Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 07:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Tata Motors (passenger cars) to get a new partner, probably Chinese

Couldn't they have opted for the middle path- ie, keep the body design and manufacturing, and partner with others for engine development ? In fact, to think of it, they could have approached the likes of a Mazda or Mitsubishi or even a Peugeot/Citroen to get good quality, high performance sub 2 litre petrol engines to power the Tiago/Tigor/Nexon series.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 08:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rumor: Tata PVBU to get a new partner, probably Chinese this time

You cannot fault Tata for moving in this direction! In spite of launching very competent cars in the last 2 years, Tata still remains a distant 4th in the Indian car market. With Kia and MG also gaining share with just one car each, the fear is that Tata would lose out to such new players more than the others.

Purely from a business viability point of view, Tata needs capital infusion and also newer products at a much higher pace to keep up with competition. Just look at the whole Harrier scenario, the engine is from Fiat, and they had to wait for an year to get hold of the auto box from Hyundai. And also their product development cycles are far longer than the Koreans. Take the Tiago for example, it was launched in 2015, irrespective of how well its doing, 2020 is the ideal timeline for the next Gen Tiago. And I believe there is no such plan this year or the next.

Hence Tata needs to do something different, even if it means getting a Chinese partner. MG got away with it thru a fantastic PR and brand imaging exercise, so Tata can do the same. Its not impossible. And Chinese auto companies are the ones with the money these days, European car manufacturers are all struggling and now trying to merge with each other like the FCA PSA deal, so where is the money and technology going to come from? If Tata has to leverage Chery to get some capital and some technology, then so be it. Im sure there is a JLR angle to this as well, Chery being its partner in China.
motorworks is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 21:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sentimentally, this will not work as expected and it would back-fire. Tata rollback when you’ve all the time to do & invest elsewhere. Don’t do this! Invest in your own resources and exploit the talents by hiring our own guys here who could do wonders like in the recent past.

Your main draw back is your inconsistency in quality and plague-hit after sales service. Bringing in Chinese won’t do any good with works firing upon Chinese for the virus they transported will fully!

Good luck with your endeavour if you wish to proceed further.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 23:14   #19
BHPian

I don't mind this partnership. The PV wing is cash strapped and and a strict part Chinese management could help straighten the Govt of India mindset of Tata's executives and staff.

Tata seems to have not so efficient regional managers. These guys won't last a day in Maruti. Every work is carried out at a snail's pace. My interactions with 2 GMs of service at TASS from MH and KA have shown me their hands are tied. These guys are helpless when any warranty claim kicks in. Also the back end seems lost. No follow up calls from the company wrt complaints or reviews.

As long as Tata manages to keep the Chery logo out of the picture, it shouldn't be an issue. The cash infusion to speed up product development and especially some aggressive Chinese executives looking over the lazy Indian staff is probably what TaMo needs right now.

And Chinese coronavirus? We're Indians. Throw in a sunroof and big touchscreen in a VFM car and all will be forgotten. Our nationalism is more in talk and less in action.

Last edited by TROOPER : 11th April 2020 at 23:19.
TROOPER is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 09:53   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors (passenger cars) to get a new partner, probably Chinese

Surprised at the backlash. I have absolutely nothing against the good Chinese firms. Would much prefer that Tata partners with a healthy + ethical Chinese company over something like a weak, troubled + complicated Fiat Chrysler (just as an example). Partnerships should be built on what both are capable of bringing to the table, and not nationality. Am sure many Britishers didn't take Jaguar-Land Rover going to an "Indian co" too well, but well, didn't that work out in the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Even beyond the fanboys- it is hard to imagine TATA Motors (or even Mahindra for that matter!) as a Chinese partner company. Both these companies have become synonymous with the pride of Indian ownership.
Let's say hypothetically, if a Chinese firm buys 20%. Is that a bad thing? Tata Motors will never give away a majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
It's an E.T. article, so authenticity is always questionable.
Not really. They clearly have someone inside Tata. ET was the first to break that Mayank Pareek is going to leave the company.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 10:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dont think this deal is happening. This IS A Rumour.

With their PV - CV split on the cards and confirmed. This will too much change for an organization like Tata in a short span of time. They will settle the PV-CV split first and then see what happens.
Old 13th April 2020, 10:20   #22
BHPian

Ignore the rants in this forum. The people voting with their wallets don't care if MG is Chinese. Likewise they wouldn't care if the new Tata car is a Chinese JV as long as they get their bling at a reasonable price.
And for all the "patriots" talking about Indian versus Chinese why do your wallets choose Chinese come buying time? Kudos to Tata, atleast someone is thinking right in terms of increasing sales.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 12:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just a query. Would this mean the Chinese partner will have access to JLR too ? The tech know how's and other sneak peeks.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th April 2020 at 12:19.
Old 13th April 2020, 13:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Just a query. Would this mean the Chinese partner will have access to JLR too ? The tech know how's and other sneak peeks.
The Chinese already have access to JLR tech. JLR in China operates as a 50:50 JV between Chinese state-owned automaker Chery and UK-headquartered Jaguar Land Rover. The combined entity is called Chery Jaguar Land Rover Automotive Company Ltd.

You can read more about it here.
TejasKinger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 13:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
The Chinese already have access to JLR tech. JLR in China operates as a 50:50 JV between Chinese state-owned automaker Chery and UK-headquartered Jaguar Land Rover.
Thank you for this info which I wasn't aware of. By the way, I was querying if the rumored Chinese partner of Tata (when it indeed fructify) will have JLR access too.
Old 13th April 2020, 14:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thank you for this info which I wasn't aware of. By the way, I was querying if the rumored Chinese partner of Tata (when it indeed fructify) will have JLR access too.
To answer your question directly, any company that partners with the newly formed subsidiary will not have access to JLR.

It is interesting to see the number of subsidiary companies Tata Motors has : https://www.tatamotors.com/about-us/subsidiaries/

All of these subsidiary companies probably have their own boards of directors, management teams, employees and report their financial results separately : https://www.tatamotors.com/investors...nnual-reports/ ... and probably work independent of each other.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 14:15   #27
BHPian

We should understand that Tata needs money and access to technology to remain afloat. For those suggesting that Tata should work with Japanese or European OEMs, they have their own bigger issues to deal with. Not sure how many of us know that Nissan is again staring at bankruptcy (just an anecdote). My point is, Tata's need someone with bigger pockets and ready technology to cover all those lost years.

Not to target anyone here but people saying that a Tata-Chinese JV will be bad for their PR or the whole pride thing, how many of us have voted with our wallets? With a market share of less than 5%, the other 95% population is more than enough for them to take a plunge.
tarik.arora is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

I'm a little 50:50 on the chinese deal. One part of me thinks that this is a good move to get cash flow and backing from deep pockets like Cherry and Geely but other part of me thinks they should look at someone with more engineering depth.

Sadly FCA themselves are a sinking ship and so is the Nissan Renault alliance. So partnering with them is kinda pointless.

Ford already found Mahindra and Mahindra themselves are probably seeing how to offload Ssangyong.

Toyota is having an affair with Maruti and we already seeing illegitimate children like Glanza and Brezza next.

Hyundai / Kia are good enough on their own and they won't even look at Tata who is distant.

VW group have enough to worry about in sales and scandals.

Isuzu and Mitsubishi would have been good potential but both don't have any $ to backup Tata.

So basically even if you knock on as many doors, the only ones that are open and inviting are the Chinese.

The same happened with Volvo when it went from Sweden to China owned. It was blasphemous in the beginning but now the products speak for themselves.
Vid6639 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 19:47   #29
BHPian

I think too much is being incorrectly inferred from this news report. I think this deal is more a means to better sell JLR vehicles in China, which if I'm not mistaken was a large market for Jaguar cars and was raking in moolah earlier, but lately has been the cause for draining down Tata Motors global revenue.

Perhaps this is the case?
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 20:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think they are going to sell their passenger car division and separating them was the first step in that direction. Looks like they are going to focus more on commercial vehicles from now onwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks