Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 11:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021

Thou shalt be missed!

I was looking at the head line and stopped reading as RIP Mitsubishi.

Both their vehicles in India- The Lancer & the Pajero SFX were the best in class. Evo was the poor man's M5. They had immense mod potential and the a yellow lancer with the big spoilers used to make me go weak in the knees. Over time they lost their game (partly due to partnership with HM) and did not update/market the vehicles the worth they deserved. I have been in the Outlander and Montero (India) and my big boss has a Pajero sport to ferry him around when he is in town. The pajero sport was a far more capable vehicle than the fortune. Lack of support with local partners, and faltering global issues made the brand loose the attraction.

Hope the company survives and comes back with equally capable vehicles.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 12:47   #17
BHPian

Man that’s really sad. This legend remains one of the nicest looking (read clean proportionate) designs on SUVs. Admittedly it was a very old design (2005 onwards) with barely any changes made to the model yet to me it was the best looking SUV around.

I have driven the 3.8L V6 MIVEC variant for a couple of months as a rental and I have to admit that as much as the exterior fascinated me, the overall drive felt very “truck-like”. This car was not refined. I get that it’s essentially an off roader but it falls well short of the Toyota Prado in terms of refinement.

Can only hope that Mitsubishi does revive the name soon enough !
JayKavadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 02:47   #18
BHPian

Honestly, it never felt to me that Mitsubishi really wanted to shine in Auto space. This was never their forte, they are better good at other things, auto sales always remained a minuscule of their business portfolio. If I’m not wrong, they could not sell a single car in India since 2019.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 31st July 2020 at 02:53.
Old 31st July 2020, 03:08   #19
BHPian

Sad news. A good vehicle gone due to bad management of the company!

Since a month, I was thinking of getting a used auto SUV in the next couple of years. Had shortlisted Pajero Auto. Now I think I need to offload this thought from my mind as spares availability/ resale might become an issue.

Hope company relaunches Pajero in future, in an even improved avatar!
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 04:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ironical that Mitsubishi is putting the Pajero to rest in a market that is so hot on SUVs! Shows just how mis-managed & weak the company has been. Since the 2000s, Mitsubishi is on a slippery slope, with every year being worse than the previous.

That said, the Pajero nameplate is too iconic to be permanently dead. I am sure they will resurrect it later, but for a softer crossover.
Mitsubishi is still focusing on SUVs, but the success they enjoy with the Pajero Sport shows that there is a market for that segment. The full size Pajero in their opinion is too much to invest on, for little demand.

The Pajero nameplate continues, but with Sport suffixed to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I believe this news is not about Pajeros we had in India. The Pajero we had in India is actually Montero in international market. The news is about stopping the production of actual Pajero which I believe was not sold in India. It's very unlikely for Montero to go out of production as its really popular in Middle East and southeast Asian markets.
Unfortunately, this news is applicable to the Pajero/Montero/Shogun nameplate, despite the trickle demand for this vehicle even today in some markets. In Australia, for example it still sells more than the more modern Ford Endeavour/Everest.

I am glad to have the chance to own this truck in its final avatar. Some pics from various trips.

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-img_1183_1.jpg

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-pajero.jpg

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-pajero1.jpg

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-pajero2.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 09:15   #21
BHPian

First the Grand Vitara. And now the Montero.
2 tough as nails badroaders now riding off into the sunset.
They will be missed.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:09   #22
BHPian

Unlike in India where it's known as the Montero and comes with an exorbitant price tag of around 70L rupees, it's actually one of the most value for money vehicles here in the Middle East where its price starts at less than 20L rupees!! The 3.8L V6 petrol engine which powers this beast may not be the most modern but still gets the job done (it's a gas guzzler though). It will be quite a surprise if there are no more new Pajeros on Dubai roads since it is one of the most popular SUVs out here. I have personally driven this butch SUV on a road trip for more than 500 kms and it has its own charm and ruggedness in a market which is moving more towards crossovers and soft roaders. Attaching some pictures from my road trip to Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
Attached Thumbnails
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-img20191129wa0082.jpg  

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-20200731_113629.jpg  

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-20200731_113512.jpg  

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-20200731_113548.jpg  

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-20200731_113529.jpg  

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-20200731_113832.jpg  

imzahid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:22   #23
BHPian

Though Pajero has its own Cult followers, this SUV is way too outdated in terms of Exterior, Interior as well as the engine. The next gen Pajero should have been on road at least 6 to 8 years ago and I am surprised that people are still buying it.

If I remember correctly, the current body shape of Pajero /Montero was introduced in 2000 and its a shame that a company like Mitsubishi is still selling that model with minor upgrades.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Much like the Nissan Patrol and Toyota Land Cruiser, the Mitsubishi Pajero has stood the test of time by being a simple, go-anywhere machine albeit without providing a "plush" experience to the passengers. The exhilaration of the driver, though, is a separate discussion altogether

Like it or not, the market is moving towards "softer" SUVs, at least here in India. Gone are the days of tougher-than-nails, rugged, mechanical beasts wherein these have made way for hatches-on-stilts, loaded with gizmos fit for gaming parlors

At the end of the day, manufacturers are here to make money and not to cater to purists! What sells is manufactured, what does not... RIP!
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:48   #25
BHPian

Well having driven the Pajero or Montero in some markets , this vehicle has been on sale for more than 20 years the last being an update for the 3rd generation Pajero. With that Euro 4 engine and horrendous mileage its a good decision to stop the vehicle production.The reason it sold well in a few markets was that you got an able 4x4 vehicle at half the price of a Toyota Prado . But sad to see there wont be a successor for the iconic Pajero. Mitsubishi Lineup is frail with a weak line up of vehicles now. Not expecting any wonders to come out from the Nissan - Renault tie up for Mitsubishi. Having owned the Mitsubishi ASX my opinion for Mitsubishi vehicles is that their vehicles are solidly built vehicles & spare parts bit more expensive than Honda.
Old 31st July 2020, 23:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see an iconic nameplate go. This brand isn't shadow of its past glory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
The trio formed by mitsubishi-renault-nissan may target each continent separately. Mitsubishi for North America. Renault for Europe and Nissan for Asia.
I'd beg to differ. Nissan is probably 10x Mitsubishi in the US and has decent trucks and SUVs unlike Mitsubishi. And the current Mitsubishi lineup in the US in (unfortunately) laughable.
IMHO:
USA = Nissan
EU = Renault
SE Asia + Australia = Mitsubishi
Africa = Nissan + Renault (smaller cars) + Mitsubishi
*China + Indian subcontinent = Renault + Nissan (smaller cars) + *Mitsubishi (if they build body on frame SUVs)
Quote:
The weakest are hit the worst by economic downturns & Mitsubishi is suffering big time due to Covid-19. This is just the start of the cuts.....I am sure they will resurrect it later, but for a softer crossover.
Mitsubishi Auto haven't been doing well for a while now and were hanging by a string. The Mitsubishi company is far bigger.
I'd hate to see a softroader name Pajero just as I'd hate to see a Landcruiser have a softroader version.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 31st July 2020 at 23:22.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 14:35   #27

The Pajero was a beautiful vehicle. Bit outdated interiors, but rugged build. Photo of my Pajero after travelling through a duststorm
Attached Thumbnails
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-img_20180826_173858.jpeg  

vmathews is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:34   #28
BHPian

Very Sad News Indeed. How can a company can perfom so bad in the sales, when they have some brilliant products in their line up?

I am also lucky to have one in my garage in the form of Pajero Sport.
Attached Thumbnails
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-pajero1.jpg  

Speed-Gladiator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 15:16   #29
BHPian

I think they are late in taking this decision. Even though this vehicle is capable of doing perfectly what it is expected to do, it is lacking the modern-ness of the new vehicles. It feels quite out dated. In Indian context, we can compare this with old Safari. A good and capable vehicle but outdated in terms of almost everything. It was so outdated that its refresh version (Storme) was felt outdated at the time of launch.
This is my thinking only and no offence to any Safari or Storme owner.
Old 11th August 2020, 22:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The weakest are hit the worst by economic downturns & Mitsubishi is suffering big time due to Covid-19. This is just the start of the cuts.

Ironical that Mitsubishi is putting the Pajero to rest in a market that is so hot on SUVs! Shows just how mis-managed & weak the company has been. Since the 2000s, Mitsubishi is on a slippery slope, with every year being worse than the previous.

That said, the Pajero nameplate is too iconic to be permanently dead. I am sure they will resurrect it later, but for a softer crossover.
In spite of what I own, the feeling anyone will get about this news is HEARTBREAK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks