Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 12:07   #61
BHPian

Re: Indian cars that deserve to die - The 2021 edition

I actually quite like the Tigor AMT which came in a surprise wild card entry for me when checking out a decent compact car for my wife. Safety was my utmost priority and the only car in the segment with the similar level of safety (and a much better engine + gearbox) was the Honda Amaze. Wife however didn't take the boxy looks as well as she did for the curvy Tigor and her idea of performance is to travel at 40 kmph :-). For her, its looks, looks and more looks....don't give a hoot about the engine/gearbox as long as it goes forward, backward and turns...like a remote toy car.
Considering the price gap between the highest version Amaze and Tigor (around 1.5 lakhs), decided to go for the Tata Tigor. A better engine/gearbox would have helped a lot but after driving it during a test drive, it wasn't bad as what I had anticipated, having driven/own much better automatic gearboxes. Really wanted to go for the Polo TSI though, that would have been an absolute beast but like I said, 40 kmph...
Anyway went out of context but agree with the list of cars that have to go (especially the Datsuns, guess Nissan understood this and thus the Magnite that originated as a Datsun product but released as a Nissan) but do feel realy sad to see excellent cars like the Vento likely to go in that direction.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 20th January 2021 at 12:17.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:57   #62
BHPian

Hi, I am somehow not convinced with the word "die" associated with this thread. Maybe "discontinued" would have been more apt. But that's purely from my point of view. I am not imposing my views on anybody.

The Figo certainly doesn't deserve to be on the list even if its a slow seller. On the contrary I would like it top a list of cars that need to be continued at least for another 3 years or so. Yes the Figo needs a makeover but the diesel is definitely in a different league. If you take out the Figo, what choice do enthusiasts have apart from the Polo 1.0 TSI which is relatively new? The Figo is the only 4 pot BSVI 1.5 Diesel Turbo with a 100BHP/220NM torque on tap and ready for remaps. Its the real muscle unlike the smaller turbo's on steroids.

I hope somebody from Ford India is reading this thread.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 20th January 2021 at 13:16. Reason: Content addition
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 16:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Figo is still a very potent platform, has excellent BS6 engines on petrol & diesel. It only needs a good cosmetic make over. Some fancy facelift with projectors & bit of interior gizmos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Still disagree with the Figo and Vento forming part of this list. Why?

The Freestyle and the Aspire are built on the same platform as the Figo. So the incremental cost of producing the Figo is almost certainly less than the incremental contribution the car delivers to Ford India even with very low sales volumes. Makes immense sense for Ford India to retain every single sale they can when they operate in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The Figo should not have featured on this list. At the same time, the Figo deserves a spot in this list.

One of the best handling small cars, available with one of the best 4 pot Diesel engines in this country and with 6 air-bags, the Figo should have been racing towards the top of the sales charts.
I fully agree with the above views on the Figo. Ford can still make money on the Figo (In going with the theme of this thread). So they should not let it die. I feel if the stick to 3 trim levels and not change what you get and what you don't every 2 months, people will buy it. They can easily upgrade the HU, Climate control and other interior features to keep it fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
[*]Suzuki S-cross: Same as the WRV. However, with Brezza on offer, this should be discontinued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I always feels like S-Cross was one of the better made MSIL product came in this decade. It wasn't high riding as an SUV but it can go to places where an hatchback cannot, a true crossover. I did like that product but I can totally understand why many people didn't like it, Crossovers always had polarizing opinion in India.
The S-Cross is very different from the Breeze (though bot are priced too close). The build quality of the S-Cross is really good.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 17:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The S-Cross is very different from the Breeze (though bot are priced too close). The build quality of the S-Cross is really good.
The S-Cross was made originally for the European markets, and the driving dynamics and road behavior reflects that. The build is relatively sturdy for a Maruti Suzuki car.
Old 25th January 2021, 15:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I am sure the manufacturers know pretty well about their products.
Spot on.
I know I'm also a little off topic here. But, just my 2 cents.
Those 95% are buying cars based on features for the price.
Those 95% are buying cars based on mileage.
Those 95% are buying cars based on pick-up (may be).
Those 95% are buying cars based on service network.
Nothing else.

Everybody wants sales. It's just that some car manufactures are trying to sell based on safety, some based on dealer/service network, some based on brand image, some based on USPs.

Coming to the sales numbers, I don't think it's the car's fault. It's what the average consumer is expecting (in a car).

In my apartment (which has around 25 cars), 10 are Balenos.
No offense to any Baleno owner, but I feel it should've been a 100 kgs heavier. My purchase criteria has better safety (directly proportionate to weight, whatever Maruti says about Heartech and all that) first, while those in my apartment had other things like mileage and pick-up. I own a Tiago.

Don't want to drag this post further.
May be, they (manufacturers) can do cost cutting by cutting metal and sell cars at lower price, which might then have more sales compared to current.
Cutting features will be visible, but I don't thing a lot of people (that 95%) will notice weight cut.

My conclusion is that low sales should not be a reason to discontinue.
rajendra2278 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 09:43   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread Closed. Discussion has run its course.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks