Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Mercedes C-Class today?
Yes 177 53.47%
No 154 46.53%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 10:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mercedes C-Class (W205)

Voted No, it’s very desirable but not for me. I can see old generation being driven around in it but not for me. Although it looks smashing and well worth the money.
Old 13th December 2020, 10:51   #17
BHPian

Voted Yes. I think this was a change in design philosophy for Merc and they did a good job of it. I am actually drooling over it as we speak, hopefully I will have money to get my hands on a pre-worshipped one sometime in the second half of 2021.
Old 13th December 2020, 14:03   #18
BANNED

The Mercedes Benz motto, “The best or nothing,” illustrates the appeal of this car. Though not trouble-free, the models it produces have a reputation for longevity, classic looks, sophisticated styling, cutting edge technology, and great performance. A new model is out of the price range for most drivers. But when you buy an older Mercedes, you avoid new-car sticker shock. As a luxury car with integrated safety features, it depreciates less rapidly than an economy car. You get the benefits of a high-end car without paying the big bucks up front.
Old 13th December 2020, 20:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

The poll seems to be going neck to neck !

I voted NO. Do I love this car ? Absolutely ! It is still a good looking car and can still look fresh 5-6 years down the line. Then why the negative vote ?

Cars in the affordable sector have simply moved ahead in the game. Most of the features have trickled down into the segments below the 20 lakh segment. Most of the reasons I wanted to go for such a luxury car were the features and enhancements. These days one can get most of it, plus add certain features at custom shops in terms of insulation, luxury upholstery, good sound systems etc. I do agree the driving experience is in a whole different league tho with the Merc.

As for the brand. The three pointed star is still a legend. I do recognize that and respect that. Nothing comes close !
Old 13th December 2020, 21:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Can a change of tyre brands not fix this? Are these ultra low profile 18" ones and hence the consistent damage?
Well, the front tyres were 225/45/R18 and rear were a wider 245/40/R18. We live in kerala and the roads in this part of the world has lot of gutters that will keep breaking the lower height side wall. Our previous CLA200 had 225/45/R17 which was much better as we never had an issue with tyres.
So basically I assume that the R18 wheels is the culprit possibly. I have read in team bhp that low profile tyres are not good for indian roads
Possibly 17 inch wheels might have helped but I did not want to waste time trying the same as handling will get compromised
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 23:59   #21
BHPian

Voted No.
Despite the amazing ride quality and design that looks good even today. It is ridiculously expensive to maintain. At authorised service centres it cost up to 50k for regular servicing and independent mechanics are hit and miss. I know 2 people who completely went through their brake pads in 10k and they were a bomb to replace.Plus they are very expensive in the 2nd hand market. Not a sensible used buy I think.
Old 14th December 2020, 01:14   #22
rkw
BHPian

Voted No. My personal opinion is that it is always better to have a new vehicle if the stakes are high. Pre-owned, however well maintained, will have some or other issues as its life progresses. Such expenses in case of a premium sedan can be really high. I will not wish to dampen the experience of owning the star with high maintenance costs.
Old 14th December 2020, 09:26   #23
sgm
BHPian

Voted Yes but conditions apply

If I’m looking for an entry level among the Germans, then I would personally pick a C-class or 3 series based on individual need and choices. If it is petrol, 330i is a no brainer. C300D is an excellent car if you need bit more performance.

If you are looking for rear seat comfort, rear leg space or being driven around, look elsewhere. There are better and sensible, choices in lower and upper price ranges.

Yes, Merc is bit more expensive generally and lack the finesse in handling compared to a BMW but it has a wow factor and better creature comforts than a 3 series.
Old 14th December 2020, 09:47   #24
BHPian

Yes.
Because it properly welcomes you to the luxury car universe unlike its competitors without any huge compromises.

Also the star badge still holds aspirational value in the Indian market. Evident in the used car space, where a 2015 C class costs as much as a '15 5er or an A6
Old 14th December 2020, 10:31   #25
BHPian

Voted Yes. The way it ages and looks still among the best of all German brands.

More so coz of the interiors which are plush for the segment and from the available choices I feel its the best. If being driven around there are better options

And while you sell it you can still be sure that it will fetch you among the best.

If its petrol model I would suggest to look for BMW over mercedes any day.
Old 14th December 2020, 12:34   #26
kdp
BHPian

Voted no.

I would pick up the w212 e class, for the build, the full size spare and overall space. That e-class generation has an individuality and distinctive road presence that is all Benz. The new ones, for me, less so.
kdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:20   #27
BHPian

If the individual has a primary car and is buying a pre-owned C Class for snob value then I'll say go right ahead. My grandmother, who does not know anything about automobile, used to inspire me by saying "When you come in a Mercedes to pick me I would consider you as successful". She is happy in heaven from 2011- I think she knew the possibility of this happening was very low.

However, as a primary car buy it only if you can afford a new C Class. No matter you have a trusted FNG or not, when a German car breaks it leaches money from your bank account like there's no tomorrow. Instead buy a used Camry or Lexus and live a worry free life.
grosserimperial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 20:21   #28
BHPian

Voted No.

I would not venture anywhere close to a 5 year old Merc, BMW or Audi. Whereas, If it is a well maintained 10 year old Lexus, I would have definitely gone for it without battling an eyelid.

Luxury cars are really great, but not everyone's cup of tea. In my case, I will be ready to shell out a grand amount for maintenance. However in return, I expect my cars to be seriously reliable - the go anywhere kind.
2TR-FE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:40   #29
BHPian

Voted No. I would prefer to buy a pre-worshipped G20 3 series, and for that I'm willing to wait for another 3-4 years. Also the maintenance of a Merc is much higher than that of a BMW. I always dreamt of buying a Bimmer for sheer driving pleasure.
Breathe2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 07:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO. I would rather pick a used Toyota Camry hybrid.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks