Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Crossover 432 57.14%
Sedan 324 42.86%
Voters: 756. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 17:36   #61
BHPian

Re: Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?

Voted for Sedan. Have driven the Duster, Innova and Tavera for 1000 kms each when holidaying with friends. But none of them give the pleasure of driving my 9-year old Linea Tjet. It was a second hand vehicle which I bought two years ago. Driven 16000 kms on it and as I see it, no other vehicle could match the driving dynamics and confidence that the Tjet gives on a highway.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2020 at 18:05. Reason: Typos. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2020, 17:40   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Crossover. I love sedans and believe sedans are classier overall. But crossovers have come a long way. Some are styled very well and look very appealing. They combine the advantages of a sedan and SUV and do away with most of the disadvantages of these vehicles.

In Indian conditions, Crossovers make even more sense. I love my X3 and have made full use of its crossover qualities like high GC and AWD grip (for not only mild offroading but also AWD grip on butter smooth highways). I don't think my X3 suffers any disadvantage when it comes to handling compared to the sedans we owned before. Only area where I find it a bit wanting is back seat comfort. The seats are too upright and bench like and don't pamper the occupant like equally priced sedans do.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 17:48   #63
BHPian

Voted Sedan.

Frankly I have tried and tried and tried again to like a cross over.

I even rented a Creta and drove it around for a week. The closest I came to buying one was the Karoq. But the pricing was off by about 5 lacs in my opinion. Had it been around 25 lacs OTR Mumbai I think it would have been a damn good buy.

But frankly none of the other lower priced crossovers do it for me. Both my sons love sedans and the wife feels that these smaller crossover (8-12 lac bracket) look like hatchbacks on steriods.

So as a family we are happy to zip around in our sedan. Against the current tide of the "SUV craze" ongoing in the indian automobile industry.
F1-Addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:14   #64
BHPian

Don't have permissions to vote i guess, since I am still a newbie even after ~7 years of membership

But if i had the option, I would have voted for crossovers, simply because of the mountain like speed breakers here in Bangalore.

I would definitely not be able to bear my beloved steed getting scraped every other day when I forget to be that extra bit careful. The thought itself brings chills down my spine.
Old 14th September 2020, 18:16   #65
BHPian

I absolutely love to drive sedans over SUVs/crossovers but only when roads are smooth which is not assured at all in our country. So, i have developed liking for SUV/Crossover body style for the following reasons:

1. Ground clearance: you dont need to worry about scraping the underbelly of your car like you do in a sedan even with the full load.

2. AWD/4WD: I love Nature and Adventures so added AWD abilities in a crossover are certainly useful while roaming in rural india/wilderness.

3. Safer for our highways: I have noticed that a lot of heavy vehicles on our roads dont have 'Underride Protection Bars' and we frequently find them standing wrongly on one of the lanes on the highways (sometimes in the fast lane also). So, if we are to crash into one of them in an unfortunate situation, its better to be in a tall and safe vehicle instead of a sedan or a low slung sport car.

All of the above factors offer tremendous peace of mind while on outstation trips as per my experience so i prefer to be in a SUV/Crossover. But, if i was living in the developed worlds where above mentioned issues are non-existent, then give me a fast driver's sedan like vRS/530d anyday.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:30   #66
BHPian

The title of the thread needs to be changed. My Creta registration certificate mentions that the Creta is a sedan and so I think that all the crossovers will be classified only as sedans. Ground clearance and good visibility from the driver's seat are the main reasons that I have voted for crossover sedan
Old 14th September 2020, 18:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Maybe you are comparing from two different segments. An Innova should compete with an Octavia according to the price band for example if longer and bigger is the parameter. + Innova is a body on frame UV and not a crossover.
Yes they are of two different segments, my point was I feel confident driving a vehicle sitting up right and high even though it is a bigger and less manoeuvrable car. I was not comparing driving pleasure of an engine and/or gear box.

And, yes, to confess, I drove a Ritz for 10 years - it has an upright seating. Still, even 5 years back, I was thinking I would buy a sedan when I upgrade. But my liking and opinion changed towards crossover after I started driving these cars occasionally - Ecosport, Innova, Polo and a Corolla - none of those are mine but of family's and relative's back in my hometown. That means all of those I drive once or twice in a year, I figured that I can comfortably drive Ecosport (or even a Innova) in city traffic but always have some anxiety when drive a Polo. Like that slowly my choice changed.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 20:24   #68
BHPian

For me first choice will be a sedan and than a proper body on frame SUV as second car. I don't like jack of all, master of none philosophy which most of these pseudo SUV (crossovers) follow.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:26   #69
srh
BHPian

Voted for crossovers for just one reason - ground clearance. Had it not been for Indian roads, then my preference would have been towards sedans for their handling.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Gosh, this is going to require a lot of thinking. I have traditionally been a sedan guy, but I would pick a Kodiaq over the Superb, a Seltos over any C2-segment sedan on sale and a Jeep Compass over any same-price sedan. The crossover product onslaught has led to a lot of interesting choices.

If it is a German and from the big three, a sedan all the way.
The rest I would pick an SUV/ Crossover.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th September 2020 at 20:45.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

I used to drive a Bolero once, almost a decade ago. At that time I looked down on sedans. But now, I would prefer sedans with higher GC and higher seating position.
Old 14th September 2020, 21:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Voted for sedans for the their inherently good handling! Physics works for you thanks to lower center of gravity. Underbody scraping and ground clearance was never an issue even on bad roads personally in the last 6 years.

But honestly, the choice of good sedans are few and far between. Either they are too expensive ( Passat and above) or too old ( Vento/ Rapid twins)

Last edited by Turbohead : 14th September 2020 at 21:39.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 21:46   #73
BHPian

I’m yet to be eligible for voting as I’m still a newbie, however if I had the option, I’d have voted for crossover.
I recently drove from Pune to Kolkata in my honda city, the car performed flawlessly as long as the road is smooth.
Show it some bad roads and the flaws in the car are too many to ignore.
Even after driving with utmost care, I ended up scrapping the car thrice, the engine guard took quite a hit and came loose, it’s hanging on few screws now.

I’m a not a very fast driver either, So my next car would certainly be a crossover.
Old 14th September 2020, 21:50   #74
BHPian

Voted for Crossover. Apart from the several reasons already mentioned here, would like to add one more :

India is one country where trucks, buses and lot of big commercial vehicles jostle for space on the same lane/road, even in cities. A low slung sedan is not the ideal vehicle to sit in from a visiblity point of view. Often you find yourself jammed between two huge trucks or buses in a traffic jam and with exhausts fuming right at your face.

Also, we have seen enough accidents with sedans completely going under trucks which did not have the low mounted impact bars. So higher crossovers mean safety too when considered from this angle. No crash tests test impact of crash where the car goes under a truck or similar huge vehicle and the maximum impact is at passenger head level.
Old 14th September 2020, 21:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
The title of the thread needs to be changed. My Creta registration certificate mentions that the Creta is a sedan and so I think that all the crossovers will be classified only as sedans.
This must be for the sake of tax slabs as mentioning it as an SUV would attract more tax.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks