Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 23:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Honda India working on new Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
A competitor to Venue, Sonet, Magnite, Triber, Nexon. All of them have 1.2L petrol. No? And by the way WRV belongs to the same class.
Well, the only thing common the WR-V has with its rivals is the class! The WR-V else is a far more superior product in many aspects and far inferior in many aspects (including the engine!). The lame engine and the lack of road presence (feels more like a Freestyle rival!) are one of the main aspects of failure of the WR-V.

Quote:
Slightly OT - There are many posts in our forum, asking Honda to plonk CITY's 1.5 in WRV and Jazz. But, we never asked the same for a Baleno or an i20. Sheer brilliance and capability of the product. Agreed?
Despite being a 1.5L VTEC owner, I would love to disagree here!

Although the 1.5L VTEC is a brilliant unit, the reason behind people demanding it in the Jazz/WR-V is the lackluster nature of the 1.2L VTEC and not the brilliance of of the 1.5L!

If one points out at the i20 or the Venue, both of them already have a more powerful 1.0L Turbo for those who do not want the lackluster 1.2L Kappa engine!

Talking about Maruti, again I have driven K12s in most cars that they have done duty on, and never have I ever felt the lack of power. From the light Swift 3rd gen to the heavier 2nd gen Dzire, those engines are tuned so well that you never feel the lack of a more powerful engine.

While this is the case with Hyundai and Maruti, none is true for Honda's sub-4m cars! Neither do these have a great N/A engine and nor do they have the option of a more powerful turbocharged engine. Hence the customer who wants a decently powerful car is not left with any other choice except for asking for the 1.5L VTEC in the aforementioned cars.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st May 2022 at 04:52. Reason: Deleted abbreviated profanity.
theAutomaniac is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:43   #47

Quote:
A competitor to Venue, Sonet, Magnite, Triber, Nexon. All of them have 1.2L petrol. No? And by the way WRV belongs to the same class.
Except the triber, all the other cars have a powerful turbocharged option. while 1.2L petrol in nexon is turbocharged producing 120hp against 90hp of wrv.

Quote:
Slightly OT - There are many posts in our forum, asking Honda to plonk CITY's 1.5 in WRV and Jazz. But, we never asked the same for a Baleno or an i20. Sheer brilliance and capability of the product. Agreed?
As pointed by Automaniac i20 already have a powerful option, but another car which is wished to have a powerful engine is the Tata Altroz (Although now it has a 1.2 turbo petrol, but only in mt). Also the Altroz have a diesel engine option, while the Jazz don't.

Now coming to the topic, will it compete against punch instead of Venue/Nexon as it will be based on the amaze platform, which is inferior than the current WRV platform?
Exilus13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:00   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It’s all about how good the engine is and how heavy the car is. The featherweight Baleno is adequately peppy with the 1.2 K Series. Hyundai’s 1.2 Kappa had always felt anaemic in the i20 and continues to. But they rectified the situation with the turbo 1.0 GDI. Honda 1.2 iVTEC feels weak and lazy. Add to it the comparatively heavy car and relatively taller gearing, and you get a vehicle that is simply no fun to drive. Honda has been selling the same engine for close to 15 years now with next to no upgrades. The game has moved on.

Simply put, the 1.2 in the Jazz is insipid and outmatched. The 1.5 iVTEC will bring the car up to speed, literally and figuratively.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd May 2022 at 10:05.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Upcoming Honda Compact & Midsize SUVs to also boast Diesel & Hybrid Engines In India.
Hybrid engines ?? If they are planning to launch it with a full fledged hybrid engine , then i won't be suprised if it costs more than 18 lakhs .

Never thought a day would come where we would see a 25 lakh rupees Honda City
Old 22nd May 2022, 22:53   #50
BHPian

Oh Honda! Hire a strategist please. You can make more profit selling robots in India than the cars you are planning to launch. That too 2023-24.
Sids85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 06:41   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
Agree. Honda's 1.5L iVtech is a brilliant engine.

That was the case on NA. Once Turbo petrols come in, lower displacement gets you good power. But yes, they need to be worked up though. A 1.2-Turbo would be awesome.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 16:12   #52
BHPian

Well, when I said Product, its the Jazz and the WRV as a whole and not the engine. when did we start calling an engine a product? Now please read my statement again.

My idea was to highlight the capabilities of these two cars (jazz, WRV) which might translate to the new CSUV we are waiting for.

Lame Engine, really! How many times we see all these Amaze's, Jazz's, WRV's struggling to inch forward. This 1.2 engine doesn't have a low end grunt and may not pounce, but, does a fantastic job of munching miles. Owning all these 1.2P CVT Jazz, 1.5D Jazz, 1.5P City, think I am eligible to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Well, the only thing common the WR-V has with its rivals is the class! The WR-V else is a far more superior product in many aspects and far inferior in many aspects (including the engine!). The lame engine and the lack of road presence (feels more like a Freestyle rival!) are one of the main aspects of failure of the WR-V.

Despite being a 1.5L VTEC owner, I would love to disagree here!

Although the 1.5L VTEC is a brilliant unit, the reason behind people demanding it in the Jazz/WR-V is the lackluster nature of the 1.2L VTEC and not the brilliance of of the 1.5L!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilus13 View Post
As pointed by Automaniac i20 already have a powerful option, but another car which is wished to have a powerful engine is the Tata Altroz (Although now it has a 1.2 turbo petrol, but only in mt). Also the Altroz have a diesel engine option, while the Jazz don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It’s all about how good the engine is and how heavy the car is. The featherweight Baleno is adequately peppy with the 1.2 K Series. Hyundai’s 1.2 Kappa had always felt anaemic in the i20 and continues to.
Old 4th June 2022, 10:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Replacement of WR-V, coming as a New model?

Scoop! Honda India working on new Compact SUV-fuuubbnacaaltmm.jpg

Scoop! Honda India working on new Compact SUV-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th June 2022 at 10:42.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:07   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

New Honda SUV debut in Aug 2022, likely replacement to WR-V.

Honda's new SUV for emerging markets will have City's 1.5 engine.

Crossover has already been anticipated by the concept RS SUV and will have the mission to succeed the WR-V

Quote:
Honda has begun work on two all-new SUVs- one catering to the sub-4 metre segment and the other will be a compact C-segment offering. Both of them will be underpinned by the Amaze platform and are internally referred to as PF2 and PF2S respectively.

Honda Subcompact SUV (codename: 3US)Link

Quote:
The design of the upcoming subcompact SUV has been locked in and engineering work is now progressing well. It will be designed to take on the likes of Tata Nexon, Kia Sonet, Maruti Brezza and Mahindra XUV300 which have more SUV-like proportions with a high stance. Its design is of utmost importance since design of the low-slung WR-V wasn’t taken too well among Indian consumers.
Quote:
Honda is expected to borrow powertrains for the subcompact SUV from Amaze that would include a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated i-Vtec petrol engine and a 1.5-litre diesel engine. In Amaze, the former puts out 89 bhp and 110 Nm of peak torque while the latter kicks out 99 bhp and 200 Nm of peak torque. Honda is also likely to include some form of hybrid tech in order to provide a boost and better fuel economy to the SUV. The Japanese auto giant could also choose to forsake the sub-4m excise sop and offer a more powerful 1.5 petrol unit. The company intends to sell around 6,200 units of this SUV per month.
The gearbox can be manual or automatic transmission type CVT simulating 7 gears. A hybrid option of 109 hp, repeating mechanics used by the City Hybrid sold in Asia, is also considered.

Honda Mid-Size SUV (Codename: 3RA)

Quote:
Next in line is the bigger compact C-segment SUV that will lock horns with Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos and others. Internally codenamed 3RA, this SUV is expected to measure around 4.3 metre in overall length and is likely to launch in India sometime in early 2024. This SUV is expected to borrow powertrains from the fifth-gen City including its cleaner and more fuel-efficient Hybrid avatar. Internal estimates show that Honda will be able to sell around 4,100 units of this SUV when launched in the country. Reports also claim that Honda is contemplating on developing a three-row version of this SUV with six- or seven-seat configurations

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd June 2022 at 09:19.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 00:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Honda SUV debut in Aug 2022, likely replacement to WR-V.

Link
Honda being Honda- I never expected that there will be any launch/reveal in Aug.

But is there any other info to tell us when can we expect the sun compact SUV?
attrip2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It’s all about how good the engine is and how heavy the car is. The featherweight Baleno is adequately peppy with the 1.2 K Series. Hyundai’s 1.2 Kappa had always felt anaemic in the i20 and continues to. But they rectified the situation with the turbo 1.0 GDI. Honda 1.2 iVTEC feels weak and lazy. Add to it the comparatively heavy car and relatively taller gearing, and you get a vehicle that is simply no fun to drive. Honda has been selling the same engine for close to 15 years now with next to no upgrades. The game has moved on.

Simply put, the 1.2 in the Jazz is insipid and outmatched. The 1.5 iVTEC will bring the car up to speed, literally and figuratively.
The City with the 1.5 iVTEC is a bliss to drive and a effortless cruiser. But seeing that on a sub-4m car is a distant dream until and unless the govt scrap the tax benefit that a sub-4m car with a 1.2L petrol or a 1.5L diesel engines enjoy.
Honda if decides to plonk in the 1.5 iVTEC engine into the jazz, it will priced above its segment and in a price sensitive market, the results will be disastrous.
Old 4th October 2022, 17:38   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda to launch a Compact SUV in Japan a segment lower than the ZR-V.

Will this be the SUV for India too?

Quote:
Expected to be even lower than the ZR-V (4570mm long) and 4330mm long, this is a completely new SUV with an expected overall length of 4200mm and a look ahead to the Yaris Cross, Kicks, Rise & Rocky, and more.
Quote:
Coming next spring, we will deliver exclusive information about one of the expected cars that will punch into the fiercest battlefield!
Quote:
The hybrid 1.5-liter e:HEV also has a more powerful motor to improve driving performance.

The power unit of this entry-level SUV should be similar, but the possibility of a three-cylinder 1-liter turbo that has been reported in the best cars for a long time has not disappeared.

This 3-cylinder 1-liter turbo engine delivers 130ps/20.0kgm or more. It is already installed in the European specification Civic and has gained a certain reputation.
Quote:
An entry SUV with a small body can enjoy punchy driving.
Scoop! Honda India working on new Compact SUV-1.jpg

Scoop! Honda India working on new Compact SUV-2.jpg

Scoop! Honda India working on new Compact SUV-3.jpg

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  97.9 KB

Quote:
Honda Entry SUV (e: HEV) expected specs:
- Overall length × Width× Height: 4200×1760×1600mm
- Wheelbase: 2530mm
- Vehicle weight: 1250kg
- Power unit: 4-cylinder, 1.5L hybrid
- Engine maximum output/maximum torque: 100ps/13.0kgm
-Motor maximum output/maximum torque: 120ps/26.0kgm
-Drive system: 4WD/WLTC mode fuel economy: 24.0km/L

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th October 2022 at 17:39.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 22:35   #58
BHPian

With the Hyryder / Grabd Vitara preparing some ground for hybrids, this would be a good model to introduce in India next year
Old 5th October 2022, 21:16   #59

[New Honda SUV debut in Aug 2022, likely replacement to WR-V.]

I believe this was a typo error, many reports have suggested that the SUV debut will be before festive period of 2023.
Old 6th October 2022, 15:59   #60
BHPian

The front and side profiles are good. Who approved that fitment at the back.
This is the SUV based on the Amaze. That Katana line on the shoulder, Bonnets Cut, and silhouette gives away the style. To extend the silhouette and to give a SUV look they seem to add that cheap plasticky shroud. Probably they will call floating windshield look.

Last edited by saisree : 6th October 2022 at 16:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks