Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 19:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai's Turbo GDI is first 1.0 turbo-petrol to succeed

If the success of the 1.0 turbo has anything to go by, Hyundai can definitely be more aggressive with cars like Nios/aura and Verna. Having the 1.0 in just top end variants of Nios/Aura is disappointing since the price invites cars (albeit lower variants) of higher segment at times. Say the 9.5 lakh rupees Aura turbo has got cars like entry level verna/city/EcoSport/nexon/breeza in close proximity (with acceptable hike in the emi plan).
Availability of the same engine in mid variants atleast will make it more accessible.

Similarly having 1.0 turbo petrol dct in only one variant is disappointing for Verna. Having 1.5 petrol /1.0 turbo side by side will give buyers more options to choose from. Fast and responsive turbo dct or smooth and efficient 1.5 ivt.

Last edited by Turbokick : 23rd May 2020 at 19:51.
Turbokick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

That's hardly an achievement. They fit 1.0 in top variants and DCT which pushes people away from their lacklustre 1.2 L. While Ford and Maruti just flirted briefly with turbo-petrol, Hyundai married it. Personally I am pretty wary of words like turbo, 3-cylinders and DCT/DSGs (especially dry clutch). I would rather buy Creta/Seltos CVT. No turbo, no DCT and proper 4-cylinder. Or, look at Kicks CVT, overlooking its turbo because it's proper 4-cylinder and comes with CVT. Coming to Venue's 1.0 DCT, someone reported heating of transmission in traffic in just 30 minutes. If true, it's really unpardonable. Launched last year post-summer, this car is yet to see Indian summers. This year, owing to lockdown, there aren't any jams to test this.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 00:46   #33
BANNED

It is more of a marketing, positioning, and timing success than the engine's success.

Until the turbo kicks in, the engine breathes like any other NA engine, so 1.2NA is any day better than a 1.0 turbo at lower RPMs. Otherwise, small capacity turbos have to sacrifice on fuel efficiency to deliver good torque at lower RPMs.

Small capacity turbo petrol engines can never be sporty throughout the rev-range unless fuel efficiency is the last thing the calibrator had in mind during the tuning process.

Any 1.0L turbo petrol engine cannot deliver that sporty character without being over-strained, this in turn reduces the engine's life compared to 1.2L turbo petrol, 1.2 NA, and 1.5NA etc.

These are good for up until hatchback segments, above that segment, I would any day prefer 1.2L turbo petrol over 1.0L turbo. These engines are yet to prove their mettle in our conditions. Also, DCTs are DCTs, they are never more reliable than CVTs and TCs in our conditions, '1.0L turbo petrol plus DCT' combination means higher chances of trouble and higher repair costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
Did Hyundai tune the engine/gearbox differently for India or is it a completely different engine than the global 1.0 Turbo GDI ? I had driven Kia Rio on Norwegian mountains with the 1.0 Turbo GDI (99bhp) and it felt quite good at the low end, much better than the 1.2 NA in my G i10. In fact, I remember the dashboard gear sign asking me to downshift to 3rd whenever I was driving below 60kmph where as my G i10 asks me to up shift to 4th at 40kmph !
If your car is asking you to downshift, it means that it needs more torque, which in turn indicates that the engine's low end is weak or is not sufficient enough for the given situation!
Old 24th May 2020, 06:32   #34
BHPian

When companies like Ford and even the mighty MSIL backed away from the 1.0 Turbo race, I'd call this a remarkable achievement indeed.

Sure, it's only a 3-cylinder, with poor low end torque. But it's more than adequate for hatchbacks and small crossovers like the Venue; MSIL could do with the normal 1.2 in Swift and Baleno owing to their light kerb weights. Not the case in any of their competitors. So I see it to be a great alternative.

Compared to EcoBoost, it's tested to be more economic as well. As the sales speak for themselves, it's not going anywhere.

The engine was found to be even better in the lighter Aura albeit in a lower state of tune. As long as people acknowledge it's shortcomings and not treat it like a big NA engine because of its power figures, they should be fine.

Hyundai's gonna put it in the upcoming i20, and do doubt that's gonna sell as well. Tata made a mistake not launching the Altroz with the rumoured turbo petrol they have in works. Even VW eschewed the 1.2 in favour of 1.0 3-cylinder engine.

With legislation on engine displacement in our country, bigger engines are simply not an option in our market anymore. We've gotta live with it, until the electric cars arrive with their instantaneous torque delivery.

Well done, Hyundai. Hope more hatchbacks follow suit.
GipsyDanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 18:01   #35
BHPian

The premise of small turbos is simple- offer more power and torque while maintaining the efficiency of a smaller engine. While turbo diesels have been a roaring success, so much so that it is hard to find a mainstream diesel without a turbo. Turbo-petrols however haven't really flourished. The power and torque is there, but haven't seen the efficiency benefits in any of them. Real world mileage figures of a 1.0 turbo are not any better than a 1.5 NA petrol engine. And therefore for petrols, there is still nothing like a well engineered NA engine (the Honda 1.5, Maruti K12).

Having said that, manufacturers don't really have a choice when it comes to compact SUVs. When the sub-4m legislations were drafted, none would have thought these innocuous laws would spawn off compact sedans and SUVs. Just look at the first generations of Dezire, Amaze, Brezza and compare them with proper sedans like Ciaz, City, Creta. You can feel something is amiss. Putting a big NA petrol in a sub4m vehicle kills the tax benefits and the whole idea of a sub4m vehicle. So manufacturers feel pushed to offer small turbos instead of bigger engines. While the jury is still not out on Hyundai 1.0, I do think Tata and Mahindra have good products on their hands and we can now say proven too since they have had a long enough run in the market.
Time_Machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 10:37   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just a clarification = The thread title has been decided by US (the core team). There is no such press release from Hyundai.

Back to the engine, it's easily one of my favourites (and of Mod Aditya) in the mass market. We found the driveability to be acceptable, the mid-range punchy, and enjoyed its rev-happy nature + top-end performance. It leaves most competitors for dead on the open road. There are some downsides = Am not sure how its fuel economy will be as the other high horsepower turbo petrols (e.g. Ford's EcoBoost) haven't done well. The 1.0 turbo-petrol is also more expensive than the regular n/a engine, adds more (long-term) maintenance and the refinement isn't as smooth as Hyundai's 1.2L (in the i20 1.2, you can't even tell if the damn engine is running or not).

Me & Aditya both had discussed this. End of the day, we'd pick the 1.0 Turbo over the 1.2 n/a any which day. Don't forget its horsepower & torque advantage over the competition. The latter especially!! In a sea of 110 - 115 Nm torque of its competitors, the Grand i10 / Aura offer 172 Nm
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 19:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There are some downsides = Am not sure how its fuel economy will be as the other high horsepower turbo petrols (e.g. Ford's EcoBoost) haven't done well.
The real world efficiency figures of the Hyundai Venue DCT is in the range of 12-14 KMPL. This includes a 60:40 Highway & City running respectively. I feel the Manual box figures will be slightly higher.
But whichever maybe the scenario, this engine is a hoot to drive. I have driven the Ecosport’s ecoboost; and I can confidently say that the 1.0 GDI is much superior. Kudos to Hyundai for developing this for the mass market cars.
I just hope that they plonk this engine in their upcoming i20 in the 118 bhp tune. That car will be a real beast then!
Old 25th May 2020, 21:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The real world efficiency figures of the Hyundai Venue DCT is in the range of 12-14 KMPL. This includes a 60:40 Highway & City running respectively.
The fuel efficiency drops drastically if the usage is confined to city limits. My colleague’s Venue DCT which has been driven only within Bangalore has never given more than 8 KMPL.
murthy_p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 23:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murthy_p View Post
The fuel efficiency drops drastically if the usage is confined to city limits. My colleague’s Venue DCT which has been driven only within Bangalore has never given more than 8 KMPL.
Ohh! Bangalore has got some crazy traffic, so guess that drop in efficiency is evident. However, my experience is also with a colleague’s Venue during the daily commute in Goa, with comparatively much lesser traffic. Hence, the reason of better figures.
But overall, I feel the mileage figures are pretty decent. However, I don’t have a fair amount of idea how it’ll perform on a proper highway run with higher speeds, say around 110-120 kmpish. Maybe, the long term users can shed some light.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 11:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Venue is one of the compact SUV offerings that provides one of the best built and fit/finish combinations. It also projects a preception of upmark feel and quality that I never experience in any of it's competitors. The engine is just an icing on the cake. Yes handling could be better but the body roll is not so much that it distracts from a quality driving experience like say the previous generation Verna and the i20. It's not a corner carver but can go around curves without fuss better than average I would say. It's a little down on rear seat space and boot space but has manage to find that sweet zone just below the Brezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This is good marketing that worked for Hyundai than a fantastic engine. Imagine you go to popular ice cream shop, options in menu are as below:
Single scoop vanilla-100RS
Double scoop choco almond- 140RS
Single scoop gourmet ice cream sundae- 130RS.

Most of the buyers will go for choco almond or Sundae.
Replace ice creams with 1.2NA, 1.5 diesel and 1.0TGDI in that order.
Interesting observation and may account for why the 1.4 GDI accounts for such a low percentage of sales in the New Creta. The 1.5 petrol there offers adequate performance for the average owner more focused on comfort and convenience.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 31st May 2020 at 11:57.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 14:08   #41
BHPian

How is the Hyundai's 1.0 in comparison to 1.2 TSI and 1.0 TSI?
Old 31st May 2020, 17:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

VW’s 1.0 TSI and the Hyundai 1.0TGDI offer similar specs on paper. The former makes 110ps and 175 NM in India (200 NM internationally). The latter makes 120 ps and 175 NM.

However, real world performance is a different story. Hyundai tends to overstate the power figures. For the VW Polo 1.0 TSI, Autocar has certified the 0-100 kph acceleration time at 9.95 seconds. On the other hand, the Venue 1.0 TGDI manual takes 11.85 seconds to accomplish this according to the below review:

https://www.carwale.com/news/hyundai...ures-revealed/

Granted, the Venue may be a little bit heavier than the Polo, but not by much. Hyundai never reveals the kerb weight of its cars in official specifications in India. Their cars tend to be lighter due to use of thinner body panels and since Indian consumers equate weight to safety, Hyundai avoids this metric.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 31st May 2020 at 17:32.
Old 31st May 2020, 19:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Problem with 1.0L Boosterjet was the K12 series engine which was damn good in Baleno. The performance improvement for the price was not significant and value quotient was missing. Had Hyundai launched NA larger petrol motor in Venue, story would been very different.
Yes, to put it in numbers, the problem with the boosterjet was that it produced only 100Hp.
That's hardly an increment of 15Hp over the 1.2.

In case of the venue, the 1.0 develops a whopping 120Hp, which is a massive 35hp increment over the 1.2.
Old 10th April 2023, 21:36   #44

Tokio is an aura 1.0, and I am in love with her. She is my first set of 4, though I did test drive venue 1.0, ecosport and swift before placing my palm on the aura's hood. To be frank, I wasn't much moved by the looks of the car but it was the only option that checked all my needs, viz big boot and isofix, and came with an engine that took care of my want. It's odo is close to clock 20k km and I changed it's shoes after 16k km to wider 195/55 conti UC6 which changed the mannerisms of Tokio quite a bit, particularly during above 80 highway runs and twisties of our ghats.

Coming to the heart of the matter, I still do not get floored by aura's looks, but the moment I take the wheel, it springs up joy within. Shift from 1st to 4th at 2500 rpm each and get pushed deeper behind the wheel. I wish to try the VW 1.0tsi too at some point but shying since I still find the German machines better looking than the Korean ones. If not for the 1.0gdi, I would have exchanged my Hyundai for a skoda or a vw by now. So want to enjoy the Korean stuff as long as it, the engine individually or as a whole machine, doesn't throw any challenges. I sparsely drive above 120 consistently, but keep the revs between 1800-2500. With 60-40 highway-city run, I manage to extract around 14-15kmpl on avg. Just highway runs alone mostly return 17-19 kmpl depending on the weight and terrain.

Most Viewed