Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2021, 12:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Indian cars that deserve to die - The 2021 edition

Do we have a breakup of Sales numbers in Automatic variant of JAZZ, I 20 ,Polo and Baleno.
I believe Petrol Automatic hatchback is the only segment where people actually consider Jazz as an option.
Would like to look at Jazz' share among automatic hatches being sold to check the above hypothesis
Old 19th January 2021, 12:34   #47
BHPian

Agree with Datsun duo on list. It actually killed very capable Tata Nano only because it look like proper car and Nano look like Rickshaw.

Disagree with Marazzo on list. Capable car but not selling because of front wheel drive that makes it useless in hilly region.

Last edited by IP_Man : 19th January 2021 at 12:41. Reason: Clarity
Old 19th January 2021, 14:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Disagree strongly with this list, especially with the presence of the Figo (my sister in law owns one - the only car in its segment with 6 air bags), Jazz, Vento and Elantra. All of these are perfectly good cars - which the Indian customer does not like for unfathomable reasons. Agree with the presence of the Datsuns and the E-Verito on this list - am ambivalent about the Kicks, Yaris and KUV100.

The cars that NEED to die are in my view only the following Death Traps on Wheels

- Maruti Alto
- Maruti Eeco
- Maruti Celerio
- Maruti SPresso
- Renault Kwid
- Mahindra Bolero

in short any car that fails to obtain at least a 2 star GNCAP rating, or is over 15 years old. Frankly these cars are at present killing their owners.

In an ideal world, I would have wanted even all the two star rated cars to die - but realise that we would lose almost all our top selling models in that case - so let’s take it one step at a time, and get rid of the most egregious cases of vehicles designed to kill first.
I agree that cars like Jazz, Vento and Elantra still have takers and they have their road presence still in India. Elantra was one of my favorites only because it looked elegant IMHO. However most of the Maruthi cars mentioned above are still ruling the Indian car market in terms of sheer numbers. Doesn't mean that I like albeit I despise them for my own reasons(looks most probably).
Old 19th January 2021, 14:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:
The cars that NEED to die are in my view only the following Death Traps on Wheels

- Maruti Alto
- Maruti Eeco
- Maruti Celerio
- Maruti SPresso
- Renault Kwid
- Mahindra Bolero
Seconded.

I will probably be lambasted for saying this, but the Polo GT TSI should be killed.
Hear me out. The previous Polo GT TSI was a model which was different from the "regular" Polo. Its USP was the 1.2 TSI engine and 7-speed DSG gearbox which were exclusive to the GT.
For 2020, VW decided to give the GT a change of heart, literally. The GT TSI now comes with a 1.0 TSI engine and a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission. It is priced at Rs 9.92 lakh ex-showroom (according to VW's site).
One question: why would you buy it? Because you can get the "regular" Polo in Highline Plus trim with the same engine and gearbox for 9.45 lakh.
So why would you pay Rs 47k extra for the GT? Just for the sake of getting a spoiler and some GT badges? You can get those aftermarket for far less.
It seems that VW has reduced the Polo GT TSI to nothing but a mere name now.
TheGearBox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 17:32   #50
BHPian

I personally haver to respectfully disagree on the Nissan Kicks. It's a pretty solid car, with a 5-star ASEAN NCAP under its belt. But some issues do stand out, especially quality when compared to the Korean competition. And of course- the price! You're right. It could have been cheaper or tried to undercut the competition. The present sales numbers cannot justify its continued presence in India. It reminds me of the sales Fiat was doing in the years before it finally shut shop. Nissan should take some evasive action on this one soon.
Old 19th January 2021, 17:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Excellent thread. Above posts cover decent list, which i agree with.

Here is my take: Call me old fashioned but I feel any car that doesn't have 4 star GNCAP rating deserves to die than letting people die inside of that car in very few unfortunate situations.
I would strongly disagree. Firstly this is OT but I’ll go ahead and say that safety ratings do matter but is not everything.

People die in the safest of vehicles when met with an accident and live even when driving ‘puny’ cars like the Alto, Kwid, Nano etc.

So this point is just something that’s a ‘good to have’ rather than blindly praising the ‘safe cars’.

Quote:
From business perspective, Camry doesnt deserve to live because of price tag, numbers, and kit it offers compared to Superb.
I’d have to disagree as the Camry is a fabulous car. Not everyone wants the snob value and associated feel good factor but rather a practical, good and no nonsense car.
alikidwhy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 18:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I really feel the Tigor should be axed as soon as possible. The car has been showing a steady increase in sales numbers, but I feel it doesn’t deserve to be on sale anymore. The sales numbers of the Tigor are no where close to the Tiago. It has a lame engine and an equally anemic electric counterpart to make things even worse. If Tata gives it a better engine, then I feel it is worth considering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I like the styling, design language and boot integration of the Tigor. But still can't find a proper reason to buy the Tigor instead of the Tiago. Well, what's the difference between a Swift-Dzire one may ask. The market has the answer.

The Tigor really deserves a better engine or atleast interiors.
Maybe Tata knows it. That's why the Goshaq is on development faster than the next gen Tiago.
Big fan of what Tigor offers at that price point. The problem with the current 'small' cars is lack of boot space and hence usability. Tigor has a boot bigger than my Nexon and at a very competitive pricepoint. Arguably it does not cost a lot more to develop , produce or maintain as it shares parts with the Tiago. I would ask all folks buying the Tiago to spend a bit more and buy the Tigor.

IMHO , the cars that deserve to be axed are those who have no hope to turn around the existing lack lusture performance due to many reasons incl parent company performance.

Datsun twins, eVerito etc..
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 20:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
S-Presso and Ignis can be put to rest. Poor cars and low volume by Maruti standards
Ignis ??? Are you sure it is a poor car. There will be many if not most who considers Ignis to be one of the better examples from the Maruti stable and more VFM and a better product than the Swift. The looks are love it or hate it, but as a product it is nowhere poor.

OT: Personally I believe that 90% of the Maruti cars which don't sell are their best and most capable cars. Example: Kizashi, Baleno sedan, Ritz, Ignis, S-Cross, Gypsy (in it's own way), Grand Vitara, etc.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 19th January 2021 at 21:02.
Altocumulus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 21:26   #54
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th January 2021 at 07:24.
vranjan21 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th January 2021, 21:47   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Agree with Datsun duo on list. It actually killed very capable Tata Nano only because it look like proper car and Nano look like Rickshaw.
This is a cycle rickshaw (motorized), as seen last week in Chennai.

Indian cars that deserve to die - The 2021 edition-img_20210107_171248.jpg

This is the last version of Tata Nano that was on sale.

Indian cars that deserve to die - The 2021 edition-tatananogenxamt01.jpg

Indian cars that deserve to die - The 2021 edition-photo_20161224_170104.jpg

The effort that went into a frugal engineering marvel like Nano is monumental. If Nano was launched in 1983 instead of M800, by now we would have had a lot more car owners in India. Imagine the progress India would have made with so much more mobile Indians. I'm no way diminishing M800's contribution to India's progress but Nano could have done even more.

Low cost mobility is very important for India, I have respect for manufacturers who tried to enter the low cost segment including Datsun, their failures are truly their own making though not because of Maruti.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:02   #56
BHPian

My pick would be the Datsun couple for sure. Rest of the cars on the list are still agreeable to some extent keeping a clear head.
Old 19th January 2021, 22:41   #57
BHPian

IMHO All Maruti cars (except the Ignis, Ciaz and S cross) "SUCK" big time and should be discontinued. Same for Datsun too. But thats my opinion and for someone else these cars may be suiting their specific requirement and they may be perfectly happy to own one. I feel we should also have a thread for cult cars that deserve a comeback.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 23:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:

- Maruti Alto
- Maruti Eeco
- Maruti Celerio
- Maruti SPresso
- Renault Kwid
- Mahindra Bolero

I disagree.

It’s based on which angle its being looked. These are the entry level cars and for a lower middle class family who want to upgrade from motorcycle to a Car, these are the options. These cars are much safer than a family of four travelling in motorcycle in some rural areas. Yes, used car is an option, but there are people who prefer new car especially from employee/salaried class.

I do agree that these cars need to get better in safety features. What we need is authorities should tighten the laws and minimum bar for safety rating should go up for all new cars in sale. I never felt these cars deserved to die.

I do agree if there is a low seller in the list, which I am not seeing
Sorry, its my view

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 19th January 2021 at 23:47. Reason: spell check
Old 20th January 2021, 00:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Agree that Santro and S-Cross deserve to be added on the list. Maruti should forget the S-Cross name and get the next gen Vitara as the Brezza's bigger brother in the lineup. Hyundai have messed up the Santro by not catering to the extremely price sensitive customers in the lower segments - the humble old Santro was a simple, spacious car with reliable mechanicals.

Some of these cars are pretty nice (Jazz, Figo, Yaris etc) and some are absolute junk (Go, Go+, KUV etc). This list shows that India is a very tough market to crack unless a company delivers a good product at the right price backed up with good FE and low maintenance. If a company is entering a sub-10 lakh segment dominated by MSIL or Hyundai, they better get their act right from day 1.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 20th January 2021 at 00:56.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 02:09   #60
BHPian

Well the fleet operators beg to disagree, interestingly 7 out of my last 10 Uber rides have been in a Datsun Go, Sure it wasn't comfortable or anything but just mentioning this from a business numbers perspective.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks