Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2020, 16:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra-Ford working on a midsize crossover to take on the Creta/Seltos

Just had a quick question, of all the cars Mahindra and Mahindra have been selling here in India for so many years, which have been designed by Pininfarina?
Old 22nd November 2020, 16:41   #17
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Ford is planning to introduce Kuga to market. They could announce as Creta competition by end of 1st quarter of 2021.

As per my source, it's been long since Ford announced any car, & they believe this is a good segment to launch a product in.

The engines expected are:
- 1.5 Liter 120 bhp diesel
- 1.2 & 1.5 liter turbo petrols

I'm not sure if these are true statements or speculations in closed (company) circles as there's hardly any test mule seen in India.
I for one feel that this is more of a speculation as the Kuga actually competes with the likes of the Sportage, Tucson etc. which are a segment above the Creta/Seltos. It is to the Focus sedan what the Ecosport is to the Fiesta sedan. Also, internationally, it is available with 2L engine options.

Now they can downgrade the engine to reduce the cost but with a car which is a Focus underneath( a D1 segment sedan), there's only so much they can do.

With that being said, I hope they do bring in the Kuga to India and perhaps price it somewhere between the Tucson and the Creta(along with the Harrier and the Hector).
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 17:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Just had a quick question, of all the cars Mahindra and Mahindra have been selling here in India for so many years, which have been designed by Pininfarina?
KUV 1OO
This was the first and only one, I suppose.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
KUV 1OO
This was the first and only one, I suppose.
I read somewhere that even the Marazzo is Pininfarina designed. Both never appealed to me.

It’s weird how an Italian design company who worked with Ferrari gave us such ugly cars!
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
I read somewhere that even the Marazzo is Pininfarina designed. Both never appealed to me.

It’s weird how an Italian design company who worked with Ferrari gave us such ugly cars!
Really? Have you seen how the battery is placed in the engine bay of Marrazzo, to check the water level you have to dismantle quite a bit to reach it.

Nano's battery under the driver seat is easier to check
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:25   #21
BHPian

i think, in my view generally Indians don't appreciate easily our own design. We are ready to lap-up foreign brands, because in history we did not encounter industrial revolution like western nations, thereby limiting our quality and production costs. This history of sub-par product quality is there in our mindsets from ages and it wont go away easily.
Now, i beg to differ in terms of quality from Mahindra is no different from other brands, but brand perception is not easy to change and also customer orientation needs to be tweaked so has to understand customer pain points because common answer anywhere is "Sir, this is indian brand, quality is not like foreign brand". This mindset and biasing has to go.
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Ford is planning to introduce Kuga to market. They could announce as Creta competition by end of 1st quarter of 2021.

The engines expected are:
- 1.5 Liter 120 bhp diesel
- 1.2 & 1.5 liter turbo petrols
Plausible, but still a case of Yes and No.

Yes, would be a pretty good Creta rival.
Could use Ford's existing 1.5l diesel with the Euro tune of power, and use Mahindra's 1.2l /1.5l petrols.

No, this is more of a Tucson rival than a Creta rival.
The Puma would be the Creta rival, but then with that body shape, how it would be received...no one can say.

Still a muddle regarding Ford's Creta rival. Whether it will be the next gen Ecosport or some other model, but one thing is sure, it would be on a Ford platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I hope they do bring in the Kuga to India and perhaps price it somewhere between the Tucson and the Creta(along with the Harrier and the Hector).
Unlikely.
With the XUV500 based Ford being planned in the 15+ lakhs segment, guess the Kuga makes less of a compelling case.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:34   #23
BHPian

Mahindra-Ford working on a midsize crossover to take on the Creta/Seltos

Ford - which produces the best dynamic cars are hesitant to launch their products for more than a decade. It's good that they have a collaboration now and bringing in a new C-SUV.

I personally looking for the Mondeo to be launched which will certainly create vibrations to both csuv and sedan segment in its price segment.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
i think, in my view generally Indians don't appreciate easily our own design.
I agree with you on the quality part, but Mahindra has to improve a lot on the looks and I believe that they are slowly reaching there. Vehicles like Qunato, NuvoSPort, KUV300, XYLO etc are really eyesores to me and I don't want to be seen driving any of these vehicles.

I don't say XUV500 is a looker, but its decent compared to other Mahindra cars, same with Marazzo. XUV300 & Alturas are SSangYoung Designs and Thar is Wrangler, so Mahindra cannot claim credit for these designs.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:09   #25
BHPian

Ford hiked Figo/Freestyle/Aspire prices while cutting down features to begin with. Now looks like they even removed trend variants. For all the good service story Ford gained now, hope they cater to mass market as well. Today its tough to choose Ford in the hatchback segment as its pricy but does not offer value to an average Joe. Wish to see safe and fun alternatives in entry level as well and wish Ford regains its footing.
Quinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

@AYP & @DicKy

I agree & have already mentioned that Kuga talk could be a speculation, but what caught my attention was the fact that the source was clear about it being Kuga. It being (Creta competition/ segment) was something he added upon my prodding. Also the timeline he mentioned was March-April next year.

If his information is true we can have new product unveil/ launch sometime in this timescale.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford bringing the Kuga dates way long back.

Here are the relevant posts in the below thread(link) to that:

Link (Ford India imports Kuga SUV)
Old 19th July 2023, 07:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

2024 Mahindra XUV500 SUV Coupe spied for the first time – Creta Rival

Mahindra-Ford working on a midsize crossover to take on the Creta/Seltos-2024mahindraxuv500suvcoupespecsprice3747x420.jpg

Quote:
it turns out, the ‘XUV500’ name would be carried on by a whole new SUV. Internally codenamed ‘S301’ this 5-seater mid-size compact SUV will be positioned between the XUV300 and XUV700 and will rival the likes of Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos. This new Mahindra SUV is expected to be launched in 2024. Ahead of that, first spy shots have now arrived. Testing of the new Mahindra XUV500 coupe SUV has started. It was seen on test in Chennai recently, along with the XUV700.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th July 2023 at 07:39.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2024 Mahindra XUV500 SUV Coupe spied for the first time – Creta Rival
That is pretty much a twist in the story. We were expecting a coupe SUv sitting above the XUV700, and here we have something to go bang against the Tata Curvv.

But one thing I have noticed is the uncanny resemblance of this one to the Citroen C3X crossover spy pics. So did Rushlane misreported the Citroen C3X as the new XUV500? Or did Motorbeam misreport the XUV500 as the new Citroen?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5587904 (Rumour: Citroën to launch SUV and Sedan by 2024)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...xprototype.jpg

Mahindra-Ford working on a midsize crossover to take on the Creta/Seltos-citroenc3xprototype.jpg

Last edited by DicKy : 19th July 2023 at 10:25.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
So did Rushlane misreported the Citroen C3X as the new XUV500? Or did Motorbeam misreport the XUV500 as the new Citroen?
Yeah it is hard to tell which one is correct but looking at the flap style door handles, it looks like it could be a upcoming Citroen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks