Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Indian Classic would you own today?
Hindustan Ambassador 46 10.36%
Hindustan Contessa 162 36.49%
Maruti 800 31 6.98%
Maruti Gypsy 140 31.53%
Premier Padmini 24 5.41%
Premier 118NE 16 3.60%
Sipani Dolphin 4 0.90%
Standard 2000 13 2.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.80%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 13:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?

I would avoid the Ambassador in this day and age. Rust is a big issue as are the brakes and parts availability for the one desirable version (1800 ISZ) is never great in Kerala as all are almost diesel.

I would select others and go for the Tata Estate (I know, when did you see one right). I know its slow, biblically unreliable when it was launched yes. But now since most of the parts, relays, electrics are common with the Sumo, spare parts availability shouldn't be a problem. Always had a soft spot for this car and wanted to own one (no Sierra, as I want 4 doors).

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2020 at 19:11. Reason: Typos, grammar, fixed. Spell-check.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 13:48   #47
BHPian

One word: Gypsy.

I still drool over one when I see her on the roads. Drove many of them owned by my friends back home in Shillong. With terrific mod potentials, one day I am sure to purchase a Gypsy and live my dream.

I am also a sucker for shiny black Amby Mark I, II and III. Ever seen one maintained with maroon/wine leather seats and white walled tyres? It's a sight to fall for.
Old 29th October 2020, 14:09   #48
BHPian

118NE for me. My father bought Padmini economy edition in 87 and in 95 replaced it with a NE. We had NE till 2003 and it was super comfortable for long journeys. Never gave us any problem. I still miss it so much that I keep looking for one on OLX. So far haven’t got any good one.
Old 29th October 2020, 14:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for the Ambassador. It is one of my bucket list items to buy an Ambassador, restore it ground up, plonk in the 1.8 ISZ block and paint it in black with light green tints.

The second choice is a toss the coin decision between Contessa and Premier Padmini.

--Anoop
Old 29th October 2020, 14:28   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat 1100 as in my DP is what I own.
Old 29th October 2020, 14:52   #51
BHPian

Oh the Ambassador all the way! The family and I took one for a 4000 kilometer drive in the early 90s. Rajasthan, parts of Maharashtra, Gujarat and MP. The back seat belongs in airline business class. The Isuzu engine gave it sufficient power. And of course the car was built to go to war with. We got stuck in a flood on our way back, near Jungadh. The car safely crossed stretches which only other trucks were daring. From Porbandar to Veraval stretch (a night drive with a broken headlight - we were delayed due to a small accident) the same flood-causing tropical cyclone was gushing heavy waves on to the road. In pouring rain, our driver Shambhu ji and his Ambassador were such an incredible source of comfort. Those were simpler days too though. A family was happy taking shelter in one of the only dhabas we could find open (not that many were to be found any way) and we literally slept on the floor with the workers and the staff (with mum and my sis finding refuge in those ever comfortable seats of the Amby).

Too many incredible memories for me to pick another car.
Old 29th October 2020, 15:42   #52
BHPian

My vote is for the humble old Maruti Suzuki 800 simply 'coz I believe it will be far easier and cheaper to source spares for a discontinued but extremely popular Suzuki than any other make. More so considering the friendly MGP, SGP sources and the comparatively trustworthy service network. We actually have a sparingly used carburetted M800 from late 2000 at my ancestral place used for city errands. I am hoping to get it some day soon and start the work!
I find the following 800 rather inspirational, disregarding those oversized wheels.

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-800.png

If there was a second choice provided, I would select the Hindustan Ambassador. But, for me the dream Amby of preference would be the last of the modern Isuzu 1.8 MPFI examples, with late 2000s interiors, power steering, power windows, AC, etc. but with exterior looks altered to that of the Hindustan Landmaster or Amabassador Mark 1, and painted premium black, silver, or grey . However, this will need the services of a capable FNG and a skilled body shop, not to mention Vitamin M and dedicated time.

Name:  amby.png
Views: 807
Size:  702.4 KB
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 15:45   #53
BHPian

This was well in those times when i was in my early teens!!. I remember learning the ropes of driving back then in a Mahindra Jeep.

Back to the poll, i am glad to have driven during the 80s:-

1. Amby 2. Fiat 3. Gypsy 4. 118 NE.

I was unlucky not to get a chance to drive the Conty.

Sipani and Std 2000 was something i saw only in the print ads back then .

So.. Based on my experience, I still love the old style Vintage Mahindra Jeeps of the 80's with the spare wheel on the side. The new Thar '2020 would be amazed at how far it has come!
Old 29th October 2020, 16:00   #54
BHPian

I voted for Contessa!

Born in 1980's, to me Contessa was always a rich man's car Last week I saw a beautifully maintained black Ambassador and I had to pick my Jaws from the floor after some time. It was so awesome.

Premier 118, my school principal had a White Premier and I still cherish the days when I see the car leaving the school ground!!

If time permitted, I wish to restore a Contessa and an Ambassador. I would be awesome to have both in the garage.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:12   #55
BHPian

Gypsy for me! Just being practical here.

It turns heads like no other, is super-reliable and can go anywhere.

We still own a 25 year old 800, so it doesn't entice me. I would hesitate to touch the cars from HM and PAL stable- family has owned them all and we how how unreliable they are. Sipani always screamed Cheap and 'Toyish', and I haven't heard anything really good about the Standard.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Worst classic will probably be the Standard 2000 with its Standard Vanguard derived gas guzzling powertrain and consistently unrelaible electrics. Just epitomised the idiom "all - show - and - no - go".
Close second will be the 118NE. Wonderful powertrain and the creamiest of gearbox; let down by a body so prone to rust and corrosion that people used to go slowly around bends lest things break - off
And it did. In our 118NE. In Calcutta: while taking a right hander, the car leaned on its left , there was an almightly clanging noise and the entire lower control arm popped out from the inner-body mounting! E'nuff said!
I have narrated this story here before, but everytime I see a 2000 mentioned, I start to laugh uncontrollably.

My dad (who had an amazing knack for picking up lemons) booked this proudly, one of the first in his company (and in 1986 types) possibly the only such car in like a 2 sq km area of Gopalapuram Chennai. I think it set him back an eye watering Rs 2,20,000 or something close to it.

First drive was a drive to Bangalore from where we had to catch a train to Sringeri. Car had an inbuilt cassette player, an AC, power windows and as a 6 year old it was all super exciting....till we had to fuel up 2 times enroute.

The damned thing gave a mileage of 4 kmpl on a bad day and a max of 6 kmpl on a very good day! The QC team must have taken off the day this car was made also he would say, within 6 months the power windows stopped working, it rattled like a pair of skeletons dancing on a tin roof.

He retained it for 3 years but the car had done only 10k kms totally, he preferred his Fiat and later the Maruti Van to this obscene fuel guzzler.

In my family if anyone is making an impulse or a bad purchase we still use "don't do a standard" and my dad would turn all different shades of purple in embarrassment.

I do wonder though why you say it was sluggish, dad said it was like a rocket.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 16:29   #57
BHPian

Even though the Contessa looks butch, I would go for the Amby. This had been a no- nonsense car of the time and was known for its "take me anywhere" attitude. No other car I believe, had the inherent capacity to accommodate the sheer number of occupants that it could.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

For me it is between the Contessa and Standard 2000. Both are quick cars and handle well. If they were built properly, unlike what happened with British Leyland in the 70's and 80's, they would have been world beaters.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:37   #59
BHPian

Voted for Gypsy!

It has been a crush since childhood, simple mechanicals, utilitarian interiors, 4x4 go anywhere ability and the lure of wind in the hair in a open/soft top. I got to rent one and visit Kaza Himachal Pradesh last year with Shibu Sir (Jeep Captain) and La Himalaya. It was a great experience driving the mountain goat in places it truly belongs. I'd would love to one someday, restore it nicely put a simple bikini soft top and go camping in off beat places with friends.

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-109739078_2670364323179898_1235928650027597760_o.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2020 at 19:11. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:45   #60
BHPian

Already Own a Gypsy King.

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-img_20190622_104444-1.jpg

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-img_20190928_130051.jpg

Other than that from the 90's want to own a niggle free version of the Premier 118 NE - The Pal Peugeot Viceroy & would
love to buy back my Peugeot 309 GLD, the ongoing frantic search for which is yet to yield any result though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks