Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 22:27   #106

Re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Got a chance to check CKD- Wrangler in Gurgaon this evening. Local dealership have got one for Test Drive. But I came back unconvinced

Exterior/ Interiors-

Top Grade! quality of the plastics, leather and metal parts, everything is exactly same as CBU. Switchgear feels nice to touch and operate though I didn’t like the placement of controls like window up &down. Similarly, the cabin interior is not well lit and not all controls get lights so finding these in dark can be an issue.

On-Road Drive

For some reasons, past sales history, or just how the way Jeep wants to market, Dealerships have got test drive vehicles in Rubicon trim. Engine sound is minimal as expected and gears are smooth but the moment you pull up the speed, the steering behaves very differently. I don’t know whether this is due to some of my daily drives that I am used to or is this something to do with CKD or just the characteristics of Rubicon with those BF tyres. But, its super vague. Now, mind you this is despite my experience with 2-Door Sahara JK for few thousand Kms in Canada, so this came as big surprise to me.

Maybe some other members can drive and post their views but if someone is willing to book one, will suggest to go for a longish drive before putting an advance.

Can you drive the local one and see if there is any difference or is it just a characteristic, I know, its a Jeep thing but I am disappointed.
Steering feel isn't the best with MTs. Moreover they are KM2s which were designed decades ago and aren't good by today's standards. It's a live axel front so it takes some getting used to. Also, changing the steering stabilizer helps. I am not sure about OEM steering stabilizer in the International Model.
I will drive the Indian made variant and see what else they have changed (after looking at the suspension components physically).
guranshwalia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 06:07   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Got a chance to check CKD- Wrangler in Gurgaon this evening. Local dealership have got one for Test Drive. But I came back unconvinced

Exterior/ Interiors-

Top Grade! quality of the plastics, leather and metal parts, everything is exactly same as CBU. Switchgear feels nice to touch and operate though I didn’t like the placement of controls like window up &down. Similarly, the cabin interior is not well lit and not all controls get lights so finding these in dark can be an issue.

On-Road Drive

For some reasons, past sales history, or just how the way Jeep wants to market, Dealerships have got test drive vehicles in Rubicon trim. Engine sound is minimal as expected and gears are smooth but the moment you pull up the speed, the steering behaves very differently. I don’t know whether this is due to some of my daily drives that I am used to or is this something to do with CKD or just the characteristics of Rubicon with those BF tyres. But, its super vague. Now, mind you this is despite my experience with 2-Door Sahara JK for few thousand Kms in Canada, so this came as big surprise to me.

Maybe some other members can drive and post their views but if someone is willing to book one, will suggest to go for a longish drive before putting an advance.

Can you drive the local one and see if there is any difference or is it just a characteristic, I know, its a Jeep thing but I am disappointed.
First off, Congratulations Guranshwalia; I’m eagerly looking forward to your ownership thread including details about various modifications that you've already done/intend to do on your rig.

Having driven (strictly on pavement) both Sahara & Rubicon in both JL & JK avatars I’ll contribute my two cents for whatever it’s worth.

Both Sahara & Rubicon will behave slightly differently on the road from a steering/handling standpoint owing to different suspension/axle setup and the kind of tires that they come equip with.

The Rubicon comes with “Performance” suspension set up with high-pressure Mono-tube shocks and tunable valves. This suspension setup is quite different from that on Sahara, which comes equipped with the standard heavy-duty suspension with gas shocks. Additionally the Sahara comes with Dana 30 solid front axle with Dana 44 on back while Rubicon has Dana 44 on both front and back axles.

The biggest difference in steering behaviour or lack thereof is contributed by tires; Sahara comes shod with HT tires and Rubicon comes with AT or MT (seems so in India) tires.

There should not be any difference in the CBU import and locally assembled Wrangler ideally as most of the subsystems come semi-assembled and the vehicle is just being put together. I look forward to feedback from the drivers and if they can point out the difference if any.

Turbanator, the Wrangler that you drove was probably a Sahara which comes shod with HT tires as opposed to the Indian Rubicon that you test drove that comes with MT tires and therefore the difference in steering/handling feel. Just to clarify JK Rubicon used to come with BFG MT tires which is no longer the case with JL Rubicon. My personal opinion is that JL Wrangler is a far more polished product than JK ever was. Although I'm not in the market for a 4X4 but JL is much easier to live with in spite of all of its idiosyncracies than JK ever was.

In North America, the JL Rubicons are getting shipped with BFG KO2s which is a great AT tire and not KM2s/KM3s. I’m really surprised that FCA/Stellantis decided to ship Rubicon with KM2s. This is an obsolete design and has been replaced with KM3s besides KO2 would have made much more sense as these Jeeps spend most of the time on pavement. But I guess they read quite well into the mindset that if the tread is overly aggressive then it will go well with the Rubicon’s image.

What most MT buyers don’t realize that the modern AT tires perform well in most situations than dedicated MT tires unless you're putting it on a dedicated rock crawler. I have 5 Wranglers in my cul-de-sac and all these ride on ATs and two of these guys are serious off-roaders. MT tires are most well suited for what M in MT stands for; “Mud”. BFG KO2 will give you 95% of what an MT tire will without any of the harshness/noise/poor handling/breaking on pavement, rain etc.

I hope FCA India/stellantis makes this correction and equips at least the Rubicon with KO2s which will make the Rubicon far more liveable on a day-to-day basis and also improve the steering/handling as compared to what is being provided with these MT tires that the vehicle currently comes equipped with.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 25th March 2021 at 06:30. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:28   #108
BHPian

Jeep Wrangler launched starting at 53.9 L, Rubicon at 57.9L

https://www.jeep-india.com/wrangler-jl.html

Key Highlights:

WRANGLER UNLIMITED
Automatic Headlamps
45.72 cm (R18) Alloy Wheels
Soft-Touch Premium Leather Finish Dash
Ambient LED Interior Lighting
Apple CarPlay™ & Android Auto™
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls With Integrated Voice Command
Rear View Auto Diming Mirror
Electronic Stability Control
Advanced Front And Side Airbags
80th Anniversary Celebration Badging

WRANGLER RUBICON
Rock-Trac® 4x4 system
Tru-Lok® Differentials
255/75R17 Tires
Premium LED Headlamp
Full-framed Removable Doors
Rubicon Hood Decal
Uconnect™ With 21.3 cm (8.4) Touchscreen
80th Anniversary Celebration Badging.
DevilzzzzOwn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 16:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

Made in India Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Off-road and On-road test

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 21:05   #110
BHPian

Any idea regarding discounts being offered on the new Wrangler by dealers?

I heard it’s in the 10 lac plus range. Any truth to that?
Old 30th May 2021, 21:33   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
I heard it’s in the 10 lac plus range. Any truth to that?
Rumours or Fantasy

Even the CBU was not discounted that much and if I am not mistaken, at most places they have back orders.
Old 30th May 2021, 22:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why Mahindra doesn't get them thrown out for the same reasons FCA blocked them in the usa
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:55   #113
BHPian

Re: Rubicon Ground Clearance

Can someone shed some light on what the difference is between US Rubicon and Indian Rubicon, for the Ground Clearance to be 57mm lower in India.

I figured there is a 30mm tire size difference, if that makes up for a 15mm in the 57mm difference, I wonder what else 42mm difference makes up for? I wonder if the Rubicons in the US are lifted by default?

It would have been nice to have the higher ground clearance in India, where we need it the most compared to US even in on-road conditions
Old 6th July 2021, 15:48   #114

Re: Rubicon Ground Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
Can someone shed some light on what the difference is between US Rubicon and Indian Rubicon, for the Ground Clearance to be 57mm lower in India.
Here in India, the ground clearance figures are tested differently compared to US. The ground clearance in India is tested when the vehicle is 'fully loaded'.

That's the term they use, I'm not exactly sure though what it means. Maybe they test the clearance when the car has 5 passengers, or passengers and some luggage as well. The vocabulary isn't clear but the fact is that there is load added in the cabin when tested, and this I think is the reason for the difference.
viknb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:38   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I wonder why Mahindra doesn't get them thrown out for the same reasons FCA blocked them in the usa
I HOPE you are just kidding.The patent laws in India are pretty decent. They pretty much know who copied whom
car love is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 19:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Made in India Jeep Wrangler review

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Locally assembled Jeep Wrangler prices (ex-showroom):

Unlimited: Rs 53.90 lakh

Rubicon: Rs 57.90 lakh
Jeep Wrangler gets a price hike of Rs 1.25 lakh. It is offered in two variants – Unlimited and Rubicon.

Unlimited is now priced at Rs 55.15 lakh

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-smartselect_20211011133429_chrome.jpg

Rubicon is now priced at Rs 59.15 lakh.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-smartselect_20211011133347_chrome.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 11th October 2021 at 13:40.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:18   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Basically, Wrangler is now just a stone’s throw away from the Fortuner’s price tag! Who would have thought?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:43   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Basically, Wrangler is now just a stone’s throw away from the Fortuner’s price tag! Who would have thought?
Still an 22L price difference if you take the regular Fortuner AT 4x4. So you can buy a Fortuner and Thar and then same quite a lot for the modifications as well as fuel.

In my opinion, the Wrangler should have been atleast 10L cheaper than it currently is for what it offers. But then such brands and their buyers thrive on exclusivity by high pricing.
Old 22nd October 2021, 14:25   #120
BHPian

Jeep India has recalled a voluntary recall for the Wrangler SUV in the country. 39 examples of the fully-imported Wrangler have been affected by the recall, all of which were manufactured between January 24 and March 17, 2020. Jeep India says that the affected vehicles possibly have a faulty fuel connector, which may have a propensity to crack and could lead to fuel leakage, creating a fire hazard. The automaker clarified that it's unaware of MY2020 Jeep Wrangler customers reporting a fuel leak or a fire. The locally assembled version also remains unaffected by the recall.

Source - https://www.carandbike.com/news/jeep...nector-2581523

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks