Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 14:32   #16
BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Woaahh! Kia has done it again. I think as per the segment standards, Kia has outdone themselves. A sureshot winner for the Indian market. I hope Kia does not mess up with the pricing.

The only eyesore I see in the package is that very high mounted ACC control panel. Its right in your face and not pleasing. With lower segments and their manual AC units it will look ugly.

Kudos to a fabulous write up, a mini review of sorts! Although, the performance part will be tested later.
ShivWason17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:40   #17
BHPian

Excellent in-depth coverage @ speed by Team-BHP!

This is the car everyone has been waiting for this year. Kia has done well to offer a 'mini Seltos' rather than a Venue sibling. I am sure this car is already in many people's shopping carts - urban buyers have been keenly watching the automatic variants on offer. Kia only has to price it sensibly and they have another runaway hit.

Also with the combined volume of Seltos and Sonet, Kia will need to increase service center count and capacity across the country.
subuiyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Astonishing package from Kia, hope they don't price close to Xuv300 or Nexon. Diesel AT is surely the masterstroke.

Hope Diesel AT is available on the top end(highly unlikely though).

Last edited by giri1.8 : 7th August 2020 at 14:50.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:44   #19
BHPian

Excellent design and dynamics. The GT LINE front looks amazing and the back,as GTO thinks, has character. Now what Kia needs to do is nail the pricing here. Pricing still remains crucial. IMHO the Venue feels pale infront of the Sonet.

Venue's sales are surely taking a blow here. If I'm going for a C-SUV this would definitely be in my list along with Ecosport and the Nexon.
Cheers!
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:47   #20
BHPian

This is excellent from Kia. Another blockbuster in the making.

Diesel AT is the highlight and Ford will be sweating since Ecosport will be the most affected. They had the transmission & the engine but, for reasons best known to them, never got them together.

This will ensure Kia takes the podium position comfortably. I'd love to see a tight fight between TATA & Kia for the 3rd spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
On one hand, I really appreciate Kia for giving us the option of a Torque Converter Automatic transmission with a Diesel engine, but on the other, I do think it is kind of pointless, because the pricing for this puts in a spot where one would'nt (or shouldn't, for that matter) extend a little and get the Creta/Seltos, both of which are vastly superior in every way.
You'll have to draw the line somewhere. Equivalent Creta/Seltos diesel ATs will cost you much more.

On one hand we crib when manufacturers launch a car without AT option and on the other hand we have concerns on pricing when a manufacturer gives all possible choices.

We'll have to be reasonable

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th August 2020 at 15:01.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I may be the minority here for not going gaga over the Sonet. I personally feel it has a sad looking rear (specially when seen from rear 3 quarters). And that centre console looks awkward.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200807_122350.jpg

I find the venue more proportionhate amongst the two.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th August 2020 at 14:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:53   #22
BHPian

Quite an interesting car. If I were to be in market today would be hard pressed to choose between this and Nexon.
Again why could not TATA or Mahindra think about mating TC to their diesel engines. Or why could not TATA offer 6 airbag version in the facelift.
TATA could have offered the Subwoofer as well. These are things that could have been a brand building activity. Its not as if TATA is offering Nexon on a new platform.

I still like the Nexon, just that they could have made it into a long term brand. If a Korean company can come and offer so much why our home grown manufacturers are unable to match their eagerness.

I think Venue will not be affected so much, Nexon and Xuv300 will take the most hit. Koreans have it covered in the 10-20L segment, Suzuki in Sub-10L. TATA and Mahindra are going to struggle big time in the next 2-3 years unless they do drastic changes to their market approach. TATA has shown some promise with good offerings off lately, Mahindra is stuck with XUV500 success post which they could not be in top 3 of any segment (not counting Bolero)
aniyo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I may be the minority here for not going gaga over the Sonet. I personally feel it has a sad looking rear (specially when seen from rear 3 quarters). And that centre console looks awkward.

Attachment 2039628

I find the venue more proportionhate amongst the two.
+1, the car looks almost like a hatchback
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:02   #24
BHPian

As a SX+ DCT Venue owner (and having less than 3k on the Odo) I have to say that I am a little green
I really wanted the ventilated seats and the TPMS in this segment and lo and behold, Kia delivers it.
-In terms of features and bling, Sonet is right at the top
-Not going ga-ga over the design. It is good but nothing extra ordinary
-Don't like the central console with the vents protruding in your face
-Love the package as a whole especially the TC in the 1.5L diesel
-Like the integrated air purifier (compared to Venue)
Given the choice today, I'd go for the Sonet (unless they say the waiting period is 6months which led me away from Seltos IVT to Venue DCT).

That said, a phenomenal launch... Take a bow Kia!
ValarMorghulis is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am reminded of the famous line from Fresh Prince of Bel Air which Uncle Phil said to Will Smith -could be directed to the likes of Brezza, Urban Cruiser, Ecosport,Nexon & XUV300 "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid ".

GT line DCT, Diesel AT and IMT would be my top picks. I just hope they don't bring out a "GT-minus" version for the DCT with 2 airbags ala Venue.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:07   #26
BHPian

Huge respect for KIA, for not taking Indian consumers for granted and offering the best it can. Without doubt, Sonet will zoom past its competition and create new sales records. Only factor, though, to be seen is the pricing. Just hoping KIA would price it right.
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:08   #27
BHPian

Wow, another great addition by Kia! After Polo GT (DSG) has been taken out of the market, this looks like another competent option in that space, especially the GTLine which they have. Relatively small in size and faster option!
prajakt_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

This car will blow it's competitors away, the Venue already feels a gen or a half older than the Sonet, definitely Kia knows how to capture the market's attention with a bang. First the Seltos now the Sonet, loaded with all gizmos and features. striking looks, wide variant-gearbox array and that Diesel TC Auto definitely needs applause.

Cars one segment above don't get features that the Sonet gets! Though the sales may be higher than the Venue but Venue will continue selling just like the scenario is between the Seltos and Creta currently.

Just hope it is well priced and Kia gets the variant allocation at the time of deliveries right this time around, don't want a similar scene as the initial Seltos deliveries.

As GTO sir had said earlier at the time of the Seltos, Kia definitely requires a case-study. Period.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 7th August 2020 at 15:17.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Another image of the Sonet
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img20200807wa0071.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Close Look is almost like a review, Aditya. . Diesel AT is a masterstroke. There isn't a single hatchback or sub-4M SUV with diesel-TC combo. Let's not even talk about AMTs. Even Venue doesn't have an AT on diesel. That could be the reason for stagnating sales of Venue. It didn't make it to top 10 this month whereas, surprisingly, only-petrol Brezza did. Anyway, coming back to Sonet, some people are already complaining that Sonet D-AT will be closer to Creta/Seltos prices. Well, not everyone likes a big car. A huge percentage of cars don't see their back seats occupied more than 5-6 times a year. These are mostly driven solo or 1+1. Sonet D-AT will be a perfect car for such people for its city-friendly size. This will also perform well on highways owing to 1.5L engine on a light-body. And, needless to say, mighty frugal. Take a bow, Kia. God help the opposition, including Venue.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks