Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?
I like it 76 13.45%
I'm neutral 100 17.70%
I don't like it 389 68.85%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:56   #46
BHPian

Re: What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?

Couldn't vote. But I would say that I was "don't like it when launched", but now after seeing in the showroom I am "Neutral".

If you go in the past, even Santro's tall boy design was kind of awkward when launched in India and later everyone knows how this model was a smashing hit for decades.
I think this new design of Creta 2020 will grow on once you see many Cretas on road. Surprisingly, I don't see many on Bangalore roads yet.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:07   #47
Mik
BHPian

Voted: Yes

But, this is more of a moral encouragement yes rather than a thrilling Yes!
Hyundai designs are not timeless. They have a limited shelf life where they look good/flashy for sometime and within three years, the company takes a time-leap and they appear antiquated. Just look at the 4 different designs of the Verna that have been sold in the last 10 years.
However, I do appreciate them for pushing the envelope and trying out new things. Not every car needs to be a clean-cut European design. You need a front-end like Creta to nudge design a bit further into the future. That backend is the weirder than some of our jugaad three-wheelers though!
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:12   #48
BHPian

Voted : Yes

Especially the 2021 Hyundai Tucson. I like the front look.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-513f24ff912543df8d42bbeb7cdb44d6.jpeg  

virajmore03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:22   #49
BHPian

Ridiculous Ridiculous Ridiculous!

I cant type anything more.

NB : At the same time it's KIA sibling is coming up with excellent designs.

Last edited by kamilharis : 22nd October 2020 at 11:24.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:30   #50
BHPian

Got to agree that Hyuidai has departed from good elegant designs they had in their previous generation cars. The previous gen Elantra is a still a looker and even their SUVs like Tucson and Santa Fe had some good styling and proportions. The issue with the new gen cars is that they are simply over designed and the obsession for LEDs and DRLs continues that they end up putting them literally everywhere in the process. They really need a strong design philosophy/language and it can only come from the best designers in the business. While one could argue that over designed cars still sell in the main stream markets, we have got to consider that the premium lineup needs better aesthetics to appeal to that segment especially when some one is putting down 15 or 20 + Lacs.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:30   #51
BHPian

Voted No.

But I guess if the options had the below, it would be more apt:
I don't like Creta design and new i20 rear, neutral about others, you would get maximum votes.

The problem with over designed cars is that they often don't age well. The designs look too busy and confused often.
I am a fan of straight creases of VW cars.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:39   #52
BHPian

Personally I feel Hyundai is using a Shock and Awe strategy. The first look is shock and maybe repulsion. I remember the first Santro looked liked an insect and then it grows on you. Soon you find that the car is better than it looks. Slowly the dislike becomes awe of the package and slowly when you see more and more of them around it becomes the new normal but the bar has been subtly raised higher.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:40   #53
BHPian

Voted a big No.
I own the elite i20 and a major factor in its purchase was the looks. This new iteration is just whack. The elite i20 tail light always stood out in a good way. This one will stand out in a very different way. Reminds me of some elements from the Honda Brio rear that I always disliked .
The new Creta seems over designed. Sometimes going simple makes things more beautiful. Why does Hyundai not try creating an evolutionary legacy in their design? They keep tinkering away in different directions every time they have an update. There is no clear path in the design language. Hyundai need to go back to their fluidic design and evolve from there.

Last edited by chittybang : 22nd October 2020 at 11:40. Reason: spellcheck
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:50   #54
BHPian

I genuinely don't like the new Hyundai design language at all. I don't mean to disrespect anyone who currently owns one or who might want to. The quality of the cars has definitely gone up. However, the design philosophy must be something which is confusing even for the designers at Hyundai. Take the example of the new Santro. The car is such an eyesore compared to the love it or hate it, design of the car it replaced. The other day I saw a white one with that huge black grille and the headlamps on the corners looked absolutely hideous. I was thinking to myself why anyone would feel good about that design but it looks like the new design language miraculously works for Hyundai and keeps their boat afloat.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:52   #55
BHPian

The Hyundai design has a major problem (which exists somewhat in other brands as well):
some of the signature design elements meant for their bigger offerings donot sit well at all with their smaller offerings.

For example, the grill design for the new Santro is plain pathetic even though the idea may work for their SUV or international sedans.

They completely spoiled the Creta and the now forthcoming i-20 with their new design philosophy, even though the elements may sit well with the Tucson or the i-30.

Now, whether this is because they design their big cars better or their smaller cars worse is a matter of discussion.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:56   #56
BHPian

Contrary to majority of the opinions, I am someone who's simply in love with the new Hyundai design language. The 2020 Creta looks astonishing to me with its sharp-cut lines and chiseled body panels. The three-part tail-lamp design is an absolutely futuristic touch; not to mention that Hyundai interiors have always been some of the nicest places to be.

Save for the Aura which has a rather absurd derrière, I even like the styling on the Nios and the upcoming i20. Hyundai seems to be charging ahead into the future with its sporty-styled cars, which are now matching its new powertrain strategy too. However, I would still be a fence sitter before plonking my money on one, given the unwarranted niggles that are cropping up in their newer cars.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:05   #57
BHPian

Don't like it! In general Hyundai's new designs are tasteless and do not gel with the form of the rest of the car. I was a big fan of the earlier Creta, and i20's looks. For me those were getting close to timeless classic looks of the best European beauties. But the new cheek-to-cheek gaping mouth design reminds me of sea creatures. And not in a good way. To me, their grilles also seem like a stylized version of Royal Dutch Shell's famous logo.

What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-hyundai-grille.png
Miel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:07   #58
BHPian

Voted No.

No offense to any current Hyundai owners, but I just cannot stand this new design language from Hyundai. They have successfully managed to mess up the Creta in the looks department in its second generation, which was such a handsome car in its first generation. The front looks hideous and rear appalling. Same is the case with the Venue too, although its rear isn't that bad.
The new i20 also sucks when it comes to looks, especially the rear.

Also, I simply don't understand this new fad of moving the headlights to the bumper - Creta, Venue, Palisade - all have them. Looks terrible imho.

Last edited by anshu1101 : 22nd October 2020 at 12:11.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:07   #59
BHPian

I think the design will evolve in to something great. They can use some feedback though.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:16   #60
BHPian

Voted a big No.
Hyundai cars used to be good looking. But not anymore.
Especially the new Hyundai Creta. Out of all the words in English dictionary, I could find only one word to describe the ugliness of new Creta, which is ‘Excreta’.
And the rear end of Hyundai Aura. Need no more words.
The 2021 Tucson looks just like Mercedes Benz EQC in the front.
I am so glad I am not the only one who hates new Hyundai cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks