Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why even chauffeur-driven owners should choose an Automatic gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
GPS-based automatic transmissions
This is more a of a theoretical consideration than real.
It’s real enough

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...iew/article07/

Admittedly, today only on high end cars, but it is here and it will trickle down to lower segments.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

GPS-based automatic transmissions like the RR : it's an overkill.
100 percent disagree!

Rolls Royce automobiles have forever been known for being like a butler that just does things for you without you ever even knowing or worrying about it. I watched a review of the RR Dawn and they mentioned the GPS based transmission and I must admit, it left an impression.

Having a transmission communicate with a computer which maps vehicle data with GPS, especially elevation is an ingenious idea. It's SO Rolls Royce!

Approching an urban centre? No need to be hopping gears, just make it smooth and silent.

Mountain roads with a slight incline? Oh, I remember my owner giving seven percent more throttle input than usual- he must want to fly. Let me give him a sportier transmission map.

It's just like cars "remembering" where you used the nose-lift system or where you folded your mirrors and doing it for you the next time. Rolls Royce just turned it up a notch and used it for their transmission! It's beautiful. I love it.
Singh101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:37   #33
BHPian

I just completed a self driven 1500km road trip on our 1.8L Kms run Crysta and enroute I was revaluating the decision to buy the MT against GTO's advice (Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour) to buy the AT.

Our Crysta is chauffer driven 95% of the time and covers most of this distance on the highway.

From a mileage front, I am not too sure if conventional AT can give ~14.5 Kmpl on highway drives. With rising fuel prices, 2Kmpl difference runs in lakhs when calculated over 2L Kms.

The clutch action has become hard and changing clutches did not solve this issue. Had a similar experience with Punto but the issue got resolved once we changed the flywheel instead of skimming it. A flywheel replacement is approx 50k and this cost wasn't factored while getting the MT. This brings the MT Vs AT price difference to less than a lakh now.

The car is absoluetly not driveable by my dad due to the hard steering in city speeds and hard clutch as well. He loves the seating comfort more than the Jetta for the occasional '50Km away from city trips with poor roads' but simply has to stick with the Jetta for self driving. So if me and the driver are unavailable, the Innova is plainly a dead asset at home.

So if we could go back to 2016 we will buy the AT over the MT.
icyspikey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 01:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
100 percent disagree!
... Rolls Royce just turned it up a notch and used it for their transmission! It's beautiful. I love it.
From the perspective of our road conditions, uncertainties where even GPS based navigation has hiccups and given the fact that this thread is subjective to Chauffeur driven scenario, IMHO, this feature is an overkill.

PS: I do admire the technology though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks