Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do AT car owners miss slotting the stick into a gear?
Yes 149 27.39%
No 395 72.61%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 10:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: AT Owners: Do you ever miss shifting an MT? Any regrets?

Voted for YES.
The answer is relative and depends mainly upon the car and the number of hours spend on the wheel, and also depends upon the area of driving (city / highway).
MT gives you the feeling of driving overall, while AT for me is just moving. Well I love the AT and will mostly never go back to MT. 90% of my drives are highway, so the AT is comfortable and less tiring, although I miss the MT when I go for occasional off road trips or overlanding.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 14th September 2020 at 10:12.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:22   #32
BHPian

Voted No.
Before this thread goes AMT bashing OT, let me put it out. I have an AMT and a MT at home and I prefer the AMT one anyday and for any kind of drive.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:26   #33
BHPian

Voted No.
We have Swift since 2010 and Alto K10 AMT since 2016. Off late I find myself using the Alto AMT more and more for intra-city runs just to avoid shifting gears in choc-a-bloc Blr traffic (pre-covid times ofcourse). It's not that I don't enjoy MT, in-fact one of the reasons I still love my Swift is because of the slick and short gearshifts but the AT's convenience is far too great. These days the Swift comes out only on weekend highway drives and that too not because of MT/AT difference but simply because it's a far more stable and enjoyable car on highways than Alto. Infact, we've decided that next whatever car we upgrade to (replacing the >10 yrs old Swift), it HAS to be an automatic.

Also recently, we booked a Triber AMT Rxz back at my hometown in West Bengal for my parents. Before booking, Dad, myself and my wife had a test drive on the AMT Triber. My dad had been driving only manual cars all his life and I was half-expecting some resistance from him for adopting to automatic but surprisingly he enjoyed the experience. So we ended up ended up booking the AMT.
Anduril is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:36   #34
BHPian

I do miss it. Although today's DSGs and DCTs are pretty quick, the joy and satisfaction of clutching and shifting gears are sorely missed! Owning an AMT and a DCT, majority of the driving is done on the manual mode to get the feel of changing gears according to need, but this can never replace a manual.
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:40   #35
BHPian

Naah never, I drive two AT's,

1. Volvo S60 for my spirited drives and it is mated with Aisin 8 Speed gearbox, its a delight to drive, turn on the Sports mode and the car RPM increases and it turns into a mean machine every boy desires and in normal mode it gives a luxury drive with the family, was the reason enough to buy the car. You will never be able to shift manually the speed at which the car does itself.

2. Glanza CVT to run errands and market, had the Glanza been a daily drive for me i would have missed the manual to be honest for a spirited drive however the convenience it brings in is parallel to none manual car, i have had my back problems & pain in left leg with my Verna CRDI manual and i had swore by to never buy manuals again. However, you would be able to change gears manually twice the way i which this gearbox works but hey !! it gives me comfort, great mileage and almost Nil maintenance.
M.Dua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:43   #36
Team-BHP Support

Wait, what sort of a question is this!

Voted No. Given how intelligent AT boxes have gotten (especially the superb tune on DSGs and ZFs) and the amount of traffic on our roads, an MT doesn't make sense. For the time you really want the thrill of controlling gearshifts, just slot in S.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:43   #37
BANNED

Of my 18 years of car ownership and having used 4 manual cars for first 13 years, 2 years of overlapping manual and automatic and last 3 years of automatic only, I will never go back to manuals. I used to miss manuals initially at a signal, but nowadays I’m comfortable with automatic, maybe the boy racer in me is long dead or becoming a father of two has mellowed me down. But it all depends on the transmission I feel, I can’t stand an AMT or most CVT’s. But if it boils down to a manual and an AMT like that in Nexon, I will still go for AMT. Our traffic and roads doesn’t justify putting the left leg for a total knee replacement how much ever fun the manual will be.

But I would still argue that a youngster should use a manual for his initial years, but the way things are going that itself would be almost impossible. In US you only have 17 models with a manual transmission! It’s too rare there and the trend in our country shows we are heading that way.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:51   #38
BHPian

We have had an AT Celerio in the past and now have a GLE. The other 3 cars are MTs. The AT is very convenient when you want to just relax and enjoy the drive and I miss that sometimes when I'm lazy and I'm driving on twisties or on a crowded hughway. But at the same time there are times when I just want to slot down and take off and those are the times I miss the MT.
Old 14th September 2020, 10:59   #39
BHPian

Voted No. as auto gearboxes go, I have a humble AMT in my diesel Nexon. I have not used the manual mode at all, done silly speeds and overtook people at ease. It depends on the engine + gearbox combo I guess. Absolutely hated the AMT on the Brezza Diesel, but like the one on the Nexon.

I don’t see myself switching to manuals in the future.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:00   #40
BHPian

We have Cruze LTZ AT with us in the family and then we have the SX4 ZDI MT. Even now, I prefer to take out SX4 for having fun in twisty roads and Cruze for long distance travels. Yeah, Cruze is a monster and can reach silly speeds faster but the fun of revving the motor to be in power band and achieve that speed, for me is not something I would trade for.

But that is not to say I hate ATs. I love AT for the sheer comfort it gives in city, but when I want to have fun, I take out MT.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:07   #41
BHPian

Interesting Question!!

In the city, I drive with a had on the gear lever of my GT & mostly in manual mode.
On highways I don't miss the MT so much. Whenever there a urge to overtake, the manual mode comes on.

Do I miss the MT- yes. I do in the city.
Am I disappointed with the AT - not really - also its an DSG so not a worry. With the old Scorpio AT I missed it big time as it took out the juice of the 2.2 mHawk completely.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:10   #42
BHPian

Voted NO!

Even if it's a normal 4/5 speed AT, once you get used to it then there is no question of going back.

Yes I feel more enthusiastic when I occasionally drive my friend's OLD BALENO with stick shift or such similar cars, but I never missed a MT while using an AT as my daily driver.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Voted a solid NO. I have been driving AT since last 5 years and I definitely don't miss MT. MT just can't match the convenience provided by AT in cities. Lately it's the same on highways too. With the ever increasing traffic on highways and deteriorating road conditions, AT is the best choice for me. I'll never go back to MT again.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:22   #44
BHPian

Voted No. I drive a torque converter based AT Scorpio and it never disappoints. The amount of torque put down on road is actually scary. You have to witness it to believe it. Would I go back to manual transmission - NO. Would I drive any other AT tech like AMT, CVT, iMT, etc. NO. I would want a proper torque based automatic.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:35   #45
BHPian

Voted YES.

We have a Duster AMT 110PS and Ecosport S TDCi. While Duster is very good vehicle in bumper-to-bumper traffic, its has it own mind while changing gears. It's been 4 years since we brought it, and Triptonic mode is something we never could get used to.

Things I think we miss in our Duster were probably an MT or a Paddle Shifters in our AMT. When doing a spirited driving, we still prefer Ecosport.

Last year, I test drove an GT TSI. Mann, I love that DSG.

Last edited by shashi792 : 14th September 2020 at 11:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks