Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Captain Seats 185 43.74%
Bench Seats 238 56.26%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 11:55   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Captain Seats vs Bench Seats | Which one do you prefer in your SUV / MPV and why?

Voted for bench seats – I would say bench seat with a fold-able armrest. That way it is comfortable when the 5th passenger is not in, and the 3rd row needs to come up only when the no. of travellers go above 5.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:00   #32
BHPian

Re: Captain Seats vs Bench Seats | Which one do you prefer in your SUV / MPV and why?

I prefer bench seats with good wide arm rest in my personal SUV. We can have captain seat kind of feeling using the arm rest to some extent.

For me, personally it doesn't matter as I will be the one driving most of the times.
Old 17th February 2021, 12:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

I'm using the Crysta as a frame of reference since I've travelled in both variants: captain and bench seats, a fair bit between Pune - Mumbai (office cab). Where the captain seats bring significant comfort and ease of accessing the last row, bench seats bring in versatility and convenience.

Most buy an MPV to carry a bigger group of people than a sedan can so unless you're a small family of three/four, an MPV with captain seats for the middle row immediately reduces that one major USP of a MPV: fit three in the middle row luxuriously, especially on a long trip with a luggage taking up the last row.

Personally, choosing Bench seats.
Old 17th February 2021, 13:16   #34
BHPian

Voted Bench Seat!

With a kid, bench is the most comfortable for them to lie down/play on long drives. Before a kid, I used the bench seat to take quick breaks on long drives (better than reclining a captain seat).

Also, I've found the only additional comfort provided by bench seats is a longer base that results in nicer under-thigh support, apart from this, a bench seat with a center armrest is much more comfortable for me.

Another issue (mostly Indian context), is that current cars which offer captain seats were likely designed with benches in mind, thus a captain seat usually ends up reducing the leg room ahead of the seat base and more often than not they end up being higher than an equivalent bench seat causing occupants to feel the 'pitch and roll' that much more.
Old 17th February 2021, 13:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

What a timing for this thread
I was looking for an advice on this topic on the TATA Safari review. I'm still confused as I'm juggling between comfort and practicality.

TATA Safari as an example and I believe same is true for most of the seven seaters on offer, getting on to the third row is a bit difficult with captain seats. I wished Safari had the left side captain seat fold straight up with a click of a button to make way for third row access.

Last edited by HammerHead : 17th February 2021 at 13:29.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just asking, how of many of you have actually sat in center piece of a bench seat? Headroom is limited and and in some car even the legroom, thanks to AC vents. I know majority of folks here would be in driver seats and bench seats are indeed lot more practical. Before buying, take your family for a extended drive in bench and captain, I am sure many votes will flip here.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:24   #37
BHPian

Bench Seats:

I use them as bed for my kid on long drive. Even my wife squeezes into this "bed" when needed although in a slight fetal position. Also, most of the chauffeured colleagues/relatives I have are known to keep their briefcase, bags, laptops etc. on the middle bench which they find cumbersome on a captain seat.
Old 17th February 2021, 18:44   #38
BHPian

Even though I don't own a suv/mpv, neither aspire to own one, but still I voted for captain seats. Because in my limited experience with captain seats, I found them comfortable than bench seats.
Also I don't get the logic of getting a 6/7 seater V for a family of 5 or perhaps I'm looking at things from a myopic view.
If it's a family of 6, then only one has to decide between a bench or captain seats. A family of 7 doesn't have that choice.
Old 17th February 2021, 22:51   #39
BHPian

The one thing the pros and cons made me realise that I hadn't thought about before is that if a car has an egregiously high centre tunnel, to my mind at least, it won't be that useful for the poor soul given that seat. So maybe it makes sense to forgo that space and go for the captain seat variant.

Also surely some Honda Jazz engineer is out there that can work out a way to make a captain seat that tumbles effectively to give access to the third row? Every folding captain seat seems to be the most half hearted attempt at creating access.

The other thing I really piped in to say that I find really amusing is the neat distribution of results. It seems the users have voted (more or less) 60:40 in favour of bench seats so far and I for one can't get enough of that little bit of happenstance, given the industry's favourite bench seat split ratio!
Old 18th February 2021, 01:13   #40
BHPian

Voted for Captain Seats!

To each their own, so no pros and cons in any type of seating. For me it is the comfort & safety that matters.

Comfort - Without any doubt all will agree that individual seats offer enormous amount of space just like a first row.

Safety - Putting seat belts is rather a easy task here when compared to the bench seats. At least half of the people not even know where the seat belts are in a bench seat.

I'm a self-driving person so bench seat is not at all required as I don't need to move people. Occasionally I get additional persons (say team lunch or city rides) and I can accomodate them without any fuss.

Also the 3rd row is more useful to carry more luggage. Like in my car Marazzo, I can split fold my 3rd row to accomodate more luggage when situation arises, mostly for touring purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
an MPV with captain seats for the middle row immediately reduces that one major USP of a MPV: fit three in the middle row luxuriously, especially on a long trip with a luggage taking up the last row.
Personally, I never felt comfortable with 3 persons in a row in any of the MUVs or SUV vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
I use them as bed for my kid on long drive.
Never ever do this as safety is compromised with the type of usage you are mentioning here. I know it is possible to use the bench seat as a bed but it is at the cost of safety, so a big NO to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
One major advantage of captain seats is that it somehow makes the occupants wear seat belts. Always difficult to convince someone in the bench to wear seat belt.
++1, It is true that even I observed the same thing here, good you highlighted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
You have your own space and setting. If no captain, I wouldn't bother with looking for an MPV. My family is so spoilt sitting in this, it is difficult to make them sit in another car.
Same here, they are more comfortable & safe now and don't like any other type of seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
2. Third row passengers would not feel claustrophobic, have more space to stretch their legs in the middle and easy adjustment to middle row seat as space needed for third row (for e.g. a tall passenger seating at one side)
Agree 100%, also no hindrance to the rear glass.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 08:48   #41
BHPian

I voted for bench seats.

If chauffeur driven and personal office car then I would go for Captain seats.

Mine is a self driven car with frequent family outings hence I prefer bench seats. The third row is folded away to make space for luggage all throughout the year. So basically it makes the car a 5 seater.

This is one reason I chose the XUV5OO over the Innova Z model. Really wish Toyota gave the option of bench seats on its top end Innova AT Z model. Saving the third row exclusively for luggage, even after spending 25+ big bucks on Innova Z, you basically get 4 seats.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:14   #42
BHPian

Since the poll is for YOUR SUV... and not what you prefer riding in....

Quote:
you prefer in your SUV / MPV and why?
If I was buying myself a car, it would be bench without a doubt simply for the flexibility. We carry our cycles and on the rare occasion some farming supplies in the car. It wouldn't be possible without having a bench seat.

I rode in the back of Varun_Hexaguy's hexa with captain seats and I loved the feeling of having a seat for myself.

Just like GTO said, If chauffeur driven>>> Captain seats.
Otherwise >>> Bench

The benches aren't that bad in comparison. Can fold your legs up and get comfortable in the car. Truly a blessing to be able to travel with friends and family, and if one can't stretch, lean and turn like one could in a bench, it wouldn't be as special.

Last edited by viXit : 18th February 2021 at 09:16.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:00   #43
BHPian

90% of the times I have just 2 co-passengers (Wife and Daughter) in my XUV500 during our long journeys. And we are spoilt by the combination of seating choices we get -

1. Remove the headrest and recline the co-driver's seat completely for rear-left passenger (Wifey) - gives clear view, acres of room and amazing comfort

2. Flat fold entire 3rd row, Flat-fold the 60% part of rear bench, and lay the mattress of your choice. Super comfortable bed is ready for a 6 footer too - factor in the ceiling height and no chance of feeling claustrophobic. And there are 2 dedicated AV vents (B-pillar, shoulder line of 3rd row) for this setup alone. And still there is space for 3 to sit, and some luggage space (50% of 3rd row).

3. Fold flat both 2nd and 3rd row, and you have almost matching luggage space as a twin-cab truck

Yes I have hired captain seats equipped Innova at times and the comfort is just amazing, but for practicality, bench has no match still.
Zinda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 10:02   #44
BHPian

Voted for bench seats.
Not only they allow for one additional passenger in the car to travel in comfort, it also provides more flexibility in terms of luggage capacity (tumble down seats).
Old 18th February 2021, 11:22   #45
BHPian

Voted for Bench Seats. Reasons:

1. One extra seat in middle row making it proper & comfortable 5 seater (or 7 seater depending on the 3rd row design). The captain seats options gives only 4 comfortable seats as the third row is usually less preferred for long journeys.

2. Contrary to the general opinion, I find Bench seats to be more comfortable than Captain seats even with only 2 in the second row. Gives more space to adjust the legs position as per the convenience. e.g. even with seat belt fastened, I can sit with my legs fully folded (similar to how we sit on a bed or sofa).

3. Bench seat offers a wide armrest with cupholders, very useful for long journeys.

Last edited by varman742 : 18th February 2021 at 11:33.
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks