Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?
I like it 76 13.45%
I'm neutral 100 17.70%
I don't like it 389 68.85%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 20:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?

For some reason, I love it.

Come 2022, I need a car which looks controversial yet futuristic, loaded with gizmos, drive decently and have a feel good factor on them.

Gone are the days of boring and conservative designs and it seems that if you have to have a product differentiator, flashy extravagant design is a way to go. The 2021 Tucson is another one. And the elantra looks 10 years too ahead. But then, it should be visible and stand out in a crowd.

And then you have VW cars...too much of timelessness has made them immortal.

Voted for yes. And the Venue looks pretty funky like a smart cuboid on wheels.
sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 20:40   #17
BHPian

72% of us don't like the new design language of Hyundai..

Hyundai should really re-consider before passing the designs.

Hyundai started by bad designs eg : the first gen Santro, Sonata were pure ugly.
What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-0205_hyundai_sonata_1000x569.jpg

What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-1998hyundaisantro.jpg

Then they improved a little with the Accent

What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-accentglelpg500x500.jpg
It was a neutral design.

Then Hyundai really improved with the designs of Verna and Creta.

But now its going back with the new design language. Literally killed the smart looking Creta, I20, Verna..
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:03   #18
BANNED

Voted negatively.

I don't really like the design of modern Hyundai's (though I loved Hyundai designs before I saw the new Creta).
I am not a fan of the new cascading grilles and
I seriously wish that Hyundai goes back to make classy and elegant cars i.e. Hyundai Accent.
Looks of a car are really important for me and the face of the 2020 Creta was a deal-breaker for me even though
I had been admiring the first generation Creta since the day it was launched.
Old 20th October 2020, 22:13   #19
BHPian

Voted Negative. My only grouse towards the new designs is, they age too early than the others. If not for those oddly placed drl's, chrome strip, they will age immediately. Look at the new Verna,nxcent its already outdated.

Last edited by saisree : 20th October 2020 at 22:16.
Old 20th October 2020, 22:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
But hey, it's working for them. Long live the bling features and the gullible uninformed customer - wouldn't be surprised if these are marketed as "futuristic" designs. Serious safety issues (Brakes) be damned.
Hey that's not only OT but also pretty unnecessary bashing for a brand which has been trying to promote newer technologies to an otherwise not so lucrative market. The braking issues you've mentioned here are yet to occur in the 2nd generation Creta (as long as you're not confusing it with Seltos). Also a question for you- Are all people who buy Hyundai cars uninformed and gullible?. No offense to you personally.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 20th October 2020 at 22:39.
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 23:51   #21
BHPian

While I might be in the category of minorities here but New Creta's styling is the reason itself for opting it over the Seltos (which is in general perceived as a more appealing design). I like the approach by Hyundais over the years. First they streamlined their design language (which was haywire in 90s and 2000s). Then they are adding bit flavour to the character of their design language. The language is such that it keeps you interested and curious all the time. Even for a compact sedan like Aura I find it to be more engaging the neat looking Dzire.
Design language of current Hyundais may not age well with time but for the time it stays in the market it will 'edge well
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-psx_20200917_21341801.jpeg  

Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 01:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Don't like it.

All the front gills look terrible as though they were assorted design sample pieces from a fence netting wire manufacturer.

The futuristic designs don't look cohesive or have a good flow from front to rear. It looks as though both ends follow the same theme but are designed by different people. Side profiles are still decent though.

Overall it looks like there have added sharp edgy bits in various places just for the sake of it though with out of place grill designs patched on.

The new Creta is something else though. I don't think it falls in the "futuristic" design category. It's just plain fugly and would even go so far as to say that anyone who thinks it's a GOOD design (not those who find it acceptable or overlookable due to the overall package) have poor taste. I'm saying this after just having a look at one up close this evening so it's fresh in my mind.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Dont Like It. I personally find their design language to have been deteriorating for the last couple of years, and each of their models have too many cuts, creases, swoops and so forth. I personally have always been biased towards clean, Euro design languages and something so diametrically opposite does not appeal to me at all. The new Creta is a real low point for them, as far as I am concerned. Many people love such busy designs, and good for them, but I simply cannot live with such designs.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd October 2020 at 13:24. Reason: Typos
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:39   #24
BHPian

Well, I have never liked Hyundai's design language. It was always too busy. Just too many lines, trying hard and not really bold. The confidence they gathered from their sales and success has propagated, fedback into their design. For the first time, it's bold. That is something I like. Though the too many cuts and creases aren't really my thing, I still prefer it over previous designs that didn't really ooze confidence.
Old 21st October 2020, 08:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has gotten a heavy beating for design since day 1, I really do not understand why, it's almost as if people want a reason to slam the brand. When they were into the fluidic design, people called it overdone, busy etc, now with flatter lines and sportier panels its still called overdone.

In this thread, I'll keep it to only design, not factors such as safety, durability, build quality etc - plenty of threads running on those already.

When the Santro ZipDrive came, it presented a more convenient, spacious and safe(r) entry-level alternative to the Maruti 800, people zinged it for its oddball proportions, the Xing was perhaps the most beautiful car of its time in its segment, people still zinged it.

The fluidic design was a game-changer, it brought high-end design at lower pricing, the Verna, the Elantra etc literally hit it out of the park those days. Yes the Eon was overdone but is it much worse than the S-Presso? Not to me.

Then there is the timeless-brigade, I never understood what timeless is, the Punto looks old today, as does my friend's first-gen Vento, in fact they always looked old. People are praising the first-gen Hyundai Accent, so I see a trend here - am I to assume that squared off, unimaginative, flat-lined cars are what people call "timeless"?

I've always liked adventurous designs, I prefer the Maserati or Jaguar design to almost anything the big 3 have produced, the Punto Evo was a big step up from the old Punto and I even liked the old Laura, before it became the boxy and boring Octavia, I liked the Old Jetta before it became a bigger, boxier Vento.

I think each design is to be looked at more carefully than people do, all cars age irrespective of design.. while there is surely such a thing as over-designed, I think that is relegated to only some brands like Lexus and BMWs of today, but people do not critique them just because they're well-established luxury brands. There also have been disasters made before, and all the brands in the list make beautiful cars today :

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/10-ug...ars-ever-made/

Hyundai designs are definitely worse off than before, I admit it, the Verna is ruined, the Aura is a disaster, the Elite i20 is sort-of ruined by the new one and the worst of all is the latest Santro, but are they much worse than the immediate competition? Don't think so. The new Creta to me has been a game-changer and as I've said before, I hated the old Creta because of its unimaginative boxy design, the new one is leagues ahead in comparison.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st October 2020 at 09:00.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:58   #26
BHPian

I voted for I'm neutral.

There are certain pros and cons in the design according to me, while some cars have been given a very futuristic look , say the Elantra for example some cars look plain bad.

The cars that look Good in Hyundai's new design are according to me , The Aura, The Creta , The Verna and the Elantra

Look Ok would be The Venue

Look Bad is the Santro and the Grand i10 Nios

Personally KIA has better designs, I like the luxurious minivan in the form of the Carnival and the Sonet the most .
AKSen2015 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:03   #27
SS4
BHPian

I don't like the new design language at all.

My neighbors own the Aura, Creta, Santro and the design language doesn't seem to grow on me. I'm sure these new cars are better under the skin, but the exterior looks matter. It's simply hideous in my opinion.
Old 21st October 2020, 11:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Even though I am the owner of a brand new Creta, I still voted Neutral on the looks. My observation is that there is a distinct play on the colour of the car based on the radical cuts and curves. The Creta of each colour type (to me) shows different characteristics.

I loved what they have done on the new Tucson.Someone in the Hyundai studio clearly loves machines.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 12:16   #29
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

NO and that is a big NO !

I hate it when I am stuck in traffic these days. Typically the car in front of me happens to be the new Creta, the car behind me happens to be an Aura. I look up towards the sky, I see posters of the new Creta. I reach my apartment complex, I notice that my neighbour has bought a brand new Creta. I reach my workplace, and I notice that suddenly half of my office folks have moved from their Dzire and Amaze to Sonet / Venue / New Creta / Seltos.

That is when I realise, there is no running away from this design language. People love it, my friends and people in my extended family have paid to buy ugly Hyundai cars and are waiting for deliveries.

I had almost started to realise that there is something wrong with my taste, probably I am too old in my school of thought to absorb the radical changes in the design language of Hyundai cars.

That is when this thread pops up and I heave a sigh of relief !

I am glad I am not alone. More than 60% of the members feel the same way I do.

Last edited by //M : 21st October 2020 at 12:18.
//M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 22:57   #30
BHPian

Had penned down my views some time back. I believe something which is already wonderful shouldn't be touched. Fluidic design language was impressive and now the design language is not something to talk about for Hyundai.

http://www.speedhounds.com/2020/07/i...nks-otherwise/
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks