Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2021, 12:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April

I guess this arrangement can be best used for friends with paws.

Last edited by anilupadhya : 8th April 2021 at 12:18.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:40   #32
BHPian

This has got to be a joke. It is going to be super crampy in there. I wonder what got them to even come up with this product. Sounds like if this is the approach that manufacturers are going to take, to make 5 seaters into 7 seaters then might as well sell the 3rd row bench as an option rather launch such a product as a new model altogether.
LPJ777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:55   #33
BHPian

Here's a walkaround video of the seven seater Sonet in english.

ATRONIX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 13:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post

https://Youtu.be/Fvzfp5lgZ_w
This is a joke, right? I mean, I don't know which is more believable now - the Sonet 7, or the OLA autonomous electric flying car (https://olaairpro.com/)!

With a family of 4 and a dog of middling size, all I can say is:

"Honda, all is forgiven; bring back the BRV, please!"
Also:
"Tata, have you seen this?? Why are you frittering away the Hexa??"
Jammy70 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 14:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
At 4.06 in the video, the reviewers head is popping out from where the closed boot door should be
Attached Thumbnails
Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-screenshot_20210408135638.png  

r0nit7 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 14:27   #36
BHPian

I think its an insane idea to even think about such a car. Better to sit on the floor in a 5 seater Sonet than in such an unsafe seating arrangement, even if its for kids.
Old 8th April 2021, 14:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
At 4.06 in the video, the reviewers head is popping out from where the closed boot door should be
That is really scary! About a month ago there was a thread regarding the safety of third row passengers in 7 seaters and we were worried about the small gap that existed between the tailgate and the bench. Now Kia has taken a step in the negative direction and the Sonet's third row occupants will probably feel like they're sitting on the road with that 0 litre boot.
JohaanTJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 15:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by purb_du View Post
I think its an insane idea to even think about such a car. Better to sit on the floor in a 5 seater Sonet than in such an unsafe seating arrangement, even if its for kids.
In the video the reviewer mentions that his height is 170cms and he is taller than average Indonesians. He even keeps saying again and again that the last row of seats in the Sonet is strictly for kids or at the max teenagers, that too for just short journeys. Taller passengers will need to sit in the front two rows only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohaanTJ View Post
That is really scary! About a month ago there was a thread regarding the safety of third row passengers in 7 seaters and we were worried about the small gap that existed between the tailgate and the bench.
Yes I remember that thread. Lot of debate over the safety of the passengers sitting in the last row with their heads and necks so close to the boot door and glass in case of rear ending. Being a Triber owner, I too have that fear for my family/friends sitting in the last 2 seats. But now I pity the last row occupants of cars like Go Plus and now Sonet 7 seater.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 15:49   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

No need to be alarmed Gentlemen. If the space management is as good as a Triber - which is unbelievable - this should work as well. Already there has been plenty of debate as to whether its Sonet that has a bigger boot or Seltos - Looks like that is now settled on the basis of two extra people being fitted in there.

Well done Kia.

Now for those interested - there was such an accessory to add an extra 6th seat in Duster as well, I considered buying it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 17:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

A detailed look at the 7-seater Kia Sonet

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-kia-sonet-7-seater-india.jpg

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-img_20210330_161208.jpg

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-extra-seat.jpg

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-interiorthird-row-foldedcmyk.jpg

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-interiorsecondthird-row-foldedcmyk.jpg

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-air-blower.jpg

Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-10.25_-touch-screen.jpg
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:47   #41
BHPian

Unpopular opinion: I guess this car actually makes sense. There are people who want a compact city car for their daily commute and do not want to lug around a big 7 seater. However, they may occasionally have extra visitors, and this is when they unfold the third row and make kids or short adults to travel in them for short journeys. Of course, the implementation is nowhere as well rounded as the Renault Triber, but please do consider the fact that the Triber was always meant to be a 7 seater. You'll be able to appreciate this car if you think of it as a 5 + 2 seater, with last row meant for occasional usage rather than a 7 seater.
The elephant in the room however, is the safety. The seats are literally placed in the boot. A rear end collision on the highway could potentially have serious consequences for the luggage/humans placed in the boot.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:09   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
No need to be alarmed Gentlemen. If the space management is as good as a Triber - which is unbelievable - this should work as well. Already there has been plenty of debate as to whether its Sonet that has a bigger boot or Seltos - Looks like that is now settled on the basis of two extra people being fitted in there.

Well done Kia.

Now for those interested - there was such an accessory to add an extra 6th seat in Duster as well, I considered buying it.
The Triber is really an excellent example of space management and probably has much more space than the Kia Sonet 7 seater. Reasons why I say this is :
1) When the 3rd row seats are removed, the boot space is 625 L while on the 5 Seater Sonet it is 390L - however in this case they have removed the spare tyre, so that may increase the available space by another 80L so available space may be 470L , but still much lesser than the 625L of the Triber

2) The Triber has a very ingenious stepped roof design (which is not easily visible as they have hidden it with the roof rails. The back part of the roof is raised 2-3 inches compared to the front part of the roof. This increases the available headroom for the 3rd row of passengers dramatically and even 5'8" people (like me!) are able to sit comfortably.
The Kia Sonet does not have this feature.

3) The Front overhang and the engine bay of the Triber is quite small, which allows it to have much more in cabin space. It is designed only for 1L Petrol engines, which are anyway very small. The Kia Sonet has a much larger flat bonnet, and an engine bay which can accommodate 1.5 L Diesel engines too (which is significantly larger!) so there is less space available for the cabin.
But overall, the Triber is let down by the 1L NA engine which is very underpowered and unexciting and lack of a proper AT box. If they launch it with the Turbo 1L CVT combo from the Magnite/ Kiger, that would really make the Triber a much better package overall.

4) the Renault Triber also has proper AC vents for all three rows - B Pillar mounted vents for the second row and Roof Mounted AC vents for the third row (these are proper AC vents with Cooling) and not just a blower fan like the Kia Sonet 7 seater as shown.

For a 7 seater Kia Sonet to be practical for India, they would need to increase the length by at least 300 mm overall (cabin length increase), then it could become a comfortable 7 seater, but ideally it should be around 4.5m overall, as that would also allow some amount of luggage to be fit in after seating 7 passengers.
I believe Kia is already working on such an MPV for India and we may likely see it by the festive season this year. That should be a much better car for 7 people compared to this force fit jugaad which they have created.

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th April 2021 at 10:16.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 2461
Size:  530.3 KB
The third row doesn't look all that too comfortable and might be best reserved for the little ones. Maybe this vehicle will work in certain markets where the height of the population is a factor favoring the size of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
However, they may occasionally have extra visitors, and this is when they unfold the third row and make kids or short adults to travel in them for short journeys.
Even I support this idea. One cant get a bigger car just for that one day in a month when relatives/friends come over. Where taxis/rentals are not available, this 7 seater will get the job done.

Last edited by TrackDay : 9th April 2021 at 10:25.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:42   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For a 7 seater Kia Sonet to be practical for India, they would need to increase the length by at least 300 mm overall (cabin length increase), then it could become a comfortable 7 seater, but ideally it should be around 4.5m overall, as that would also allow some amount of luggage to be fit in after seating 7 passengers.
Yes Triber is surprisingly spacious even in the 3rd row, it far better than a lot of bigger 7 seaters.

Dimensions aside, its not a low slung vehicle therefore the space should be adequate for kids in the 3rd row. Afterall a Bolero fits the same number of people despite having a long engine room, this too should work.

You maybe able to manage a 3+3 - two family road trip with moderate luggage, you can do 4+2 joint family trips too, which I think is an advantage for such a vehicle, it surely expands the customer profile.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 09:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Yes Triber is surprisingly spacious even in the 3rd row, it far better than a lot of bigger 7 seaters.
The Triber is brilliantly packaged. But am not surprised. Don't forget that it was Renault who created the MPV segment in Europe, way back in the 80's with the Renault Espace; which gave a new definition and style to family transportation.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks