Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you care if your cars platform is old or new?
Yes 103 24.12%
No 324 75.88%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

New car, but old platform : Does it really matter?

Some current generation cars are using platforms that have actually been around for a while. My question to you is : does it really matter if the car is otherwise competent?

In most cases, the company wants to keep costs low and hence, doesn’t use or develop a new platform. In some cases, the old platform is actually competent enough to be used in new cars as well. Then, there are a few models whose platforms are actually better than their successors'. That said, one must keep in mind that a newer platform will generally be more advanced when it comes to safety, although there are many ways to ensure that an old platform is safe too (example = Polo & Etios). The newer platforms are generally lighter, which translates to better handling, braking and fuel efficiency. But this lightness could be at the expense of that feeling of solidity.

End of the day, we go by the manufacturer's word. There are ways they can lie about "all new" cars and we wouldn't have any way of knowing whether it's an old or new platform under the skin.

Here's a look at some cars that are still using old platforms.

Toyota Innova Crysta

The Innova Crysta appears to be using the same platform as its predecessor, albeit heavily reworked. The silhouette, positioning of the pillars, boot space (even with seats folded) etc. are all the same. See how similar the lines are.

Nissan Kicks
New car, but old platform : Does it really matter?-img_5530.jpg

The Kicks used the same platform as the Renault Captur that was sold in India. This was the same platform that is under the old Duster!! And it doesn’t end there. This architecture was originally a Dacia platform that underpinned the old Logan. It is decades old.

Skoda Rapid

If ever there was an example of an aged platform still being competent, this is it. The Rapid uses Volkswagen's PQ25 platform which was introduced in 2008. This platform is a reworked version of the company’s PQ24 platform, which was first used in 1999. Despite being based on such an old platform, the Rapid is among the safest cars in its segment, the most solid and has the best ride & handling package.

Volkswagen Jetta
As mentioned earlier, some old platforms are actually better than those that underpin the next generation cars. Here's a look at one:

The Volkswagen Jetta is based on the old PQ35 platform. We much prefer its feel & drive over the newer MQB-based Octavia. The Jetta has superior ride & handling, and feels noticeably more solid. Just like the Rapid mentioned earlier, the old Jetta still outdoes its modern competitors when it comes to high speed composure.

BMW 5-Series
New car, but old platform : Does it really matter?-bmw5seriesg30andf10comparison.jpg

We see this in the luxury segments too. GTO is convinced that the G30 is based on the F10's platform. Just like the Innova example above, take a look at the pillars, silhouette, placement of the doors and profile - they are 99% identical. Sit in both the cars back to back and you'll be astonished at how everything is located at the "same" place.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2020 at 12:00.
Aditya is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New car, but old platform : Does it really matter?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Voted for no.

As long as the platform is competent, I don't care. Heck, even apart from the platform, I actually prefer some older cars compared to their next-gen replacements - Jetta is an example, W124 vs W210 is another, here is a related thread (When the previous-gen car / bike was better than the newer-generation model).
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. As long as the car ticks all the boxes, the platform does not matter. I think Nexon also belongs in the list of older platform based newer cars. Supposedly based on the X1 platform which debuted in 2008 on Indica Vista. Tata managed to make it 5-star safety compatible and even gave it a Range rover Evoque face. Somehow they even managed to make it electric with modification. I understand electric Nexon is technically based on the new ziptron platform, but I am sure the underpinnings are still heavily based on the age-old X1 platform. That is ample proof that a well-designed platform can give the manufacturer more than a decade of life.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 23rd December 2020 at 08:20.
padmrajravi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Voted No.

I don't see any issues with competent platforms continuing on the newer generation cars, especially the German ones are so solid and relatively future-proof to go on for a couple of generations. But i do think it's not ideal to put modern clothes on a old man and make him pretend to run as a young one - like in case of Renault-Nissan (or rather Dacia).
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:06   #5
BHPian

Absolutely NO. Infact, I would prefer old proven platform in a more modern avatar. This gives me the peace of mind and the modern features.

Only catch is that the platform should have been a proven one.
tirumalavoleti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:07   #6
BHPian

Voted no.

As long as the job is done safely, efficiently and comfortably, what else can majority of the market ask for.
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

New car on an old platform does not matter to me, provided:
  1. There are no incompatible changes for somehow using the old platform though it wasn't fully suitable.
  2. The old platform itself is good.
Attached Thumbnails
New car, but old platform : Does it really matter?-images-6.jpeg  

Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:31   #8
BHPian

Voted no. I have Nissan Kicks which is based on an old Duster platform and I can vouch for the fact that it doesn’t matter if the platform is old, as long it’s proven.
sahil624 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I voted No.

Driving around in my Ford Fiesta 1.6S, I feel the chassis - despite being almost two decades old, has still got something to teach the newer light-weight cars when it comes to dynamics and stiffness

I often wonder, why Ford ditched this platform. The problem with the aging Fiesta and Figo were the outdated styling and interiors, no one ever complained about the way the cars drove or felt. Ford could have saved massive costs by updating the design completely to stay fresh and contemporary. The all new Global Fiesta which was brought in 2011 was no patch on this older platform. The rear seat space was a major flaw in the compact platform from Europe, and was also very expensive - thus making the Global Fiesta dead on arrival.

As the popular quote goes - Why fix it while it ain't broke?

Last edited by aravind.anand : 23rd December 2020 at 09:57.
aravind.anand is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

While I appreciate the idea of this thread, I don't think it's fair at all to put that 5er up there with the others on this thread.

The platform of the G30 is really different to the old F10. The new one is bigger in all aspects but weighs less due to heavy usage of exotic material compared to the old platform. And if I am not mistaken, BMW even got a new name for this cluster architecture which started with the latest 7.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The all new Global Fiesta which was brought in 2011 was no patch on this older platform.
Yes, I agree with the premium on interior space. And I am glad Ford had its priorities sorted this way for the new platform.

But, not a patch on the old car? Can you please explain this to me? I am genuinely curious. Is it the steering, handling, ride, build, stiffness?? From what I have experienced, the new one moved the goal posts further ahead in all these parameters, even compared to the brilliant S. Too bad Ford India couldn't give the global Fiesta a better petrol motor over here.

Ford is really 10/10 with these new compact hatchback platform development from its EU division in the last decade and more. The latest ones have always moved the game forward while keeping pleasure of driving at its core.

Last edited by deetjohn : 23rd December 2020 at 10:19. Reason: adding new quote.
deetjohn is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I voted No.

Driving around in my Ford Fiesta 1.6S, I feel the chassis - despite being almost two decades old, has still got something to teach the newer light-weight cars when it comes to dynamics and stiffness

I often wonder, why Ford ditched this platform. The problem with the aging Fiesta and Figo were the outdated styling and interiors, no one ever complained about the way the cars drove or felt. Ford could have saved massive costs by updating the design completely to stay fresh and contemporary. The all new Global Fiesta which was brought in 2011 was no patch on this older platform. The rear seat space was a major flaw in the compact platform from Europe, and was also very expensive - thus making the Global Fiesta dead on arrival.

As the popular quote goes - Why fix it while it ain't broke?
Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong, the 2011 Fiesta is a world apart from the older one. The car is better in every way and the one car program Ford had back then made the car much better. The car has given less problems in 10 years than the old one gave in 5. The steering is leagues ahead and running costs are lower with better fuel efficiency. The 1.6S wasn't mainstream, it has a tweaked suspension, quite rare for any car in our market.

Ford quickly learnt their lesson, cut costs on structural integrity and the ecosport was a raging success. The fiesta was toast as expected.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

Both my cars are new and both are on old platforms. However they are safer than most, if not all, of their competitors, fun to drive and equally competent vehicles.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:00   #13
BHPian

Voted as NO. I don't car as along as the old platform is safe and it is updated to keep up with the modern safety standards and features.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:28   #14
BHPian

Voted No. As long as the car is new, why bother about platform?

As mentioned in the original post itself, some things are best left to trusting the manufacturers and their decisions on what is best for their cars. We really have no way of knowing why car A is not based on B platform and instead based on C platform. There could be 'n' number of reasons for that.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:29   #15
BHPian

Voted No,

The reasoning is like this. We are only concerned about the car(product) which is of the platform. If the car is sensible and sates all the requirements (Safety, comfort, features & practicality, looks and FE (weight due to material change and platform design) then there is no need to think about a platform.

Platforms are more relevant for manufacturers for ease and cost of development, long term portfolio with various segments, modularity and reuse of manufacturing set ups.

Last edited by saikarthik : 23rd December 2020 at 11:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks