Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Ford EcoSport today?
Yes 255 69.11%
No 114 30.89%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 12:04   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford EcoSport

Anyone buying a pre owned Ecosport should be aware of the following as well:

Cars from launch i.e. 2013 to 2015 October were pre update cars. Major changes:

1. Diesel engine received a bump in performance from 90 BHP to 100 BHP
2. Indicator stalks were swapped for India orientation.
3. Auto headlamps
4. tailgate opening button was hidden inside the handle
5. Auto dimming IRVM
6. Rain sensing wipers.
7. front DRL inside fogs and rear fogs added (one reverse light removed)

Other than the power increasing across the range the other 6 points applied only to top end Titanium + variant.

After that the onslaught of the touch screens came and Ford was left behind. To counter this they added a touch screen sometime in early 2017. This was the worst possible touchscreen implementation. It was some chinese head unit that had horrible audio quality and laggy and many bugs. Was made by Fly audio. This variant should be avoided

In 2018 the facelift came out with the fantastic SYNC3 system and updated interiors as well as new 1.5L NA dragon engine.

Versions to avoid:
- 1.5L Ti-VCT petrol 4 cylinder with dry clutch DCT - horrible reliability and driveability.
- 1.0L Ecoboost 5 speed transmission - parts are not cheap and massive turbo lag
- 1.5L Ti-VCT manual transmission - not bad but it was an average engine with not great mid range.
- Any variant with Fly audio sold in 2017!

Versions worth considering:
- Diesel top end variants with 6 airbags are great VFM for a super safe car at lower price. Cheapest 6 airbag option in the market.
- 1.5L Dragon engine facelift 2018 - Both AT and MT are good buys.
- 1.0L Ecoboost S variants - This was updated with a new 6 speed gearbox and reduced turbo lag. While parts are expensive, this is most fun to drive variant and has the maximum kit with sexy alloys. You get Xenon lights only in this variant.

In terms of reliability and after sales the Ecosport is very cheap on the pocket to maintain and I have not had any major issues with it. Here's some common complaints:

1. Radiator fan relay switch (Rs. 2K to fix)
2. Underbody cover coming loose (not happened for me but seen many). Only diesel has it.
3. Poor headlights. Fixed post 2018 facelift. Pre 2018 cars are pathetic lights.
4. 17 inch alloys damage tyres easily.
5. Lug nuts on the alloy wheel versions get deformed. Carry spare lugs. They are 200 odd per lug nut i think.

My car has been trouble free and just regular service. Service costs are generally 5-8K maximum and only when something like brake pads/discs were changed did it cross 10K.
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:24   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes. It is 8 years old and still manages to rake in consistent numbers. More impressive considering Ford has struggled to make a dent with all its other models in the volume segment.

Still looks good, Ford has kept it updated with relevant updates, plenty of choice in the used car market and I assume would get good deals on it.

Only word of caution is the DCT variant, not a great option and is known to have had issues worldwide.
Old 12th April 2021, 15:07   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The DRL was added inside the headlights, not the fogs. If I remember correctly, Ford also debuted the brown shade with this update

Quote:
After that the onslaught of the touch screens came and Ford was left behind. To counter this they added a touch screen sometime in early 2017. This was the worst possible touchscreen implementation. It was some chinese head unit that had horrible audio quality and laggy and many bugs. Was made by Fly audio. This variant should be avoided
I don't think they sold many with touchscreens in the Pre FL version. I think it was on sale only for a couple of months or so before the 2018 facelift came along so any versions showing up on the used market are also unlikely

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th April 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 12th April 2021, 15:32   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
The DRL was added inside the headlights, not the fogs. If I remember correctly, Ford also debuted the brown shade with this update
Yes they did add a LEd strip in the headlight but they also added an additional DRL in the fog light.

the fog light housing had 2 bulbs in later variants. top half was DRL and lower part was fog lamp.

Quote:
I don't think they sold many with touchscreens in the Pre FL version. I think it was on sale only for a couple of months or so before the 2018 facelift came along so any versions showing up on the used market are also unlikely
Plenty of them sold to let people be aware of them and to avoid. A casual olx search for 2017 Ecosport resulted in 15-20 cars with that horrible screen.
Old 21st May 2021, 19:34   #50
BHPian

I am in the used car market for EcoSport 1.5 TDCi, specifically with 6 airbags.
My observation is that used EcoSport with 6 airbags variant is very rare.
The few with 6 airbags have 1 lakh+ Kms odo and are terribly overpriced.

A few doubts:
1. What was the first model to have 6 airbags? 2013-15 Titanium (O) or 2015-17 Titanium+?
Follow up question- did any model had TCS, ESC before 2015 Titanium+?

2. Did the very first 2013 model of EcoSport have ABS in all variants?
Old 21st May 2021, 20:41   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
A few doubts:
1. What was the first model to have 6 airbags? 2013-15 Titanium (O) or 2015-17 Titanium+?
Follow up question- did any model had TCS, ESC before 2015 Titanium+?

2. Did the very first 2013 model of EcoSport have ABS in all variants?
1. When the car was launched in 2013, it came with 6 airbags in the Titanium (DCT only) and Titanium (O).

Only the DCT automatic (2013) in the Titanium variant got Hill-Hold, ESP, TC and brake assist.

2. Trend variant onwards got ABS in 2013.

Attaching brochure for the 2013 EcoSport
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...t-brochure.pdf

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st May 2021 at 20:46.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 07:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Versions worth considering:
- Diesel top end variants with 6 airbags are great VFM for a super safe car at lower price. Cheapest 6 airbag option in the market.
- 1.5L Dragon engine facelift 2018 - Both AT and MT are good buys.
- 1.0L Ecoboost S variants - This was updated with a new 6 speed gearbox and reduced turbo lag. While parts are expensive, this is most fun to drive variant and has the maximum kit with sexy alloys. You get Xenon lights only in this variant.
Great reply, very helpful! Thanks for the insights.

Was/is there a version with auto box in diesel? Olx search for diesel only yields MT.
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Great reply, very helpful! Thanks for the insights.

Was/is there a version with auto box in diesel? Olx search for diesel only yields MT.
There is no Auto transmission variant in diesel for EcoSport. Only the Petrol had them.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 00:25   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they did add a LED strip in the headlight.
If I am not wrong you mean the 'signature light guide' in the headlight. These were not LEDs! They cost 17K in late 2014 and were introduced as an accessory before being officially available in 2015. I had got them installed from FASS because I wanted that cool light guide to glow at night when the car was unlocked . In the day they are barely visible when switched on.

Name:  EcoSport Light Guide.png
Views: 1141
Size:  252.5 KB
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 17:05   #55
BHPian

Which one will be more fun to drive: Ecosport diesel TDCI S or petrol 1.5 Dragon S? I am also unable to decide which one to go for considering maintenance.
Old 4th July 2021, 09:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
Which one will be more fun to drive: Ecosport diesel TDCI S or petrol 1.5 Dragon S? I am also unable to decide which one to go for considering maintenance.
Both are equally good when it comes to fun to drive and maintenance, but diesel will be lighter on the pocket when you fill up at the fuel bunk as you can get almost 750-800 km in one full tank. Petrol gives max of 600kms

Last edited by jithin23 : 4th July 2021 at 09:24. Reason: Spelling
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 22:38   #57
BHPian

This post dint age well!

How do bhpians feel about buying a used ecosport (petrol, automatic, newer than 2018) at this time, now that ford has packed up.
Need an automatic compact SUV for wify, and I dont see many options with following criteria -
  • No AMT's or DCT's
  • Preferably good safety rating
  • Comfortable seats, good interiors preferably in light colours
  • Sunroof would be a bonus
  • new or mildly used cars in 10 plus/minus 2 lakhs budget

Nexon/Punch fits perfectly for her needs, but I just cant stomach tata AMT's and its 3 cylinder petrols.
Magnite is the only new car that I feel suits the needs, but seats and interiors are a compromise.

PS - being in bangalore, I dont expect a good bargain/price on ecosport. I will probably have to buy from spinny at a pretty high price.

Last edited by speedracer05 : 7th January 2022 at 22:39.
Old 18th January 2022, 23:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
This post dint age well!

How do bhpians feel about buying a used ecosport (petrol, automatic, newer than 2018) at this time, now that ford has packed up.
Need an automatic compact SUV for wify, and I dont see many options with following criteria -
  • No AMT's or DCT's
  • Preferably good safety rating
  • Comfortable seats, good interiors preferably in light colours
  • Sunroof would be a bonus
  • new or mildly used cars in 10 plus/minus 2 lakhs budget

Nexon/Punch fits perfectly for her needs, but I just cant stomach tata AMT's and its 3 cylinder petrols.
Magnite is the only new car that I feel suits the needs, but seats and interiors are a compromise.

PS - being in bangalore, I dont expect a good bargain/price on ecosport. I will probably have to buy from spinny at a pretty high price.
Did you buy the car? I am in the same boat and can’t find any other car which suits the requirements this well.

Quote:
Anyone buying a pre owned Ecosport should be aware of the following as well:

Cars from launch i.e. 2013 to 2015 October were pre update cars. Major changes:

1. Diesel engine received a bump in performance from 90 BHP to 100 BHP
2. Indicator stalks were swapped for India orientation.
3. Auto headlamps
4. tailgate opening button was hidden inside the handle
5. Auto dimming IRVM
6. Rain sensing wipers.
Hi vid6639

I am trying to find out if there was a variant with Sunroof 6 airbags and AT combination? I have found a manual transmission for sale but not a single car with auto transmission which has 6 airbags and sunroof.
Old 19th January 2022, 00:56   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I am trying to find out if there was a variant with Sunroof 6 airbags and AT combination? I have found a manual transmission for sale but not a single car with auto transmission which has 6 airbags and sunroof.
Search for a 1.5L Ti-VCT Titanium+ AT it got the TC 6 speed with a sunroof and 6 airbags.

For reference:
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...port-D2643647/
Old 19th January 2022, 03:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Search for a 1.5L Ti-VCT Titanium+ AT it got the TC 6 speed with a sunroof and 6 airbags.

For reference:
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...port-D2643647/
Thanks for the link. So there’s one variant. But it looks like it’s a very rare variant. I couldn’t find even a single car for sale on various platforms in entire NCR region.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks