Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Ventilated Seats, no more a luxury in India!

Can someone please give us a list of cars with VS on offer today? I mean the exact variants with price. It will be very helpful. Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:04   #32
BHPian

In Bangalore, I have not really felt the need for ventilated seats almost ever. But even in Bangalore, for two months a year the temperature can compete with Chennai or Delhi!. The leather seats can roast people if the car has been parked for a while in the open.

So it is no more a luxury, but a necessity .

In its absence, you can manage with seat beads .
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:13   #33
BHPian

I think there should be a poll on this.

I personally belive that it should be standard for the driver atleast considering our climate. They are really a boon. But then tge enture secondary market of seat covers might take a hit. Even manufacturers provide them in the accesory department
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

I can see the case for VS! Yes, I've experienced sweaty backs but honestly I really don't care much! But now that OP had put forward his case, I'll whole-heartedly support him.

VS is infinitely more useful feature than that useless sunroof which people keep mooning about! This is a real feature that will tend to be used everyday in hot and humid India!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

I'll go against the grain here. The real problem with sub 20L cars is that people demand that they have leather seats. Now proper expensive leather is going to cost way too much so manufacturers put in cheaper substitutes. And then you have a sweaty back/bum problem for which you need ventilated seats.

All of this wouldn't be an issue if we just got fabric seats in top end models. The only advantages of leather/art leather is that they are easier to clean and look better. But in terms of seating comfort and temperature regulation, fabric seats are way better!

Maybe some smart marketing chap is going to launch a top variant with "naturally ventilated seats" and give us fabric seat covers.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Having experienced ventilated seats once, I liked the feature for sure. But when I bought the car (which doesn't have VS), I must say I haven't missed it till date. I must attribute this to the OE fabric seat covers which came with the car (along with a good AC system).
OT: I still miss ACC in my car as I have to keep changing the temperature controls frequently.
It should be true. I have the ventilated front seats in my Verna, and hardly do I use it. It has never appeared to be an essential, even though I have come through two northern Indian summers with this car. Last year in May I did drive all the way to Hyderabad and even then it did not appear a "must have". It is "good to have", but beyond that, a good ACC will do the work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Its definitely borderline a must have feature on cars nowadays. Even with a bone chilling AC, on a hot sunny day your back and/or bum might still be wet, even on a fabric seat. It's even worse with artificial or leather seats.
Of course this option would only work well on non fabric seats but still.

I'm seriously considering a retrofit ventilated seat kit from AliExpress.
I don't agree with this entirely, but it makes sense to have ventilated seats especially if you have parked the car in the open in a summer lunch hour and have to get into it and drive. The heat the leather seats can gather is unbearable. So, this can come of help, but again for a short while.

It is my opinion again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
While the VS would definitely be a welcome offering, for some reason, I did not look at it as a main feature when I was shopping for a new car. I booked the XUV300 2 weeks ago, and the Sonet was doing the rounds by then.
Yes, it would not be that urgent a feature. Even sunroof, which has a fetish, loses the initial enthusiasm from everyone and gets limited in use to drives in some special weather and geographic conditions. For an enthusiast who loves to hear the engine notes while driving, even a music system is not an essential.

To a great extent, considerations of features are subjective too.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:54   #37
BHPian

I don't think ventilated seats are a necessity. A good car air conditioner won't need you to feel comfortable using vents on the seat. They are an added complexity and as someone pointed out, they reduce the airflow to the back. If you keep sweating after 5 to 10 min of getting into a car, it means the aircon is not designed for India. Ventilated seats won't help.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post

The concept of Ventilated seats may be new now but in years to come we will be talking about it the same way as we did about the optional AC fitments on the cars of 80's and 90's.
Thanks for bringing up a very good topic!

I bought Sonet in September. Initially I finalized the HTX model. But when I saw VS on higher trims, without thinking much I booked the higher trim just for VS. That's a separate story I got many other features also because of higher trim.

I experienced it in one of my trip abroad. Its a must have feature in India. And you have rightly said that it is more important than a Sunroof which is rarely used in Indian weather conditions and pollution here.

One of my friend told me that “If you use VS feature once in your life time, you will not be able to let it go ever in all your future cars” And now I fully agree to him.

Cheers!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd November 2020 at 22:34. Reason: Trimmed quote and corrected typos.
Navsangeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:56   #39
BHPian

I have a Figo 2015 which comes with excellent fabric seats. Also I am of the nature to bear summer easier than winter. In my car I’ve never felt the need for any seat cover or ventilated seats.

I had once experienced VS in a colleagues car. It was magical, “why didn’t anyone think of this earlier” thought came to my mind. I absolutely agree that VS is a must for non fabric seat.

Has anyone seen VS in a fabric seats? Is it a thing?
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

This is the strangest objection to ventilated seats I have seen but as far as I can see, it is not a far fetched thing at all. Sounds quite plausible.

"What if you are seated in a ventilated seat and you pass gas? The smell will be blown around the car by the fans in the seat"

Moral of the story - don't consume garlic thepla before you drive

https://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldp..._the_smell_of/
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Has anyone seen VS in a fabric seats? Is it a thing?
My car (A5 Sportback) did not had an option for ventilated seats if going for leather. VS was available for fabric seats.

I tried out VS recently when I had the GLS for a month. VS with massage function just after a gym/sports session was a bliss. It should be provided as an option at least on all cars.

I am not in support of aftermarket fitment of cooling or heating seats. Can’t trust them to be safe unless they are from a very reputable brand and also, can mess up the seat ergonomics. Not worth the risk.
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:32   #42
SRM
BHPian

A very useful feature in my current Verna, definitely has become one of the must-haves going forward! A real useful option in our part of the world.
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:22   #43
BHPian

An absolute must have feature in a car for me. After safety features and advanced driving aids like collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control, this is the most important feature for me. I love them on my Passat and use them almost all year. There are a lot of misconceptions. They don’t take any extra space. The fans are very mild. You can barely feel them but slowly but surely they cool your back and bottom.
Old 6th December 2020, 14:05   #44
BHPian

Once you use this feature, you cannot live without it! And for the record, I say this with the brutal North Indian summer bias. It's a shame more cars do not have it but wail not!
I got this off aliexpress.com, when it was not banned in India. Cost me Rs. 2700 with shipping. I am using it on my 2009 Jazz.
I can assure you it works very well. The air pressure is strong to be felt even at the upper back. The fan is situated in between your legs. It will suck in cool air from the foot well at high or low speeds as per your selection on the wired remote.
I used to have another seat accessory which was a massager and heater. That now sits on the passenger seat. Time for a swap as tis the season for heating and not cool air blowing up your cold bum!
Attached Thumbnails
Ventilated Seats, no more a luxury in India!-screenshot_20201206140054.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 6th December 2020 at 14:13. Reason: Added more text
lemedico is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 17:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have experienced this only once during the KIA Sonet test drive and I fell in love with it. IMHO this is worth much more than the automatic headlights, wipers, connected car features etc.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks