monocoque car with simple I4 NA engine. Bean counters will shoot any engineer that would propose this.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 00:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

Mahindra should have gone all out with features (they missed basic expectations) like the Koreans/Chinese, priced the M8 at 20lacs OTR and am sure more people would have brought it. I live with one these days and it gets more acceptable as you spend time with it.
That probably would have skewed up Mahindra's portfolio. That would have meant two products, albeit different, almost at same price with a void at the lower level.
An easier approach could have been rejigging the variants starting with M2. For 90 % private buyers the base variant of Marazzo is M4. No audio system even in a car costing over 11 lakhs OTR??

Last edited by Kuldeep31 : 17th March 2020 at 00:37.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:48   #27
BHPian

Any news on when updated Marazzo might hit the showrooms? Given that Mahindra has already announced pricing for their important products, I feel it's about time they divulge details about this car as well.

I find Marazzo as a package much better put together as compared to, say the, Ertiga. The space on offer, captain seats, third row seating and that sweet 1.5 L oil burner make it a compelling package.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks