Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Crossover 432 57.14%
Sedan 324 42.86%
Voters: 756. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2022, 12:26   #226

My choice will be others. I think I am the minority here but I love crossovers like the S-Cross and Etios Cross because they give ample GC for the city potholes and driving comfort like a sedan but nowadays, everything is an SUV whether it's S-Presso or Venue.

For me, it will be the crossovers like Freestyle and S-Cross. Don't know why car manufacturers are afraid to use the word crossover.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2022 at 06:12. Reason: Edited for better readability
Octane 99 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st October 2022, 14:38   #227
BHPian

Re: SUVs vs Sedans: The complete analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
High Seating: This is a valid reason for all high riding cars. A Sedan will never give you a chance to see it’s bonnet from inside the car, an SUV will. Also, people with knee problems have no other option but an SUV.
I'm a hardcore sedan/hatchback guy. Voted for the same.

But this point of yours may change my mind.

I have developed a problem in my right knee over the last couple of years. I get this sharp stabbing pain during/after really long drives in my Altis (think 2-3 hours or more of continuous driving).

I've always assumed that this happens because the Altis has a heavy accelerator pedal (which is great for fun and feedback, but it's clearly tiring my knee on long drives). My Honda City has a much lighter pedal, and does not cause me knee pain.

I've never driven an SUV for hours on end, so I'd like to know from other people with knee problems, would the different driving position prevent my knee from hurting? How does an SUV's high driving position help with knee pain?
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 16:22   #228
BHPian

Need to define a "SUV" first. A place where a tin can like S-Presso and hatchbacks like Tata Punch are also claimed as SUVs. All pseudo hatchbacks-on-steroids are also claimed to be SUVs. Within all this, the true definition of SUV has been lost.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 31st October 2022 at 16:24.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 16:32   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Need to define a "SUV" first. A place where a tin can like S-Presso and hatchbacks like Tata Punch are also claimed as SUVs. All pseudo hatchbacks-on-steroids are also claimed to be SUVs. Within all this, the true definition of SUV has been lost.
Honestly, at this point, SUV is a mood
Garud is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 18:35   #230
BANNED

Quote:
Oru kadhai sollattuma (Should I tell a story). There was one hatchback from Maruti, Ignis was it's name. Being a great hatchback, it won the best hatchback of the year award. The very next year, Maruti came up with a facelift, added some claddings and a legend was born, presenting the 'urban SUV'. This explains the story of most of the SUVs in our market.

Note: never meant to hurt the sentiments of any Ignis owners with this post. Infact I also agree, it is a good package as a whole.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 19:33   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Other than the silhouette or whatever the brand would like to call as an SUV (Just look at Porsche Macan), I do not think there is any way to find out what a real SUV is.

Espresso on the other hand is a very VFM product, good power, good gearing, space, visibility, refinement, comfort , fuel efficiency and easy to drive (MT). I do not know what else one can get for that kind of money which offers the SUV-like seating an Espresso has.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 19:50   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
Introduction:

High Seating: This is a valid reason for all high riding cars. A Sedan will never give you a chance to see it’s bonnet from inside the car, an SUV will. Also, people with knee problems have no other option but an SUV.
This is personal, but I agree majority likes high seating.
For me, this is the main reason I would never go for a SUV. I like to sit as low as possible in the car. I hate the seating position of new i20 itself which even at the lowest setting is too high for me. And I hated this in most crossovers and SUVs too.
On the contrary I love the seating of Octavia at lowest + 1. Agree visibility is better with high seating, but you feel more connected to the car at low seating.

Last edited by sunikkat : 31st October 2022 at 19:52.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 22:05   #233
BHPian

Re: Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?

Have nothing against SUV’s, but my choice any day would be a sedan. There’s something about the shape - long, symmetric and when the lines are done right, ah, it just flows!

Driving dynamics and comfort add up too.
Old 3rd November 2022, 06:14   #234
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted sedan because I have driven sedans all my life and live them. Now that i have bought a xuv 700,i should see whether my point of view changes. The reason I bought a Xuv 700 was the ease of climbing in and out. I prefer the driving dynamics of a sedan anytime!
Old 31st May 2023, 11:26   #235

I really love sedans, they are comfortable and great to drive. Virtus and Slavia offer great ground clearance, almost as much as some of the crossovers with comparably less body roll. Only problem is the limited options with the sedans, wish we had more buying options in the sedan segment under 20 Lakhs.

Most Viewed