Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Crossover 432 57.14%
Sedan 324 42.86%
Voters: 756. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 22:50   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
The title of the thread needs to be changed. My Creta registration certificate mentions that the Creta is a sedan and so I think that all the crossovers will be classified only as sedans.
That is a typical mistake from the RTO, one which many just ignore. You can spot a few such examples on this old thread -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...an-rc-rto.html (i10 registered as sedan in RC from RTO)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 23:16   #77
BHPian

Voted for Crossover.

I am a perfect example of hatch/sedan person switching over to Cross over. Brought home Creta beginning of this month. I have owned three hatches and two sedans earlier.

Selected Crossover due to comfortable high driving position, visibility and road condition. My earlier ride Honda City served me well without any issues during five plus years, except for scrapping some speed breakers and potholes, which resulted in engine guard coming off a few times. Definitely Crossover provides you more freedom in driving over potholes and speed breakers.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 23:40   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
My Creta registration certificate mentions that the Creta is a sedan and so I think that all the crossovers will be classified only as sedans. Ground clearance and good visibility from the driver's seat are the main reasons that I have voted for crossover sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This must be for the sake of tax slabs as mentioning it as an SUV would attract more tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That is a typical mistake from the RTO, one which many just ignore.
Well, the RC of my Phoenix refers to her as a "Station Wagon" (they ran out of space after "W"). So, take that!

Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?-untitled.jpg

Voted for Crossover, purely for the practical aspect alone. Once I shifted to the Creta from the 2014 Honda City, I was never going back.

If you saved a penny for every pothole, broken patch or uneven section dotting our Indian roads, you would be a millionaire after every completed trip!
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 10:09   #79
BHPian

Neither of them would be my choice today. They just don't make good sedans no more - there simply is no good sedan choice below 20 lakhs that could satisfy all tastes. And these cross overs, how much ever improved or value for money they seem, are at the end of the day, hatchbacks masquerading as SUVs. They can never match the dynamics of a good Sedan/Hatchback.

With more and more cars fighting for the same space on our city roads, I will always lean on extreme ends of the spectrum - a hatchback with a small footprint for city duties, and a proper purpose made SUV/Big Sedan for highway runs and outstation duties.
Old 15th September 2020, 10:43   #80
BHPian

Voted for Crossover. Having driven hatchbacks, sedans all the while, and a bit of crossovers, I know the advantage the crossovers can provide.

A bit of body roll is ok to endure, and the advantages outweighs everything else.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 10:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I prefer sedans. But families like the flexibility, space, height, and the additional GC - no surprise that crossovers like Brezza and Seltos are very popular.

With modern crossover, the gap in the areas of FE and handling have narrowed. Whether it is a City CVT or a Seltos AT, I'd be happy to get 9-10 kmpl in the City. The City might be slightly more efficient on the highway though.
Old 15th September 2020, 10:58   #82
BHPian

Although I own a Verna I voted for crossover.

Atleast in the cars < 30 lakh, there is not a single sedan that excites me. Everything is either too old or too boring.

A Seltos/Harrier/Compass at the high end and a Sonet/Nexon at the lower end seem far more exciting than a Vento or City or even the Octavia ever was.

Add to this the road conditions and I don't think I will buy a sedan short of the S class. I hope a few new launches prove me wrong.
Old 15th September 2020, 11:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Well, the RC of my Phoenix refers to her as a "Station Wagon" (they ran out of space after "W"). So, take that!
Better not to post a photo of your RC in public domain
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:12   #84
BHPian

I cannot vote, but will choose a crossover, always. Having driven a Zen Estilo before, I am used to a straight sitting position. I am sure Wagon R, Ritz, and Santro owners would agree too. The low slung sedan seating does not work for me at all. I have a bad back too, with a slipped disc. Thus, anything low hurts my back. Moreover, a higher GC and better visibility is always welcome. A sedan doesn't cut it for me in any sense. I understand that they may be more fun to drive, but frankly, fun drives are a rarity in cities like Bangalore, unless you are heading out. Also, being a sedate driver, I don't really look for sporty driving dynamics in a vehicle. Thus, we went for a crossover. Perhaps, my next upgrade would be a bigger and better crossover too, if not a proper 4×4.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:14   #85
BHPian

I love driving a Hatchback over Sedan over a Crossover. But last year after I hit a manhole (the manhole was deceptive, it was raised, but the Tar around was tapered and was hard to see in the bright sunlight and I drove right in middle). Fortunately I was driving low speed and the damage was minimum. That's when I realised that Crossovers make most sense in India with their GC. Now I am looking for crossovers that have good handling.
pradeepkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:32   #86
BHPian

Voted for Sedan.

Just because Crossovers haven't matured yet. They haven't had enough time to do so.
Sedans have been manufactured for about a century now. Crossovers are about a decade or two old.

Compare any crossover with the sedan. The sedan is more luxurious, comfortable, better to drive, more feature laden and faster. And at a lesser price, too. Whether buying new or used, crossovers simply loose to sedans at the value for money game every time.

The points where sedans have an advantage over crossovers are more important than the points where crossovers have an advantage over sedans, at least for me.

Let's look at the perceived advantages that crossovers have:

Higher seating position - Road visibility is mostly negated because every other car on the road is a crossover. And when there is a truck or bus in front of you, you get superior visibility by overtaking it, which is much more effortlessly done on a sedan. I never had an ingress/egress problem. And I have a strong back.

Style - C segment. Crossovers win. The Seltos is much better looking than the City.
D segment. Advantage crossovers. The Compass and Harrier look a bit better than the Civic and Octavia.
Luxury segment. Sedans win hands down. Any BMW/Merc/Audi sedan looks way better.

More boot space - I never needed more space than my City's boot. And my Octavia's seats fold down too. Never needed to use it though.

Optional AWD - Yes, but those who really need this would likely buy a true SUV

Speed breaker advantage - True, but overrated. I've scraped my City over almost every speed breaker. It hurts initially, then you get used to hit. And it doesn't really hurt the car. Plus this is easily fixable by removing the front mudguards and using tyres with higher sidewalls. Other sedans have adequate GC.

Other road users give it a little more respect - Nobody gives a Creta/Seltos more respect. Only D segments ones (Harrier/Compass) get respect because of butch look and size.

Easier to sell - Yes, buy why sell a car less than 10 years old? And real doesn't matter after 10 years. But if you're buying used, crossovers will be more expensive.

Superior space management - Only vertically, which is welcome. Horizontally room is always more in a sedan.

In some segments, you will find a more inspiring choice of crossovers than sedans - Unfortunately, true.

3-row seating is available in a few crossovers, but never in a sedan - Yes, but applicable only to those with a large/joint family.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:39   #87
GTB
BHPian

Crossover!
- It checks all boxes for a complete family.
- Parents/Seniors are more comfortable in Ingress/Egress.
- Space
- Ground Clearance for those nasty speedbreakers.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:57   #88
BANNED

Crossovers/True-SUV's is what one will be seeing the trend going towards. Reasons I can think of:
  1. Ground clearance and the psychological advantage it gets over sedans.

2. Easy ingress/egress. Enough said!

3. The airy feeling is much more in crossovers than sedans.

4. Seating position - much more comfortable and preferred in the crossover/SUV by the current generation than what it was earlier. C-segment sedans were on their top a decade back but now, crossovers have taken the lead by a decent margin. Don't think sedans will be back in top soon. With many posts on threads like back pain due to low-slung cars, SUV/crossover negates the issue to a certain extent.

5. Attitude towards Crossovers/SUV's on the road by other road users. The respect commanded is not really possible from a sedan.

6. After one experiences an SUV/crossover for a considerable time (read living with it), returning to sedans is difficult. I can't, I like my current 'pseudo-SUV' car.

7. No need to think much to venture on pothole-filled roads that most of our country has. Just drive bindaas! One hardly slows down for smaller potholes or speed breakers on an SUV/crossover wherein the sedans, peeping around to where the next pothole is.

The only exception of a sedan that I can think of which can be used like an SUV/crossover to a certain extent is Maruti Suzuki SX4. With that 190mm GC, it was the best and tailor-made sedan for our roads.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th September 2020 at 13:18.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:57   #89
BHPian

Voted for Crossover.

I have always preferred the low slung driving position of a sedan as compared to the more upright stance of a crossover. Also, I believe the rear seat space and boot space of a sedan can never be matched by an equivalently priced crossover.

But I might just be a convert in making and my next car is very likely to be a crossover than a sedan. Reasons -

1. Ground clearance (yeah I know.. same old)- One can never underestimate this factor when it comes to car ownership. No matter how many new roads, highways, bridges and flyovers are built in our country, one can always come across a patch that will scare the s**t out of any sedan owner. My FIL owns a 3rd gen pre-facelift City and I have seen him sweat over even harmless looking speedbreakers. I would simply like to avoid that burden every time I take the car out. A crossover in this context would also provide more confidence to venture out on unknown roads without much worry.

2. Crossovers are also getting better- e.g. The new gen Creta reportedly has a good ride and handling. The Nexon has decent rear space as well as boot space for a sub-4m. I found the space management to be better compared to e.g. a Duster which is from a generation before.

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 15th September 2020 at 12:58. Reason: Corrected a typo.
Old 15th September 2020, 13:04   #90
BHPian

Crossover. With good dynamics. It is the most practical solution for everyday driving in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks