Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Crossover 432 57.14%
Sedan 324 42.86%
Voters: 756. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 11:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?

Cross over any day. The sheer convenience offer from higher GC and high seating position is unmatched.

Only reason for a sedan for me would be a specific model. For ex. BMW 330i or the Skoda Octavia, that too only if I have another competent cross over in the garage .
Old 14th September 2020, 11:12   #17
BHPian

Crossover hands down!.

The high visibility is a MUST on our roads where situations change every second. I want to see what is much much ahead of me so that I can anticipate each one's next move.

And the ground clearance. We can be on a butter smooth highway for 500 kms on a sedan without an issue. The last 100 metres to the final destination can ruin the drive on a sedan.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:13   #18
BHPian

One major thing affecting sedan segment especially below 15L price segment is the lack of proper space for 3 people in the rear. We have had lots of people complain how even Honda City which once could accommodate 3 comfortable has lost space at the rear. With all other practical aspects supporting SUV's and crossovers , this single thing if sedans had in its's advantage could have helped at least some respectable numbers.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:17   #19
BHPian

Voted for Cross over. I have been using Sedan for last 15 years. After experiencing crossovers (not mine of course), I can't imagine myself upgrading to another sedan even if there are some advantages. More than me, my family is dead against Sedans! My kids and wife don't want to even talk about Sedans, even if it will be high end and powerful one.

All the pros for the crossovers mentioned in the opening post are the reasons for me to prefer Crossover over a sedan. Ability to handle bad road conditions, higher seating and external styling are the key out of all.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:19   #20
BHPian

A front wheel drive only, higher ground clearance hatchback is not my cup of tea. Not is a low slung sedan in which I feel I am close to the kerb.
The best vehicle imo is a proper SUV with a all wheel drive, low range and drive modes.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the crossover. Recently moved from a compact sedan (Amaze)to CSUV/Crossover Ecosport. The ingress/egress is effortless and the view and respect on the road commanded by Ecosport is much better than the Amaze. Ecosport also has the best of both world's with almost infallible ride & handling balance.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Cross-overs. I love sedans, but firmly believe that they are an impractical body style for the majority of our country and use-cases.

Here are my reasons in support of my preference-
1. Ground Clearance - Often required to navigate unscientific speed-breakers, random potholes, ruts and broken trails.
2. Suspension - Longer travel and beefier components than the sedan or hatch counterparts. This often translates to a better ride quality on broken roads and lesser chinches of suspension damage.
3. Approach & Departure Angles - Again helpful in protecting the bumpers as also in navigating broken roads, ruts and trails.
4. Relatively compact dimensions - Easier to manoeuvre through narrow gullies or take tight turns.
5. Ingress/Egress ease - Given we frequently have family members using the vehicle, cross-overs prove far easier for the older generation to get in and out of.
6. Ease of parking - Usually around a foot shorter and a tad slimmer than the sedans, mean that they can be parked into tighter spaces more easily.
7. Seating position advantage - The higher seating position gives better visibility all around and this is crucial because traffic in our country is very erratic. Moreover, I have found that in Sedans even Low Beams of oncoming cars can get uncomfortable, which isn't as much of an issue with cross-overs.
8. Safety - With the carmakers able to command a better price for cross-overs they are (arguably) able to make the cross-overs with better components and factor in more safety nowadays. This is especially true in the C and D1 segments, but more or less balances out between the two body styles in the higher segments.

My thoughts on some of the perceived disadvantages-
1. Handling - Sedans rule here, but the good crossovers are not too far behind on legal driving speeds. Except only 1 cross-over which I don't want to name, I have generally found cross-overs to handle at acceptable levels at legal speeds.
2. Ride quality - I am one of those who actually prefer a firmer ride, than a willowy, soft ride which would make one want to throw up after a few hours. So, I actually prefer cross-overs in this department, but that's me. Again I have 1 exception to this, but don't want to name it.
3. Aesthetics - Out and out sedan. The 3 box shape has a sort of symmetry that can yield beautiful designs in a way that no 2 box can ever achieve. This is a very personal and subjective opinion.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:32   #23
BHPian

While I broadly agree with the advantages and disadvantages of sedans, SUVs and crossovers called out above, I'd like to answer the question in a different way:

1) The best in each segment is what one should aspire to buy. Best not by sales numbers, but by ride quality, comfort, safety and experience. This is highly subjective.

2) I'd much rather buy the best SUV or crossover over an average sedan, and vice versa. A bad SUV or cross-over won't give you all advantages of the platform, while it will come with all the inherent disadvantages. For 20-21 lacs OTR, I love the Honda Civic for its ride quality, my friend can't stand it. I abhor the i20 Grand, my friend swears by it.

3) I don't understand the fasicination with "features" in India. I'd much rather my car not be a boat with hard plastics all over, than have air purifiers or 10-inch head units with crappy UI/UX. Quality over quantity.

4) I really wish people buy cars that suit their purpose, and not because a platform is the in thing. I have another friend who bought an SUV - all he does / did / will do post lockdown is drive to and back home from office in Mumbai, with the occasional trip to Lonavala. While some of Mumbai driving can be comparable to off-road experience given the quality of our roads, my friend would have been much better off with a top quality sedan for his purpose. I guess the same applies for all purchases - people buy INR 1 lac iPhones to realize that their Google Photos app won't sync in the background.
andafunda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:34   #24
BHPian

Voted for Sedan.

Don't know why, but the SUV/Crossover bug hasn't bitten me yet.

I would any day pick a City over Creta if shopping at that price point. But If shopping around the ₹25-35 Lakh price bracket I would pick a Harrier or Kodiaq if the budget allows me to. And the same me if shopping in the ₹60+ lakh price bracket would go with the E-Class or The 5.

Last edited by kamilharis : 14th September 2020 at 11:36.
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:37   #25
BHPian

Voted for crossover. Not that I have anything against sedans but every time I drive on these roads (or lunar surfaces, to be technical) I find myself wishing I was driving something more rugged with greater ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
Voted:Crossovers
- Road presence: Butch perception, less bullied on highways
And this is a bonus.
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:37   #26
BHPian

I would prefer a sedan or an SUV over a crossover, probably I am still a bit old school (like the dying sedan segment ) with only one exception being the S-Cross. For extended high speeds and twisties, I usually feel a sedan to be way better than a crossover. For rough roads, unexplored paths and slush, a 4x4 low range SUV should be enough. Personally, I did not connect well with crossovers as I did with sedans, barring the S-Cross which considering its handling and ride quality balance alone is far better than its stable-mate. Shame that it doesn't get the much needed differentiation or sales numbers.

On a lighter note, I currently own an SX4. A sedan based on a crossover, so I am enjoying the best of both worlds!
Researcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:39   #27
BHPian

Voted for Sedan. I have come close to picking up a Crossover/SUV twice and then ended up with a D1 segment sedan. D1 Sedans especially in their Petrol avatar offer greater power/ displacement and unmatched handling.

Crossover manufacturers ought to be thankful to the Municipal & road authorities in India for the blazing success and growth of the segment. The condition of our roads/highways, though being an external factor is the single biggest reason this segment has seen this level of success.
Pashin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Crossover (and for me the CSUV or the hatch on stilts or whatever one might call them). It's all about practicality/practicality and practicality. Good ground clearance, ease of ingress and egress, decent driving position and a small footprint makes me vote for a crossover (of the smaller kind).
Old 14th September 2020, 11:41   #29
BHPian

Voted Crossover

If I turn time back by a little over 5 years, I picture myself in a big dilemma as to whether to pick the Rapid DSG AT or the S-Cross, having already paid a booking advance for both cars.

The Rapid has always been a favourite thanks to the classy timeless styling, sturdy build, a superb engine-gearbox combination combined with great driving dynamics.

However, the advantage that a crossover offered was too enticing to ignore. Among other things, here are a few factors that tilted my decision in favour of the S-Cross:

1. Comfortable seating position, neither too low nor abruptly high like you'd find in an SUV. No fatigue on long drives, within or outside the city

2. Hasslefree commutes on almost any kind of road. No holding your breath when you hit a speedbumper or a pothole

3. Easy ingress and egress at the back for my parents. Well, they never complain, but I can see how much of a difference it has made

4. Generally better build compared to Sedans of a similar class/category

And I believe it's no wonder that the likes of Ford, Hyundai, Kia etc. have gradually steered their focus away from C2/D1 sedans to mini-SUVs/crossovers. The present and the future will certainly see the growing popularity and premenance of crossovers.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:47   #30
BHPian

I had leased* a Grand Cherokee 4x4 in the post-Hummer/waning Chevy Trailblazer era. In terms of seating, comfort and tech, it lagged behind the humble camry (which was a couple of model years older), but when it snowed, I never shoveled. I rocked the car back and forth in a foot of snow and was good to go. Even the wipers could plow through an inch of snow. Replace snow with potholes in the Indian context and the go anywhere ability, one can see how the tall SUV/CUV type cars make sense. I drive in urban Bangalore and two turns beyond the paved roads, one can find literal mud tracks. In places I park, other than work/home, it is almost always over construction debris.

* - I got a sweet employee friends & family discount from a VP level Chrysler guy. In retrospect I think I'd have had second thoughts if I were to pay the full sticker price and own (instead of lease).
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks