Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's Turbo GDI is first 1.0 turbo-petrol to succeed

Hyundai Venue 1.0 turbo GDI proves most popular engine option and accounted for 40% of Hyundai Venue FY20 sales.

Of the 93,624 Venue customers in FY2020, 44,073 opted for the turbo-petrol powertrain. Demand for turbo-petrols outpaced diesel sales of Venue in FY20.

Tarun Garg, director, sales, marketing and service, Hyundai Motor India explained, As Hyundai, there is a responsibility to take the level up. It is all about empowering the customer. Somebody has to take the lead and let the customer make the choice. It is not always about volumes and market share, there is something called technology leadership.

Hyundai's Turbo GDI is first 1.0 turbo-petrol to succeed-smartselect_20200522072954_chrome.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-option-417275
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai's Turbo GDI is first 1.0 turbo-petrol to succeed

Hyundai's Turbo GDI is first 1.0 turbo-petrol to succeed - Post moved to a new thread.
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:38   #3
BHPian

I don't think it is the first one to succeed, Polo GT TSI has done fair volumes too, especially compared to total polo sales, the percentage would be similar.
Also, the same engine powers the Vento TSI too that has found reasonable success too.
dhruvritzed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
I don't think it is the first one to succeed, Polo GT TSI has done fair volumes too, especially compared to total polo sales, the percentage would be similar.
Also, the same engine powers the Vento TSI too that has found reasonable success too.
The header is clearly about 1.0L petrol while a majority of the TSIs currently on road are 1.2L engines. The only other 1L turbo-petrol engine I can recollect is the Ford Ecoboost which wasn't successful.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 22nd May 2020 at 15:47.
Added_flavor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Don't think they will be a patch on the numbers that Hyundai will bring.

Ofcourse, enthusiasts will root for the Polo GT TSIs performance, but the fact remains that most of the sales were from urban buyers who wanted the smallest German automatic car. Am sure, enthusiasts buyers aside, most of the Polo TSI buyers (except maybe their teenage/young children) won't be excited about GDI turbos or DCT.

Whereas Hyundai/Kia with their sheer numbers and model/transmission spread are sure on their way to democratise GDI turbos like how they did with CRDis a decade ago

Last edited by DicKy : 22nd May 2020 at 15:52.
DicKy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:55   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The only other 1L turbo-petrol engine I can recollect is the Ford Ecoboost which wasn't successful.
You forgot the 1.0L BoosterJet that was offered in the Baleno as RS variant which didn't succeed too.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

What a dumb claim by Hyundai! The other petrol engine on offer is a lame/namesake 1.2L Motor! I hardly have seen this model. Reminds me of MTR Gulab jamoon ad, I came 2nd, well there were just two competitors! Would be nice if they could show similar numbers for Nios as well.

Last edited by PrideRed : 22nd May 2020 at 16:12.
PrideRed is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:12   #8
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You forgot the 1.0L BoosterJet that was offered in the Baleno as RS variant which didn't succeed too.
And MSIL shied away from making the 1.0L Boosterjet mainstream, citing the reason that people prefer larger displacement figure and don't bother about the performance.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
And MSIL shied away from making the 1.0L Boosterjet mainstream, citing the reason that people prefer larger displacement figure and don't bother about the performance.
Problem with 1.0L Boosterjet was the K12 series engine which was damn good in Baleno. The performance improvement for the price was not significant and value quotient was missing. Had Hyundai launched NA larger petrol motor in Venue, story would been very different.
PrideRed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

This gem of a motor is going to power Hyundai's small car portfolio below the Creta segment, so definitely has the potential to be the most successful small turbo petrol in India. We'll have to watch for long-term reliability, but that's true for its competition too.

VW's 1.0 TSi will never see similar volumes, hampered by their limited portfolio in the sub-15 Lac range. It can still be popular if it can get anywhere near the pedigree of its famed 1.2 predecessor. Availability of both MT & AT options will help to an extent.

Ford and Suzuki have both given up on their 1 liter turbo petrols already, so no competition there.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd May 2020 at 16:49.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Numerically / Statistically - the claim seems pretty much correct and justified. For whatever the reasons, others like BoosterJet and EcoBoost did not succeed in our market. Fact remains, Hyundai did the right things and ensured this engine sold like hot cakes. Talk of good business strategy & market study. Full marks to the Koreans.

Of course - on the technical front, its still early days. I'd wait and watch for another 2 years or so for the engine to be in use in our conditions. Our conditions - which are one of the toughest in the world with urban traffic jams, searing heat & crazy monsoons! (And chilly winters up in the mountains.) Turbo petrols run at really high temperatures & cooling in our summers is quite a challenge.

I'll consider the engine a robust success when it proves to be bullet proof in our terrain's proving grounds. Till then - I consider it a very good technical achievement and market success nevertheless.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd May 2020 at 16:57.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
What a dumb claim by Hyundai! The other petrol engine on offer is a lame/namesake 1.2L Motor! I hardly have seen this model. Reminds me of MTR Gulab jamoon ad, I came 2nd, well there were just two competitors! Would be nice if they could show similar numbers for Nios as well.
Interesting analogy, but does this acceptance of 1.0 turbo petrol engine also means that the DCT gearbox has also found acceptance among the masses? are DCT from Hyundai any more reliable or can take more abuse than that of VWs?
theautoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:58   #13
BANNED

Count me as someone who's not impressed with this engine.

Has no low end torque, is dead below 2000 rpm, struggles on hills and underground mall parkings, isn't the most fuel efficient either. Then what's it good for? Delhi-Agra highway / Mumbai-Pune expressway runs?

On top of that, the 1.2 NA does not come in the SX and SX(O) variants.
Wanted a car with an NA engine and a sunroof. (Ecosport too pointless for 1 person, don't need the extra space) I guess the Magnite gets my money now.
turbo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:10   #14
BHPian

This is definitely misleading. I doubt the fact that it's a turbo-petrol played much of a part in buyers picking it and it was more due to the features and visual appeal of the higher variant.

Hyundai's 1L GDi in the Venue sells so much because the other engine, the old 1.2 is only available in the base E and S variants. The SX, SX Plus and SX(O) variants are more desirable and customers don't have a choice but to pick the turbo-petrol. It is also the only engine paired with the DCT and I won't be surprised if it's the highest selling variation and what's driving sales.
saur95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has a 1L direct injection turbo, VW had a 1.2L whereas Mahindra has a 1.3L

Best seller claims in any particular displacement seems quite pointless and Hyundai definitely did not pioneer the small capacity turbo petrol in India
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed