Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 18:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once

Got a call from the team which handles warranties at Volkswagen Downtown after the constant follow up with their entire team, and they have confirmed that 6th and 7th year warranties are now available. Although they have confirmed on whatapp, I have requested an email from their team.

Attaching the price list from the Volkswagen website.

Also attaching the screenshots of the add-on warranty from their website here for record in case VW decides to flip their stance again.

Quite a good call by VW. Maybe Skoda's new warranty offering must have irked this.

Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once-add-waranty-1.jpg

Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once-add-waranty-2.jpg

Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once-add-waranty-3.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf add-on-warranty-price.pdf (406.0 KB, 214 views)
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 17:10   #32
BHPian

Hey guys, a little update :

So I sent my car for it's 4th year service yesterday, and was quoted 17650Rs. for the 5th year add-on warranty. I agreed to purchase that and the SVP(Service Value Package) for 2 years, and gave the car to be serviced and check-up. But it seems that aftermarket batteries(even an Amaron one, from a certified Amaron dealer) aren't allowed and I'd have to replace it with the OEM battery before being able to apply for the extended warranty.

I don't understand why they make such a big fuss regarding batteries. I replaced the battery last year after it completely died and left me stranded a couple of times. They charged me 500Rs. to unlock the audio system again(Which, in their defense, was fair as I'd thought I'd forgotten the code at first) - but then refused to tell me the new code, stating clearly that batteries should always and only be changed at the VW A.S.S. Is this a punitive fee for daring to get a battery changed without consulting them? What if I were going somewhere out of station, where there weren't any VW dealerships nearby, and the battery failed then? Why am I not allowed to change something as simple as a battery on a car that I own?
Old 30th August 2020, 01:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post

So I sent my car for it's 4th year service yesterday, and was quoted 17650Rs. for the 5th year add-on warranty. I agreed to purchase that and the SVP(Service Value Package) for 2 years, and gave the car to be serviced and check-up. But it seems that aftermarket batteries(even an Amaron one, from a certified Amaron dealer) aren't allowed and I'd have to replace it with the OEM battery before being able to apply for the extended warranty.

I don't understand why they make such a big fuss regarding batteries. I replaced the battery last year after it completely died and left me stranded a couple of times. They charged me 500Rs. to unlock the audio system again(Which, in their defense, was fair as I'd thought I'd forgotten the code at first) - but then refused to tell me the new code, stating clearly that batteries should always and only be changed at the VW A.S.S. Is this a punitive fee for daring to get a battery changed without consulting them? What if I were going somewhere out of station, where there weren't any VW dealerships nearby, and the battery failed then? Why am I not allowed to change something as simple as a battery on a car that I own?
That is pretty steep for a 5th year warranty.

I got the add on warranty for my polo 1.2 mpi petrol at around Rs 7k (Sticker price of Re 13k - Rs 6k discount) in 2019.

I just spoke to VW dealership in Mumbai yesterday and have been quoted a 7k discount on the 6th year add on warranty and am getting it around 10k.
Theyre also giving a two year SVP at 15k.

If you havent purchased it yet, push them for a discount.

Also regarding the battery, they see to it that it has been purchased from them prior to extending the warranty. Another way to say my way or the highway

Last edited by seedyk : 30th August 2020 at 01:56.
Old 30th August 2020, 22:21   #34
BHPian

Yeah, I think them not providing the add-on warranty with an aftermarket battery is not too bad. It is a service that wasn't guaranteed when I bought the car, and the Service Advisor was decent enough to say that he can't help without taking an accusatory tone. Them refusing to provide me the anti-theft code last year was what pissed me off, that and the attitude the lady behind the desk adopted - as if I had committed a cardinal sin by changing the battery on my own!
(On a redemption arc, I was happy to see that she is no longer there.)

I'm okay with it. Paying an additional 7k isn't great, but they told me upfront that they could only go through if VW approved it, and kept me informed throughout the process. Also, keeping the bigger picture in mind, I don't want to not take the warranty pack over this 7k and potentially get a gearbox failure out of warranty that would set me back by 2 lakhs.

Regarding the warranty pricing, I pushed them as hard as I could. I was in talks with them for over a month, I told the sales lady that I'd bought the car there and always serviced it there on time, but they didn't budge any lower than ~18k. She offered me a coupon for a free general check-up whenever I needed one, instead. Can't win them all.
The SVP for 2 years cost 21555Rs. Pretty decent deal considering that the 4th year service for my Vento would have cost ~18k by itself, and the 5th year one another 15k or so.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post

They made me also change the battery to OEM one when I was purchasing the 5th year add on warranty. I talked to the dealership GM and even the service manager at VW but they told me the same thing that battery has to be OEM for warranty.

I bought my 5th year add-on warranty for around INR 9k after 4k discount since the original cost was 13k. This was just 2 months ago. Have they increased the warranty cost recently?
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
They made me also change the battery to OEM one when I was purchasing the 5th year add on warranty. I talked to the dealership GM and even the service manager at VW but they told me the same thing that battery has to be OEM for warranty.

I bought my 5th year add-on warranty for around INR 9k after 4k discount since the original cost was 13k. This was just 2 months ago. Have they increased the warranty cost recently?
Guess he’s quoted it for his vento. Whereas youve bought it for the gt.

That apart, they indeed have increased the prices marginally. Check out the price chart valid from 1st Aug 2020 in a previous post of mine.

Last edited by seedyk : 2nd September 2020 at 03:10. Reason: Rephrased
seedyk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 22:51   #37
BHPian

I got a quote of Rs. 22,425/- for Vento Highline TDI (DSG) 5th Year Add-on Warranty. Is it worth it?

I was also told that i cannot avail 6th & 7th year warranty.

Please suggest, my current warranty lapses in a weeks time.
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:37   #38
BHPian

Cross posting from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
This has been resolved. VW now offers add-on warranty until the 7th year. However, the catch is that once the add-on warranty is opted, you cannot let it lapse in case you need to avail it for the next year.

However, there can be a gap between availing the add on warranty after the extended warranty expires.
Does it mean that if a car is currently active on 5th year add-on warranty, can avail the 6th year add-on before the current one expires and similarly the 7th as well, which wasn't possible earlier due to the blanket rule of "add-on can be availed only once" ?

I guess for people like me who opted for 5th year add-on which got expired during this confusion stage has still no chance of getting the 6th add-on now, unless VW makes an exception for us, which I don't think will happen at all.
Old 24th November 2020, 00:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Cross posting from another thread:

Does it mean that if a car is currently active on 5th year add-on warranty, can avail the 6th year add-on before the current one expires and similarly the 7th as well, which wasn't possible earlier due to the blanket rule of "add-on can be availed only once" ?

I guess for people like me who opted for 5th year add-on which got expired during this confusion stage has still no chance of getting the 6th add-on now, unless VW makes an exception for us, which I don't think will happen at all.
Sad to know that your warranty expired during their indecisiveness. But you can surely have a word with the dealer and also write to VW India stating that it expired during VWs decision making process.

And Yes. You can now avail 6th and 7th year warranty subject to approval. That is, Volkswagen will run a diagnostic on your car which will involve reading all the fault codes, checking the window motors, checking for an oem battery, check if all the indicators as well as the headlamps and tail lamps function, among other things.

In short, they would only want to extend the warranty if the car is in top notch condition electronically so that their replacement probability is minimised.

This warranty is available on a yearly basis.
Refer to this link for all the details.

Here is the cost sheet for the warranty which is split into two brackets depending on the age of the car, upto 5 years and 6 to 7 years.

Also attaching two sheets which are part of the checks they do. Apart from these l, they also check the brake pads for a certain minimum thickness. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once-4723c5e1982f4eb0adc0c744fe90f942.jpeg  

Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once-55dfa47622d049829093cc8953757aa6.jpeg  

Last edited by seedyk : 24th November 2020 at 00:56. Reason: Correction
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 16:56   #40
zen
BHPian

Finally got the add on warranty for the 7th year for my GT TSI after not being able to get one for the 6th year. They did a full diagnostic as mentioned above and the whole process from diagnostic to certificate issue took about 3 weeks.

(Pleasant) Surprises:
1. They did not have a problem with me using a non-OEM battery.
2. Got a discount (almost 6k) on the warranty.
zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Finally got the add on warranty for the 7th year for my GT TSI after not being able to get one for the 6th year. They did a full diagnostic as mentioned above and the whole process from diagnostic to certificate issue took about 3 weeks.

(Pleasant) Surprises:
1. They did not have a problem with me using a non-OEM battery.
2. Got a discount (almost 6k) on the warranty.
I was posting on this thread earlier about not being able (or rather, choosing not to) take the 5th year warranty because they were not okay with my using a non-OEM battery. But I did get my 6th year warranty extension in Nov/Dec last year, and got the car's steering rack replaced under the new extended warranty I purchased.

This time they didn't bring up the non-OEM battery thing for me, either. Seems like either the policy has changed or this is at the dealer's discretion nowadays.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 00:23   #42
BHPian

I took delivery of my Polo GT TSi on 3 March 2017 with 2 years of standard warranty and 2 years of extended warranty. I bought the add-on warranty for the 5th year sometime in February 2021 at the time of the annual maintenance service. This year (2022), VW called me for the annual maintenance in January and it was done in January. When I asked them for the add-on warranty for the 6th year, they said add-on warranty could be considered by VW only after an inspection done within the last month of the validity of the existing warranty. Hence in February I had to send the car again for their inspection. The car was delivered back the same day, but they were quiet for a full week, and after a bit of persuasion from my side regarding what was causing the delay, they finally gave me the 6th year add-on warranty. I even got Rs 4000 discount because it was on for that month (announced in VW website), so instead of the Rs 14k+, I had to pay a bit more than Rs 10k. Just sharing my experience if it helps anybody.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 16:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
I took delivery of my Polo GT TSi on 3 March 2017 with 2 years of standard warranty and 2 years of extended warranty. I bought the add-on warranty for the 5th year sometime in February 2021 at the time of the annual maintenance service. This year (2022), VW called me for the annual maintenance in January and it was done in January. When I asked them for the add-on warranty for the 6th year, they said add-on warranty could be considered by VW only after an inspection done within the last month of the validity of the existing warranty. Hence in February I had to send the car again for their inspection. The car was delivered back the same day, but they were quiet for a full week, and after a bit of persuasion from my side regarding what was causing the delay, they finally gave me the 6th year add-on warranty. I even got Rs 4000 discount because it was on for that month (announced in VW website), so instead of the Rs 14k+, I had to pay a bit more than Rs 10k. Just sharing my experience if it helps anybody.
Thanks for your post, it is really good to know that you got the 6th Year Addon Warranty. I have an April 2017 model Polo GT TSI with 2 years extended warranty. I also got the 5th Year Addon warranty in April 2021 which expires at the end of April 2022.

Today I called VW dealer here and asked for the 6th Year Addon and they refused saying that you can buy the Addon cover only once. Same old story is repeating itself.

I wrote to VW on their customer care email address and then as usual got a call back from the dealer explaining that Addon can be issued only once in 5th, 6th or 7th Year.

I gave them the example that our fellow members from Team BHP have recently received 6th Year warranty in exactly similar situations.

Then the person said they will talk to VW and then get back to me. I don't understand why this confusion is persisting even after so many years. Its quite frustrating.
Old 9th April 2022, 14:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
...the person said they will talk to VW and then get back to me. I don't understand why this confusion is persisting even after so many years. Its quite frustrating.
Frustrating indeed!!!

You should keep at it, and be persistent. There is no reason you cannot get the add-on warranty renewed for the 6th year if you otherwise fulfil all conditions. As I have written above, I was very persistent and kept on asking my contact person in the VW service why VW was delaying with the approval. I remember, in 2021 it took a day or so, but this time I had to wait for a whole week before the VW approval. Even if they denied, I would have made an issue and ask for the reasons, since my car was never handled by anyone other than VW authorised people.

I have replied to your PM. Kindly check it out. Sorry for the delayed response.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 14:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Frustrating indeed!!!

You should keep at it, and be persistent. There is no reason you cannot get the add-on warranty renewed for the 6th year if you otherwise fulfil all conditions. As I have written above, I was very persistent and kept on asking my contact person in the VW service why VW was delaying with the approval. I remember, in 2021 it took a day or so, but this time I had to wait for a whole week before the VW approval. Even if they denied, I would have made an issue and ask for the reasons, since my car was never handled by anyone other than VW authorised people.

I have replied to your PM. Kindly check it out. Sorry for the delayed response.
Thanks for the PM, they have finally relented after I showed them addon warranty certificates for two consecutive years issued to my friend.

They are now checking the car and hopefully will issue the warranty once it’s done.

It’s quite a broken process and not at all standard. Seems like getting an addon warranty depends on your equation with the service center and VW’s mood.

In any case thanks, we now have enough cases where multiple addons have been issued and hopefully fellow members will not face issue in future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks