Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2021, 13:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo S90 : Interior, leather and cosmetic issues after just 39,000 km

Few things come to mind when I look at this dash.

Was it regularly treated with some sort of interior cleaning agent? Could some chemical have caused this sort of issue? Sometimes it may be done unknowingly.

I agree that if cars are regularly parked in an open area for extended periods of time, then the temperature inside can get really really hot causing the roof lining to start sagging, dash starts melting ( in those older Palios, I've seen dozens of them)

Even on my F30 320d, the door handles inside have melted over the last few years. This happened despite me taking so much care of the car.

If this was indeed a quality issue, then this should have been the case with most S90's made in this batch.

I don't think it's fair to blame Volvo over this.
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 13:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to see the damage you have suffered. Even more sorry to hear that Volvo is not responding. That is stupid of them. Always hug a dissatisfied customer or a creditor banging on your door. Were there any other mitigating factors like water of some beverage getting spilled on to the dash board or the OP threatening Volvo with legal action that might have caused them to stop responding? While I fully empathize with the owner who has paid a lot for first class service it would help to know more facts.

With a luxury car taking the extended warranty is always a wise policy. 2-years is inadequate. At least my experience over 6 years with Volvo & its dealer in Gurgaon has been that if you are reasonable with them & behave courteously they do go out of their way as much as they can.

At this stage legally the OP is out of contract on the warranty. 2-years is 2-years and doesn't mean 3-years. If the dealer is offering a 50% price cut it might make sense to take it and move on. At least that's what I would have done.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 23rd January 2021 at 13:32.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Disagree completely. No one is saying it cannot be used there - just that the leather may wear out and have to be replaced at a cost. Or you live with worn out interiors. People don’t design luxury cars to survive floods or dust storms or tornadoes. Frankly, even rough and tough SUVs may suffer interior damage in extreme conditions.
From the pictures it's clear that the glue has lost it's ability to bond properly. And that's exactly what I pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I believe this is completely Volvo's fault that they didn't use the right glue for our region.
But I must agree that manufacturers have not been good with glue always.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...ires-explained

Last edited by Turbohead : 23rd January 2021 at 15:30.
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:59   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Interior leather trim peelling off seems morelike a manufacturing defect to me. And in such a case Volvo must rectify it. It's really absurd that such things happen in a 70+ lakh Rupees car - people pay that amount to buy a luxury car and would expect top class build and quality.

Regarding the extended warranty, I doubt it covers wear and tear. But even if it did, why would a customer need to pay additional money. I would expect such cars to hold up their stuff for atleast 10 years before it starts falling apart. It seems unethical that a company would rectify a manufacturing defect only if the customer has purchased extended warranty.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:12   #20
BHPian

I feel extremely sympathetic to OP as this is simply inexcusable. "You should've gotten the extended warranty" is a pathetic thing to say to someone going through what OP is on a 3 year / 39000 km car. 3 years is not enough time for a car's instrument cluster to conk off even if I leave it baking in Jaisalmer for 3 years straight.

Tesla used non-automotive large high-res touchscreens on their initial batch of Model S and as things happen- they started to glitch and go off because of people parking their cars out in the sun, as people do at least some time or another. Tesla's response? They replaced every single one without question.

That was newboy Tesla. This is VOLVO.

Perhaps we're too caught up in their beautiful designs and sturdy foundations of safety.

Maybe it's time we examine just how much of them is still rooted in rock-solid, unquestionable Swedish reliability and how much of that Zhejiang Geely has eroded over the past decade.
Singh101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:48   #21
BHPian

I'd say go for a social media ad campaign like the LandRover owner who put up ads on instagram. Go on twitter tagging their India and International Heads etc discouraging people from buying Volvos. That might force their hand.

This is not a matter of parts failing, for them to simply hide behind Expired warranty.
. This is just poor manufacturing/assembly quality, that too on such an expensive vehicle.

I thought it was just minor cracks and shrinking of the upholstery until I saw the pictures. This is absurd.
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
I feel extremely sympathetic to OP as this is simply inexcusable. "You should've gotten the extended warranty" is a pathetic thing to say to someone going through what OP is on a 3 year / 39000 km car. 3 years is not enough time for a car's instrument cluster to conk off even if I leave it baking in Jaisalmer for 3 years straight.

Tesla used non-automotive large high-res touchscreens on their initial batch of Model S and as things happen- they started to glitch and go off because of people parking their cars out in the sun, as people do at least some time or another. Tesla's response? They replaced every single one without question.

That was newboy Tesla. This is VOLVO.

Perhaps we're too caught up in their beautiful designs and sturdy foundations of safety.

Maybe it's time we examine just how much of them is still rooted in rock-solid, unquestionable Swedish reliability and how much of that Zhejiang Geely has eroded over the past decade.
I am sorry but I disagree. First of all, it is a 2016 manufactured car which makes it more than 4 years old. OP bought it in 2017. So probably, the car was sitting in a stockyard somewhere without any type of care for a whole year. We also don't know if he used any type of chemical to clean the interiors. That might be another reason. We need to hear the story on both sides before bashing an automaker. "The customer is always right" philosophy is right when it makes sense. Extended warranty provided is for a reason. This is the first time I am hearing about interior quality issues in a Volvo. I myself own a 2018 Xc60 and a 2017 v40 and no issues so far. There might be more to the story than we know.
sirjokhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 22:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

If only Lexus starts manufacturing their cars in India, and expands their presence a bit, these European manufacturers will come down to their knees.

@ OP, really feel sad the way Volvo has treated you. My suggestion would be to make this viral on Facebook, twitter/ youtube with #Boycott Volvo.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 23:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Volvo S90 problems after just 39,000 km

Sorry to hear about this Aditya. Such a quality issue is totally unacceptable. In my experience, Volvo build quality has taken a beating of late.

When I looked up you problem I saw another such case on sweedspeed.com - about bubbles on the dash board.

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/1...leather+bubble

Makes me wonder if Indian heat is a problem how would these cars tolerate Middle Eastern Sunshine. Messaging the top brass on Social Media will not help. You will just have to give publicity of the right kind to get them to notice you.
vickster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 00:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Even though extended warranty is always recommended with such cars but correlating warranty and the issued faced by the OP here is uncalled for. The leather trim quality in these premium cars is falling year by year. BMW has also faced issues with leather chipping but they have been mostly generous with goodwill claims.

Speaker grill falling off on a car costing so much is UNACCEPTABLE. The least Volvo can do here is to replace the cluster as this can not be blamed on the customer and points to poor quality/quality check. Such parts are supposed to last for a very long time and they are not wear n tear parts.
Episodes like these MAKE or BREAK your future customer, brand should accept these issues and make the necessary replacements. The failure of that instrument cluster just can not be blamed on the customer. Mercedes and Bmw have provided so many goodwill claims to members here on team bhp, Volvo can also do the same.

Reiterating the fact again and this is not in connection to this thread, anyone buying these cars, please go in for the MAXIMUM extended warranty possible. The parts fail and they cost a bomb as well.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 24th January 2021 at 00:32.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 02:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjokhi View Post
I am sorry but I disagree. First of all, it is a 2016 manufactured car which makes it more than 4 years old. OP bought it in 2017. So probably, the car was sitting in a stockyard somewhere without any type of care for a whole year. We also don't know if he used any type of chemical to clean the interiors. That might be another reason. We need to hear the story on both sides before bashing an automaker. "The customer is always right" philosophy is right when it makes sense. Extended warranty provided is for a reason. This is the first time I am hearing about interior quality issues in a Volvo. I myself own a 2018 Xc60 and a 2017 v40 and no issues so far. There might be more to the story than we know.
Please don't apologise for disagreeing. You have your viewpoint and I have mine. I believe they can coexist.

I will point out that displays, of which we see more and more nowadays for practically every function used in automobiles go through much higher standards and rigours of testing and approval before use.

You can't hit a pothole at speed and have your instrument cluster blank out on you. Manufacturers can't be like "Oops, I guess you can't see your speed or RPMs anymore. Give me 38 gold and 10 elixir if you want to know what speed you're doing again." Car makers need to be held to higher standards if they're forcing high res, complex display tech down our throats year by year.

Well manufactured, high quality LCDs can be robust and last for years, knocks and bangs and all. An instrument cluster, for any reason less than ripping out wires or taking a hammer to the circuits or screen itself- shouldn't break. Four years including the one year standing in the stockyard? That's nothing. The screen should work as intended with no dead pixels or hotspots. If there are any, the manufacturer clearly cheaped out on their supplier or simply had a lemon in the supply chain and needs to take cognizance of it and replace it in good faith, especially if it's a luxury marque like Volvo.

As for the leather, I find it ridiculous that "heat or cleaning solvent" is what's being given as an excuse for the issue. What did they think OP used to clean the leather, marine grade thinner? On the farthest rim of the dashboard? As a manufacturer or their representative (dealer/service), I'd have been AGHAST to see the leather peeling off that way and ensured that action be taken to rectify the situation immediately, so that my premium product isn't seen in that disheveled state in the public eye, much less reach the front page of TeamBHP! Is that too much to expect for 70 lakh rupees? Or is that treatment only available for those who spent x,99,999 more on their shiny extended warranty?

I'm glad you're having a good ownership experience with your Volvos and I hope that continues. OP however, clearly isn't. Forgive me if I'm not too hot about a manufacturer synonymous with "premium" and "high quality" giving a hard time to it's customer for petty, most-likely quality issues while also upselling extended warranties (because we all know what slim margins these luxury brands operate on already, right?).

Last edited by Singh101 : 24th January 2021 at 02:46.
Singh101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 06:00   #27
BHPian

For the fine minds and souls over at Volvo, I have two simple questions -

First, how much does it cost to fix the dashboard trim? The cost of the most expensive glue (made with the innards of the unicorn that the Geely CEO personally hunted) and labour? Just from a common sense point of view, is it more than the cost of bad PR that this story has already generated - the worst kind of bad PR since it is being widely discussed and viewed on an influencer forum. Family / friends usually reach out to TBHP members for advice on buying cars. Really worth seeding doubts in this crowd, for fixing something that costs less than the CEO's lunch at a 5 star hotel?

Second, I haven't checked how many cars Volvo sells in India - but I'd wager it may be at the 50th-75th percentile of what top individual Maruti service advisors sell. So what exactly are the CEO and other random XOs really busy with here? They don't manufacture anything here either? If you are selling a 30L product for 90L, might as well get one thing right - be proactive with your customers. Too much to ask - if a Maruti SA who is paid 5L per annum can get it right why can't an overpaid executive?

Imagine if this happened to a Tata car - the pitchforks would have been out by now.

Last edited by andafunda : 24th January 2021 at 06:03.
andafunda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 07:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

A few points to ponder while mulling over the following details

- The core issue if I understand correctly is leather cover on instrument panel coming off. Not an instrumental panel failure (as some posts have assumed).
- This is a 4 year old car not three considering we are talking about out of which one year was in a dealer yard subject to all the elements.
- The OP took the informed decision to buy a year old car. I'm sure there was enough discounts to warrant that old vehicle purchase. We all know what wear and tear could happen when we buy a year old product lying in the wearhouse and ask for discounts especially to counter such potential damages.
- There is no extended warranty offered or the OP took the decision not to go for extended warranty while purchasing the car.
- The peeling is seen exactly at the points under the windshield which would have borne the brunt of sunlight/heat across all 4 years whenever not under shade.
- The car is well over a year over warranty period. Important point to consider as this issue (or symptoms) wasn't reported or highlighted over a longer period.
- This wouldn't be an issue that suddenly popped up one fine day so there would have been enough visible hints over a period of time which conveniently was missed out by owner as well (while he's pointed out that the 4th servicing advisor had not informed him).
- In my limited knowledge, leather and similar wear & tear does not come under warranty. Not for the humble Alto. Not for a premium offering. Not when there are way many scenarios where the OP (or someone looking after the car) could be at fault too.

My View: (This comes from a C/D segment car owner and his expectations in a similar situation)

I'd say the OP/Aditya Parakh has the benefit of getting Volvo's attention through this thread - hopefully it does the work and he gets the due benefit of 100% goodwill warranty. Just because you paid nearly 60-70L for a premium vehicle doesn't always guarantee extra freebies. Heck, I wouldn't get such an option from any dealer/manufacturer for any of the cars I have owned.

I'd agree with @V.Narayan on the point that OP should probably take the 50% offer considering the situation. Had it been a mechanical failure, yes - the dealer and Volvo should be much more at ownership.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 24th January 2021 at 07:36.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 08:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

It's really incredible to see few people defending a luxury car's dashboard peeling off! The same set seem super anal over perceived lack of quality at say a 15 lakh Tata or a Mahindra. Different standards for videshi? Even if the videshi is a Chinese company named Geely?
A manufacturer can't claim sun/moon/solvent for his car's leather peeling off. He needs to fix it on his cost.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 24th January 2021 at 08:41.
apachelongbow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 13:33   #30
BHPian

This is really sad; no matter the problem, not being heard for your issues as a customer is a bitter experience and the last thing anyone wants!

There have been a lot of posts for and against Volvo's perceived quality.

I just saw this video from carwow UK which is fairly recent and rank orders various car brands for their reliability based on their study. Volvo is ranked around 15 (and considerably better as compared to its German competitors which start at around 23+).
Such videos are definitely a driving factor for any buyer to short-list the brand they want to buy.

All point being one - i feel this incident cannot be pinned down to state that Volvo's cars are no longer a quality build! Whether this was one unfortunate event or lack of care is yet to be discerned. I hope you get better response from the company and a viable solution soon.
gamingstein is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks