Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you keep a beater car?
Yes 454 80.93%
No 107 19.07%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 14:37   #121
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : The cheap beater car

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Your requirements scream out EV. Unfortunately, you might not find a suitable one in the market but if there ever was an ideal use case for a Reva, yours has to be it!
you might be right here. As you mentioned, it might be harder to get a hold of options that might be usable for another 4-5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
You have most of the things sorted but when you said "good suspension" the Tiago trumps its competitors.
The only hitch is the AMT and across brands, I would recommend a MT but if you want to try your luck with an AMT that's your call.
Even I would prefer to avoid an AMT. Ideally I would prefer a NA engine + TC/CVT transmission combination (currently have a turbo + DCT combo and dont want to add another risk element here). But budget for the used car is around 4Lacs. Budget permitted, my preferences would be:
1) Honda Jazz - CVT
2) VW Polo but with 1.2L engine + TC (if I am not wrong, before VW Polo completely went for 1.0 TSI engine, they had 1.2 NA engine with TC transmission on offer).

But dont know anyone in my network who is selling Honda Jazz or VW Polo automatic versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Outside of the Tiago, some used options to consider :
- Ignis
- Swift
- i10 : you can try to find the AT it used to come with but be wary of poor FE
Not worried about FE. As long as it is above 7/8KMPL (anything below means there is likely some engine problem). Any recommendations on where I should look out for these options? Already exploring on TeamBhp classifieds and Spinny. Want to avoid dealers and OLX.
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 16:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : The cheap beater car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Any recommendations on where I should look out for these options?
Sadly can't help much but would advise to expand your search to other providers like Cars24, Maruti TrueValue, Mahindra FirstChoice to begin with. Being in Delhi you should get a lot of options which I don't in a T2 location.
A search on Cars24 for Delhi and automatic does return some results in your price range. Try that out too. Try to get a car with a 6 months warranty which is available on some cars with FirstChoice or TrueValue.

If you have to try your luck with an AMT, usually Maruti and Hyundai AMTs have better reports but the AMT properties and headnod in traffic will be there.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:06   #123

Re: Cheap beater car (Yes / No); Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
.[*]Used EVs (such as that of Bhpian SS-Traveller) seem interesting but there are charging limitations in our society. However not dismissing such options [*].
I still think that your best option would be a used EV or you could just go for a base Tiago EV if you can put some other use to it. Because I think it will be worth it In the long run. If you’re not willing to spend more than 4 L at all then the 2 options are used E2O, (which isn’t everyone’s cup of tea considering it’s size and suspension) and a Used e-Verito which go for around 3-4L it’s a decent enough car for the city. I personally don’t like the way it looks but, might be suitable for your particular use case.
If EV is not to your liking. You can look for a used WagonR or a Used i10 since you’re not a fan of the altos suspension. Owning a compass would mean that you would probably not prefer a low riding hatch so it’s better to look at a WagonR or a Suzuki Spresso used. You can also look for a TATA nano, but wouldn’t call it a beater car 😅. A decent automatic with decent suspension in your budget would be a Kwid AMT or a Celerio AMT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks