Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:38   #16
BANNED

Re: Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh

I will share my recent experience. My wife's uncle bought a new Maruti Brezza automatic last month. He had been using a Fiat Punto and had covered more than 1.5 lakhs kilometres, so consider him as a person who loves driving. He drives from Chennai to Kerala at times. While having a call with him, he told Brezza now comes with TC and they have ditched the AMT. Then I told him, it's an old TC and it's a 4 speed. He told "no it's a five speed". I stopped the gearbox discussion there and moved on with other things. You don't mess with a senior's choice .

The point that I am trying to make is, even though he knows the difference between an AMT and TC, he assumed the TC to be a five speed because "it's 21st century man, long gone are the days of 4 speed". There are a lot of people for whom an automatic means just an automatic, does not matter if it is AMT, CVT, TC or DCT.

Let me come back to my 'enthusiast sense', Mahindra should have provided a TC for this engine. Their AMT tuning was always an achilles heel. We have heard a lot of issues with TUV300 AMT in this forum itself. Hope this AMT is not plagued with such issues, so that the people who buys this 'automatic' would have a better ownership experience.

Last edited by pavi : 3rd February 2021 at 09:40.
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:23   #17
BHPian

Disappointing, especially when there were rumors around a TC coming up with the petrol. Hopefully, the do give a proper automatic with the Sports version which will come with the mStallion engine. 130 horses and an AMT - that would be anticlimactic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The best sellers like Kia have a DCT, the ones clawing to make a comeback like Nissan have a CVT.
Frankly, I don't think the common buyer understands or cares about the type of automatic on offer. They need one for the convenience rather than the type. KIA sells more because of the lavishness and features on offer (in addition to its lineage with Hyundai). It would have sold the same if it came with an AMT. Having said that, kudos to KIA for offering the DCT/TC, credit where one deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Then there is the severe beating their image took with the TUV fiasco. Yet they 'launch' the exact same technology!
This fear came up when the Diesel AMT was launched initially. However, the AMT on XUV300 is a different one than that in TUV, and there has been little to no complaints about the unit. I believe it is sourced differently, is reliable and one of the smoothest (albeit by AMT standards) in the segment.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:46   #18
BHPian

Apparently, Mahindra wants to clearly distinguish their "premium" products with the AMT - TC box differentiation.

Their >15L products gets proper TC auto boxes, while their <10L and 10L bracket products are only offered with AMT boxes.

No matter how much the noise customers make, the mahindra Marketing and Sales teams have convinced Mahindra top bosses that different type of transmission boxes should be used to differentiate premium offerings and mid-range offerings.

XUV300 being a 10 - 12L price range product is bound to get only the AMT. If someone wants a proper auto, they should look elsewhere. Or buy the upcoming XUV500 or the new Thar.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 3rd February 2021 at 10:48.
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

From what I have read on certain online reports, the elusive Mahindra TGDI 1.2 mStallion engine is rumoured to be equipped with a TC gearbox (in addition to a manual) once it is launched, whenever that might be. That engine develops much more power and torque than the current turbo petrol on offer and therefore, will likely be positioned at a higher price. It is possibly in view of this future path that Mahindra has opted for the AMT instead of a proper TC gearbox for the current turbo petrol.

The mStallion engine has been really long in the making, hope they launch this soon.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 3rd February 2021 at 10:59.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

On one hand, you launch a premium crossover with premium pricing and on the other hand, you give it an AMT gearbox!

That said, one look at Nexon sales shows that people are accepting the AMT driven cars without much thought. XUV300 should be no different.

Buyers have more options now which is good - TC in Ecosport and Brezza, DCT and iMT in Sonet and Venue and finally, AMTs in XUV and Nexon.

One thing I fail to understand - why so late and why so pricey?

Off-Topic:
I haven't driven an AMT ever, nor am I inclined to. But I remember that aquamarine XUV300 AMT. Was being driven hard and aggressively by a young guy. But since the roads were bad with frequent diversions, I always caught up with him for the next 40 odd kms. I distinctly remember, the accelerations were very jerky so much that I was uncomfortable being in the vicinity of that car. I hope the petrol one is tuned better.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

In addition to introducing an AMT option for the XUV300 Petrol, Mahindra now offers an electric sunroof on the mid-variants of both the manual and AMT versions. The W6 Petrol MT with sunroof is priced at Rs. 9.4 lakh (ex-showroom).
I am just curious ... Why now & why not earlier - what changed? (M&M already had the AMT in the diesel). Or was it that they had planned for a different transmission that did not happen for whatever reason.

I am intrigued by this move albeit however logical it may have sounded if it had happened along with the diesel AMT launch.
Old 3rd February 2021, 22:39   #22
AZT
BHPian

My best friend was looking at a Sonet so i asked him to wait for the XUV 300 AT. Heck even the Nexon AT would be great but he wants a Sub 4m AT and Sonet looks the best bet.
Old 3rd February 2021, 23:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The price premium is insane. The same Mahindra only charged 80K premium for a proper torque converter automatic, in the Thar compared to a manual at launch. Now that premium has increased to 90K. That imported transmission from Aisin lugs 1800 KG and supports much higher power and torque ratings, so must have been that much more complex and expensive to build and import. Yet, Mahindra manages to offer it in both petrol and diesel versions of the Thar with such a small premium.

They have got really greedy with the XUV 300 pricing. Recent hikes in Diesel variant prices of XUV300 is another example of this. Soon XUV 300 is going to cost more than a Thar��

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd February 2021 at 23:19.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:52   #24
BHPian

I take a little issue with all the bad press the Marelli AMT is getting in this thread. I have the XUV 300 W6 AMT Deisel and have driven it for 15,000 Kilometers on both highways and city. The AMT is really good. You can feel the car shifting gears for the first three gears, but that's a small price I pay for mileage of 14KMPH in a city versus single-digit economy my friend gets on their Hyundai AT. I am not an enthusiast but am not a sedate drive either, and the acceleration I get between 40KMPH to 100 KMPH is addictive even in the AMT. I am happy to wait in long signals now because my left knee and hand are completely free, and I don't have to compromise on mileage or safety. I know their planners screwed it up concerning boot space. They saw the Creta selling and thought they could get same numbers for higher margins.

The boot space and the antique music system are the drawbacks, but the safety, mileage, and ride quality are absolute plus points. The rear seat space needs to be experienced and is the best in the CSUV segment. It's not a perfect product but it really works for me. Since I got a lower variant, I had spare money to replace the music system after a year. I also added some really high-quality mats and ambient lighting and am set for the next seven to eight years. I came from owning a Ritz and that car was as delicate as a teacup so the XUV 300 has been a boon for me.
akshay_ritz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 13:12   #25
BHPian

+1, As an ex owner, I can confirm that the AMT on XUV300 diesel is pretty decent unlike the one on the TUV300. One negative is that it starts upshifting at higher RPMs (~2500 RPM) in the lower gears especially when cold, which can be irritating sometimes in city traffic. Manual mode to begin and shift to auto after a few kilometers was the workaround.

However, XUV300 deserves at least a TC considering the premium nature of the vehicle and the costs.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:15   #26
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but having driven naturally aspirated petrol, turbo petrol and turbo diesels, AMT experience is best in turbo diesels. My understanding is that the strong torque at lower revs in a turbo diesel masks the weakness of AMT. On the other end, drive a naturally aspirated petrol with an AMT and I am yet to find a car with a livable experience.

No doubt, folks on the thread are sharing a positive experience for diesel AMT variant of XUV 300
Old 6th February 2021, 07:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this belongs to the meme thread, MODs please change to that thread if needed.

Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh-screenshot_20210206072652.png

Tata with the Nexon would also fit perfectly in this meme.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 07:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_ritz View Post
I take a little issue with all the bad press the Marelli AMT is getting in this thread. I have the XUV 300 W6 AMT Deisel and have driven it for 15,000 Kilometers on both highways and city. The AMT is really good. You can feel the car shifting gears for the first three gears, but that's a small price I pay for mileage of 14KMPH in a city versus single-digit economy my friend gets on their Hyundai AT.
Glad to know you like the AMT for your diesel XUV3OO. But if you are making an apples to apples comparison then the Hyundai AT on diesels gives very good mileage . I am getting upwards of 21kmpl on highway runs and around 15kmpl ( sometimes more) on city runs for my Creta 1.5 D.

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Mahindra XUV300 Petrol Automatic (AMT) Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2021 at 14:38. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks