Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2021, 12:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2luvroads View Post
In this dilema still I'm deciding to own one. Keeping my fingers crossed as the...
I read your post in the XUV700 thread that you haven't had a chance to feel and interact with the Alturas as the vehicle is not available even in Culcutta. The car is so appealing, especially for those who are more interested in materials, textures and color palette over electronics and other gizmos. The interior is in fact better than the Mercedes GLA. Very subtle and very elegant, with no bling factor.

That said, I advise you not to go for the Alturas.
- the Alturas was not in the picture because the supreme reign of the 2 4x4 SUVs in the market
- the abrupt pullout of the Americans has opened new avenues for the local supreme leaders
- ignore what the SA is saying; Mahindra would have sensed the opportunity and re-re-launched the Alturas for this festival season with immediate delivery of their inventory. Standing in for the place of the big Ford would have created a sustained figure of 500-800 vehicles per month too.
- but Mahindra is not associated with the Koreans anymore; they already have "multi-baggers" in their portfolio. This surrogate son is an alien for them now and they don't want / need to present in as their flagship anymore
- so the emerging picture is, it is time to say goodbye to the big Korean SUV
sandeepmdas is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 13:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I read your post in the XUV700 thread that you haven't had a chance to feel and interact with the Alturas as the vehicle is not available even in Culcutta. The car is so appealing, especially for those who are more interested in materials, textures and color palette over electronics and other gizmos. The interior is in fact better than the Mercedes GLA. Very subtle and very elegant, with no bling factor.

That said, I advise you not to go for the Alturas.
- the Alturas was not in the picture because the supreme reign of the 2 4x4 SUVs in the market
- the abrupt pullout of the Americans has opened new avenues for the local supreme leaders
- ignore what the SA is saying; Mahindra would have sensed the opportunity and re-re-launched the Alturas for this festival season with immediate delivery of their inventory. Standing in for the place of the big Ford would have created a sustained figure of 500-800 vehicles per month too.
- but Mahindra is not associated with the Koreans anymore; they already have "multi-baggers" in their portfolio. This surrogate son is an alien for them now and they don't want / need to present in as their flagship anymore
- so the emerging picture is, it is time to say goodbye to the big Korean SUV
Thanks a lot for your advice, what I think is getting an Alturas now is equivalent to play high risk gamble.
T2luvroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:19   #33

Alturas is going to get a facelift.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/exclusive-202...oon-with-adas/
Old 11th February 2022, 22:04   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Alturas is going to get a facelift.
I have a few doubts regarding the facelift (and this article by GaadiWaadi)

0 factory dispatches for the Alturas G4 last month, either indicates that Mahindra has exhausted all kits for it's CKD assembly and it has been discontinued

Or

They are considering to bring the facelift, but if Ssangyong has been sold by Mahindra, how are they going to get kits for the CKD assembly of the facelift?

And even if the facelift somehow comes to the Indian market, will anyone prefer it over a XUV7OO?

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th February 2022 at 22:12.
Old 6th June 2022, 08:24   #35
BHPian

A few days back, I was casually checking out Mahindra's website. I saw the 2WD version of the Alturas G4 priced at 21.01 lakh!!!!
I immediately clicked to book, but the link would allow me to book only the 4WD version, priced at Rs. 31.88 lakhs.
I contacted Mahindra customer care immediately via the chat function to enquire about the same. The sales rep told me that this was indeed an offer until the end of May or till stock lasted, in order to clear existing stock of 2WD.
I am still in shock, having missed such pricing for a humongous SUV.I hope Mahindra will have some stock of 4WD as well, which they will clear before the "big daddy" launch.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
A few days back, I was casually checking out Mahindra's website. I saw the 2WD version of the Alturas G4 priced at 21.01 lakh!!!!
I too checked about availability in BLR. Trying to see if any dealers are having any stocks left. No offer on the 4WD though, it touches 40L on road in BLR
Old 6th June 2022, 10:43   #37
BHPian

Alturas just over took MG Gloster for month of may 2022.

Fortuner : 1184 units.
Alturas : 90 units.
MG Gloster : 51 units.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Alturas just over took MG Gloster for month of may 2022.

Fortuner : 1184 units.
Alturas : 90 units.
MG Gloster : 51 units.
Does it mean that it is still a viable option in the second hand market?
Old 3rd July 2022, 13:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

From the information available from my sales consultant at Sireesh, there are some Alturas G4 still in stock. And they are available to buy. Some discounts are also possible to negotiate.

That Alturas is an excellent vehicle, it was just not marketed properly.
Old 12th July 2022, 11:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Is this any facelift or the current gen itself? Wrapped with some covers though. A friend clicked.

Name:  2C141D51D719441180C750C4B0F2B3DF.jpeg
Views: 230
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  F760503540994F1CB14F291C10297353.jpeg
Views: 230
Size:  130.2 KB

Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021-fcb437306e0c4189a95472eccd5899ec.jpeg
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 11:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is this any facelift or the current gen itself? Wrapped with some covers though. A friend clicked.

It is a current generation delivery piece in all likelihood. Most VAG cars also come wrapped in this sort of protective white film before delivery, and they remove it during PDI. A facelift/test mule would not expose the badge at the rear, I would think.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 21:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
]

And even if the facelift somehow comes to the Indian market, will anyone prefer it over a XUV7OO?

I had the opportunity to test drive the Alturas last week after I went to experience the Scorpio-N. I also test drove the Xuv700 AX7-L although I crossed it out immediately due to lack of proper 4WD and offroading capabilities + I found it a bit overrated, full of gizmos that are basically made to tick off some checklists and pad the brochure rather than being practical or useful. Only things I found better in the XUV 700 compared to the scorpio-N was the last row space, the panaromic sunroof and the higher tune of the diesel engine.

I didn't actually come with any intention of checking out the alturas but the salesman offered and I accepted. Stepped inside and it was immediately apparent that this was a whole segment above.

The power seats actually allow you to adjust the angle of the bottom part (tilt), which is very important for comfort and is missing in both the scorpioN and the Xuv700. The seat ventilation function works very well and actually blows cold air compared to the mass market hyundais and Tatas which just blows the hot air of the cabin back at you. The last row has enough room for an actual adult to fit. It's not as comfortable as the second row but it is still leagues ahead of the ScorpioN and the xuv's last rows. You get only get a single AC vent in the last row for some reason but it does come with its own blower control. The power tailgate works very well and definitely makes the car appear premium. The cabin and fit and finish is all a segment above. The sunroof is disappointingly small, should have been a panaromic one. The 360 degree camera quality is way better than what MG offers.

Now for driving it, the car is eager to pick up pace with even the lightest accelerator input. It makes you feel like it is more powerful than it actually is. Mash the pedal down completely though and you find out that there is nothing in the top end

Mid and low end grunt is more than enough. The accelerator does have a proper kickdown button at the end but I'm not sure if it will ever be useful considering the lack of a top end. The electronic parking brake and auto hold functions work very well and you can feel the brake pedal feel change when you activate it. The car is also clever enough to disengage the parking brake automatically once you slot it in drive and hit the gas. You can't feel the upshifts but you will feel broken roads. The plus side of this is that it is pretty agile and you can weave through curvy backroads without losing control.

Overall I liked the car but the exterior design feels dated. Considering how much better and modern the updated facelift in global markets look, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I was offered 3l discount right off the bat but sadly, the unknown future regarding service and spare parts holds me back, along with possibly no resale value. I have currently booked the ScorpioN but the long waiting times have me reconsidering the Alturas again.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 22:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Stepped inside and it was immediately apparent that this was a whole segment above.
IMO the Alturas is perhaps one of the best cars in the India market that unfortunately flopped - and this list has some great contenders like the Palio, Mondeo, Kizashi, Fusion, Cedia etc.

I would argue that it is 2 segments above the Scorpio-N. The engine is great and is fuel efficent too, the looks are inoffensive, interior quality is perhaps best in the BOF segment, it is reasonably spacious and comfortable. Many complain about the 3rd row, but it is definitely better than the Scorpio-N and XUV7OO as you rightly pointed out. That it misses out on a spare is perhaps the only chink in it's armour. Wish Mahindra would have-

1. Marketed the product well to make it desirable and aspirational.
2. Corrected it's sticker price instead of offering it at a permanent 4 lakh discount
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks