Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 19:35   #76
BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Feature list looks great for the money. BUT, the front looks like a christmas tree. Whatever happened to timeless designs that age gracefully? Oh well, India I guess... I can imagine in 10 years time we will look back at these over the top bling designs and laugh just as I see photos of my childhood with 'bermuda' shorts.

Something for the aftermarket to do I guess, dechrome and de-bling the design and it will look pretty good!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2020 at 20:37. Reason: Typos.
Reesnat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 20:07   #77
BHPian

Will it be possible to fit a dog or two in the boot comfortably in this car? Off course by removing the parcel tray?
sbanerjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 20:35   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Will it be possible to fit a dog or two in the boot comfortably in this car? Off course by removing the parcel tray?
Depends on the dog breed! If it is a Pom , you could fit two. But if it is a Labrador, even one will not be comfortable in the back.
This was also one of my key criteria as I had a Lab till last year and we used to check if we could fit him in the boot. Most cars including our Jeep Compass failed this criteria. The only car which was able to accomodate him and also our weekend luggage was our Skoda Laura, which has a humongous boot with a notchback design.
If taking your Dog is a key criteria, you should consider the Renault Triber (take out the last two seats). He will be comfortable there as it has a huge space and also has third row ac vents to keep him cool. I doubt that the Sonet will be comfortable for dogs in the boot as it is a deep boot and he will not be able to see anything and will feel claustrophobic.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 20:40   #79

Finally the wait is over, ever since the the autoexpo! Glad Kia stuck to the concept design, which i totally dig.

Love the fact that Sonet has ventilated seats! Meh, 360 degree camera and reach steering adjustment will be sorely missed though. No paddle shifters also compared to Venue. But otherwise definitely a strong contender for my next car.
Old 7th August 2020, 20:43   #80
BHPian

Another blockbuster from KIA! They sure have a winner in their hands. No doubt about this.

Out from the wild, inspired by a baby elephant, a tiger and an Indian temple architecture.

I bought the top end seltos recently, and was taken aback for a short while after seeing all the bells and whistles packed into this sonet. Don't know if i made a mistake of buying the Seltos.

The seltos and creta are built on a much superior K2 platform and I guess KIA has not used the same K2 platform for the Sonet. This is the only thing that i can be happy about!!

Apart from the platform and visual differences, this is more or less a mini seltos and I am sure this will hit the sales of seltos and creta to some extent.

Though this is equivalent to a Venue, Venue is not as appealing as the sonet in terms of design.

Instead of buying a mid-variant seltos, people may opt for a top end Sonet.

Pricing is the key for KIA. If they keep it within the reach, I guess it will sell like hot cakes.

keeping fingers crossed to see what happens!!

Kia Sonet World Premiere - on Youtube.

Made in India for the world! just Amazing!

Last edited by Amyth Prabhakar : 7th August 2020 at 20:55.
Old 7th August 2020, 21:03   #81
BHPian

Seems like a great car overall but unfortunately, the advanced safety features available abroad remain missing. What I am desperately waiting for is for carmakers to include adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, lane assist and pedestrian detection. Unfortunately no carmaker except Volvo is providing these in India. On the plus side, we are getting cooled seats, side airbags and larger displays. Also missing are fully digital instrument panels.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 21:10   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Most cars including our Jeep Compass failed this criteria. The only car which was able to accomodate him and also our weekend luggage was our Skoda Laura, which has a humongous boot with a notchback design.
If taking your Dog is a key criteria, you should consider the Renault Triber (take out the last two seats). He will be comfortable there as it has a huge space and a
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I kind of liked the Sonet. We also fit nicely in Ertiga too. Reference picture.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-fb_img_1596814436650.jpg  

sbanerjee is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 21:37   #83
BHPian

Though I had decided not to consider the Hyundai and Kia for the upcoming purchase, the overall package of the Sonet seems to be attracting me. Hence I am adding the Sonet to my shortlist. I have already shortlisted - Yaris, Urban Cruiser/Brezza, S-Cross, Kicks 1.3, Creta E Diesel (due to competitive price of base variant). Waiting for Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiber and nextgen Ford Ecosport before deciding.

Anticipating the heat, Hyundai has already started offering dealer discounts on Creta (Diesel) to accumulate as much bookings as possible before KIA announces the pricing.
Old 7th August 2020, 21:45   #84
BHPian

I may be a little late to the party but here are my contributions

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...778406283.html

Mods, plz delete if already posted.
Old 7th August 2020, 21:56   #85
BHPian

Take a bow Aditya! So much attention to detail in the limited shared time you get. Almost all details are there.

Width looks similar to Venue so its mostly a 2 adults and a kid seater at the rear. Eagerly waiting for the diesel AT and hope there is a mid variant with this combination. As everyone mentioned pricing is the key here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th August 2020 at 09:08. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 7th August 2020, 22:08   #86
BHPian

In what is otherwise a well loaded package.

4 parking sensors for the front

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-front.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-front-2.jpg
2 parking sensors for the rear

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-rear.jpg

I don't know what logic Kia applied here or is it that Hyundai had given them an ultimatum that it already offers a lot over the venue and they cannot offer 4 parking sensors for the rear.

Last edited by sv97 : 7th August 2020 at 22:11.
sv97 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:13   #87
BHPian

Excellent coverage Aditya! Just add a drive report and we potentially have a full review of the car.

KIA is going strength to strength and they've done their homework and how. The features on the Sonet are quite unbelievable at the price point and segment it will operate in. I see this doing 10k units per month easily if not significantly more. The competition has a lot to match up to in terms of what KIA is offering especially with the death of a good diesel AT in the lower segments which this fills perfectly.

I think this will be a perfect beater car for someone like me and with my frequent Mumbai to Pune runs I'd imagine the diesel AT to perfectly fit the bill. I also expect it to be that much more robust than the Petrol in the long run and as GTO rightly says this may be priced in the same ballpark for the turbo petrol with DCT and diesel AT. I am already itching to change my i10 to this

I feel the diesel AT will be a better buy than the turbo petrol with DCT given the difference in performance may not be as significant as it is on the Seltos / Creta diesel vs turbo petrol. I haven't driven them but my assessment is based on drive reports and numbers on paper.

P.S. It will be interesting to how the market and this segment reacts to Maruti's petrol only strategy with the Brezza post BS VI. KIA and Hyundai have all bases covered as things stand and hope they get the success they deserve.
miharbe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:21   #88
BHPian

Sorry if this was discussed before. But if I want a proper and reliable automatic in the petrol variant, I dont seem to have a choice. The IMT would still need me to use my lazy left hand and the DCT is not the most reliable tranny out there.

Seems Kia wants someone like me to reluctantly look at the diesel.

Nevertheless a blockbuster release from Kia. Will make many go weak in the knees.
Old 7th August 2020, 22:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

The space at rear seems more than Venue's. Biggest downer of Venue is very tight rear space. Hope Sonet has better rear space. Kia should push the seats back a bit even if it means sacrificing some boot-space. After all, we use rear seats more often than we use boot.

Kia should also do away with red accents on GT line. It looks like some after-market car-decor work. The digital speedo indicator looks like 90s Casio 7-segment display. Couldn't they give solid looking digits as opposed to fragmented? Look at 8th gen Civic's solid thick digital display.

These apart, the car rocks. I am weighing diesel AT variant as my next car. But then I also have new Thar, Brezza/S-Cross, Duster 1.3, Kicks 1.3, Magnite, Kiger in my short-list. Basically, it has to be a raised car with TC or CVT PLUS cruise control. Strong contenders appear to be Thar and Sonet. Next up is Duster 1.3. Yes, it's the oldest of the pack but this time they are throwing in push-button start, ACC, cruise-control and LED lights. Duster's ride quality is peerless. Probably other cars are just also-rans of my list. I want to get one out of these by Oct/Nov. Wish I had 35L lying around. That could have accommodated both Thar and Sonet.

Last edited by pgsagar : 7th August 2020 at 22:36. Reason: Spelling
Old 7th August 2020, 22:49   #90
BHPian

Don't know what happend to kia interms of design, disappointed the way rear profile is. Not sure if I expected more from kia seeing the teaser and other things, but the rear profile does not blend with the overall vehicle and looks strange (Slightly reminds me of ssangyong rexton).

Overall looks like an hatchback rather than CSUV.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks