Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2007, 13:29   #31

I had been to a dealer in Chennai for an indigo, and it looked like the new cars themselves looked like seconds. there was a brand new 45kms done Indigo, which I took out for a test drive. There were hums, screeches and all kinds of noises emanating from that!
Old 28th April 2007, 18:51   #32
BHPian

Places Like Kurla (Mumbai) you will find Mahindra Jeeps or Jeep body parts which are rejected by company. Last time i saw Mahindra pickup and Scorpio. He quoted 1.5 lac less for scorpio told me that while loading in truck Scorpio slipped and hit the ground from 5-6 ft. He had repaired it.But still you could easly figure it out the damage . To my surprise this kind of cars are in great demand dealers from rural areas buy such cars.
Old 28th April 2007, 21:17   #33
BHPian

Not surprising at all. Looks like my Victa GX TC was sent to wrong dealer by oversight, instead it should have been at this Factory Seconds Outlet.

So long....
Old 29th April 2007, 21:07   #34
BHPian

even "factory first's" from tata are full of faults .........wonder how factiry seconds will be???!!!
Old 29th April 2007, 23:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
Not surprising at all. Looks like my Victa GX TC was sent to wrong dealer by oversight, instead it should have been at this Factory Seconds Outlet.

So long....
Come on varunroy, it cant be that bad.
Old 30th April 2007, 15:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Come on varunroy, it cant be that bad.
Even I keep telling that to myself all the time, but the other part of me refuses to accept that.

So long....
Old 24th May 2007, 18:18   #37
BHPian

Today I saw a workshop here in Sec-2 Noida. They had 4/5 new santro cars with no number plate and every part being covered. All cars were looking like a brand new one. It made curious, so I went ahead and talked to the owner of it. He explained in this way, "All these cars are those, which get some dents, scratches, while being delivered to Dealers from Hyundai. Earlier Hyundai used to sell these cars via dealers but there were few customers, who logged case against Hyunday, stating that their cars had already some dents, which were removed later on in workshop and were sold like a new car but actually they are not.
So after this case, Hyundai stopped selling these cars via their authorised dealers and started giving them to 3rd party like him.
He was offering 50K to 1L discount on various models and he was also ready to provide registration number etc but no warranty.
I was more surprised to see that chasis and engine numbers were removed deliberetely and this guy had no explaination on it. Can't say exactly whats going on but I will never ever buy a car from place like this.
Old 24th May 2007, 21:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlather View Post
He was offering 50K to 1L discount on various models and he was also ready to provide registration number etc but no warranty.
I was more surprised to see that chasis and engine numbers were removed deliberetely and this guy had no explaination on it. Can't say exactly whats going on but I will never ever buy a car from place like this.
How do they provide registration without a chassis or engine number? why would Hyundai (or any other manufacturer) want their chassis-engine numbers wiped out before sale, even for a damaged vehicle? If the car is only scratched and no more, then they should provide warranty on the rest of the mechanicals.

Hmm.. some thing is rotten in the state of...
Old 24th May 2007, 21:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
... i have been to these auctions & i know what transpires. these auctions are not for the common man.
Hi Esteem_lover, I'm curious to know what these auctions are like. Can you provide us with a short description when you find the time? How does one get to know about it? I've only heard that ICICI/ GE/ Apeejay/ Kotak, etc auction off their bad debt cars every once in a while. Never seen it happen.

Who buys them? used-car dealers?
Old 25th May 2007, 11:19   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Factory rejects have silently existed in India, for as long as the industry. Its a known practice but there is a lot of hush-hush around it as no manufacturer wants to be associated with selling defective products. Its not only limited to the manufacturer but even the dealerships. Accident / body damage cars are the most common you will find in the "seconds" market.

However, there are some "honourable" manufacturers who use the factory rejects only for their employees.
A further note : Always buy a brand new car from the company's authorised dealership. Ever wonder how unauthorised dealers can offer unbelievable discounts on brand new cars? Yup.....some push factory rejects through.
Old 11th February 2008, 15:30   #41
OEM
BHPian

Yes Factory seconds do exist and it is thriving business

Zappo
yes there are so called seconds shops for cars too. And the incidence seems maximum in Chennai given the high number of manufacturers here. The vehicles are of the following types....
a) Randomly picked Test vehicles that fail quality tests.
b) Vehicles used inside the factory premises (usually by the top management - to run between shop floors)
c) Vehicles that are rejected by the paint shop qc.
d) Vehicles damaged in transist.
e) Vehicles used by final test qc team.
There are atleast two very vocal dealers in Chennai dealing in Ford and Hyundai.

Some of these vehicles are also sold in a process called gate-sale. Where employees of the manufacturing unit can invite friends and relatives to pick the car from the gate. From thereon it his responsibility.

And yes, the vehicles are only refurbished, not replaced with new parts (the defective items, i mean) and NO WARRANTY.

Regs
OEM
Old 11th February 2008, 20:59   #42
BHPian

Umm.. i dont think that they are factory rejects...may just be those cars whose took a full insurance claim.....the insurance guys take the old car and auction it..th guy buying that car probably sells it as a new one....Insurance cars are the accident cars right?
I knew about guys who buy accident insurance car's/bikes strip them down to the parts and sell them as spares....may be the less severely damaged ones are touched up and sold.
Old 11th February 2008, 22:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Today me and my pal were running around looking for a new car for him,when all of a sudden we came across what looked like your every day grocery store with a few new indica's,a safari,a indigo outside[all without any registration plate].So I thought this was some tata dealer operating from a one room shop and was curious to pay a visit.

But we were in for a suprise the guy was actually selling rejected pieces from the factory/official tata dealer.The indica had a reduction of 50k,indigo and safari [reduction was in lakhs].I wondered who actually purchased these cars but to my suprise the safari and indigo were sold out,and he told me that the indica's too were on the verge of being finalised by a party and that his business is doing quite well.The guy even offers 3 free services,no warranty though. If I waited for a week he could get me whatever I wanted for a special rate.I thanked him and left the place[I am never going back there].I had heard of this with regards to clothes but cars.

The indica was closest to me and in one glance I noticed that the indica had huge panel gaps,the headlamps were not properly fixed in ther slot and there were huge gaps,There were some scratches here and there on the bumper,the door looked like it had been repainted.The fog lamps too were not correctly fitting.The safari looked kind of okay maybe it had been repainted could not make out as it was far away.
rahul please can u tell me where this occured and who is the person selling such stuffs and making fool out of people. there is nothing such stuff such as rejected factory sales. please give me the persons name and address.

when the vehicle gets out of factory a PDI is done. again when it reaches the dealers he does the inspection at his end. if found faulty he returns it to the factory where it is reworked. whatever happens the hell he cannot sell the defective products knowingly.

this is a serious issue which needs to be highlighted. please givve me the details
Old 11th February 2008, 23:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Can we know who the "honourable" manufacturers are..??
Mods, can i name one of those horrible . . . err honourable manufacturers? i have a reliable source.

raj
Old 12th February 2008, 12:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is there

Its true that there is a market for rejected cars.

I would like to give example of a two wheeler.
I am in college so a lot of people are hungry for Pulsar.
My friend told me that he was buying one Pulsar 150 at 39000/- On The Road.

I went to that place and came to know it was a grey market for poor quality peices. The colours of different panels wont match. But still my friend went on to buy one just because of the brand name.

Three months down the line, he is having troubles and big ones like wierd noises from engine, front fork leaking after just 2500kms, electricals not working properly and mainly a host of other engine related problems.

But the real surprise came to me when some one from different branch (study branch) approached me to buy a new Safari Dicor for 6.5Lakh!
Seriously shocked, I bunked the lectures for him just to see damaged Safari. It was with one of the most uneven panel gaps I have ever seen.
Even locking system was not good.
Test ride was one of the more horrible part of it.
The noises were like " The engine will die if asked to pull this car an inch further." The dealer was ready to replace the engine.
He also bought that, and there are quality issues like some power window not working, etc,but after the repacement of engine he still got this car for 6.5Lakh and the engine is working fine. Reliability from other parts including lights and rubber parts in the doors is bad. After a wash you can see water on seats and floor.

In both the above cases there was no warranty.

And on the personal note, when we were out to buy a new midsize car, before settling for Baleno, some one told my father that we will get Safari for 7 lakh.
Along with my father, i simply said no to that "Friend", though he went to buy one and eventually got involved into accident because of the faulty braking system.

He got very less insurance money.

ONE LAST WORD. ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM THESE TEMPTING PRICES AND DEALS. THEY ARE WORTH NOTHING.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 12th February 2008 at 12:42. Reason: Spelling mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks